Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Question Max Leveling Angle

Have not yet purchased our home on wheels, but trying to learn all we can. I picture parking a 32-36 ft motorhome on driveways some of the time. How much of a slope can the levelers contend with? I don't see this as a spec on the vehicles we're researching.

Thanks,
Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

Far enough to pick tires off the ground which is a no no.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Max Leveling Angle

They are not designed for big slopes but they can pick tires off the ground which is a no no. Sorry post number 2 would not post until post 3 did strange.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagaron View Post
Have not yet purchased our home on wheels, but trying to learn all we can. I picture parking a 32-36 ft motorhome on driveways some of the time. How much of a slope can the levelers contend with? I don't see this as a spec on the vehicles we're researching.

Thanks,
Ron
Not much slope and there are no specs on this other than common sense. I use blocks to drive up on if needed to get the coach pretty much as level as possible and then fine tune with the jacks. I never park with my front wheels off the ground and never have your back wheels off the ground or no brakes. If I can not achieve getting level using the method above then I will not stay there.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

Thanks,
Ron
My gas Class A coach has a LCI hydraulic leveling jack system and Auto mode will deal with about 2.5 degrees out of level front to back or side to side. Controlling manually can correct up to about 3 degrees. This is max without using leveling boards or blocks. You never want to park without using boards or blocks where the back is the low end such that most or all weight is taken off the rear wheels as this prevents the parking brake that only locks the rear wheels on gas class As from keeping the vehicle in its fixed position.

When parking on ground that is more out of level than 2.5 degrees I have to drive low side or end tires up on to leveling boards or blocks and put blocks to the same extent under the locations where the jacks go down next to the tires that are driven up on blocks. One side effect of this is that the bottom door step down to the ground can become too much and I have a foldable step that I can place on the ground next to the bottom door step to address this.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If you dump the bags and also use jacks this will give you more flexibility. But as others have stated never measured the actual angle.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The answer depends on the MH you have! Some have air leveling only, some have air leveling AND hydraulic jacks, and some have just hydraulic jacks. The available leveling height is different for different manufacturers also!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks,
Ron
vagaron
If you carry chocks and blocks you can successfully park/camp on most any slopped driveway or campsite.

Usind the RVA jack levelers on my coach I have camped with both front tires off the ground as much as 12 inches, and sometimes with both rear tires off the ground, chocking one, (or both), fronts with a pair of these:

http://www.trafficsafetywarehouse.co...20%20%20%2020/

BTW before the nay-sayers post their negative opinions I have to say that is NOT a recommendation...just what I do.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
Old 10-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Happy Traveler : )

the coach does not care if it is level or not, only you do - are you just parking the coach, or are you living in it?
most of us will tell you that there are certainly times and places where perfectly level may not be possible - but that is more to your comfort than anything. We all want level surfaces, but few are. Your coach should be able to handle most situations - and you can even choose NOT to use the levelers - though most will to provide stability as well as leveling.

Don't fret about it too much...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
the coach does not care if it is level or not, only you do - are you just parking the coach, or are you living in it?
most of us will tell you that there are certainly times and places where perfectly level may not be possible - but that is more to your comfort than anything. We all want level surfaces, but few are. Your coach should be able to handle most situations - and you can even choose NOT to use the levelers - though most will to provide stability as well as leveling.
Don't fret about it too much...
MisterT
While I agree that the coach does not care if it is level or not... if you have, and use, an absorption refrigerator in the coach that refrigerator DOES care.
See: How Level Is Level Enough For Your RV Refrigerator?
Mel
'96 Safari, 148 k miles...(with a 20 year old working model 682 Norcold fridge).
Old 10-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Yes, if it were not for the refer, the coach doesn't care. That said, I would hope you could find a reasonably flat place, that would not be trying to twist the coach the whole time it's being stored.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #12

Max Leveling Angle

My driveway, where I keep the MH, is on a 15-20 degree slope. I put two 2x4's and three leveling blocks under the front leveling jacks. The tires are raised about 14 inches off the ground to be level. I put a plastic truck ramp and a leveling block under the tires for some support. The leveling is for when the refrigerator is running or I need to open the slides. Otherwise, I don't level it.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:18 AM   #13

On the Level

Thanks for all the info and ideas. Only time we rented an RV the owner warned us not to deploy the slide-outs until the coach was level because it could put too much stress on the supports and retraction mechanism.

Some reported making their own blocks to place under the jacks. Are there blocks for that purpose you can buy at RV centers?
Old 10-14-2016, 05:38 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easiest and lowest cost solution for landing pads is to head down to you local big box store, grab and length of 2" X 12" X 8' pressure treated lumber and have them cut it into 12 inch lengths. Cost you about $1.50 each for eight pads and that will probably out last the coach.

Tags
leveling