Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Max Load Rating on MH Tires

I was wondering if this is common practice for MH manufactures. My max axel load for the steer axel is 10410lbs. The max Load for the tire that came with the MH is a Michelin 255/80R22.5 XRV is 5205lbs.The rear axel loads and tire max loads are the same way. Do most MH come set up like this. It seems to me that there should be a little room there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
I was wondering if this is common practice for MH manufactures. My max axel load for the steer axel is 10410lbs. The max Load for the tire that came with the MH is a Michelin 255/80R22.5 XRV is 5205lbs.The rear axel loads and tire max loads are the same way. Do most MH come set up like this. It seems to me that there should be a little room there.
Costs less money this way. You can upgrade the tires but the max axle load will still be the same UNLESS the manufacturer issues you a new weight sticker like they did with ours. Very unusual to get a modified vehicle sticker I might add.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

Have you checked the weight of your MH? From what you have posted I do not see much of an issue as long as you are NOT over loaded.
With a rating of 5205 for the front tires, that will equal 10410 lbs (5205x2=10410) and the rear axle at 20820lbs.
What is the 'recommended' tire air psi for your MH? How does that compare to what the 'recommended' psi on the tire?
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Have you checked the weight of your MH? From what you have posted I do not see much of an issue as long as you are NOT over loaded.
With a rating of 5205 for the front tires, that will equal 10410 lbs (5205x2=10410) and the rear axle at 20820lbs.
What is the 'recommended' tire air psi for your MH? How does that compare to what the 'recommended' psi on the tire?
The max load is downgraded for tires in dual configuration on almost every chart I've seen and that includes the tires the OP has.
The chart for the XRV 255/80 22.5 shows a max single of 5205 and dual of 9610.
So the max front axle load could be 10,410 but the rear would only be 19,220.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

I have checked the weight of my MH twice in the last 6 weeks and am having issue getting it under weight. Heading to the manufacture this week to get some answers. I'm trying to gather info before the meeting. I'm way over on the steer axel and GVW over all. Not sure what is going on but I don't have that much in it. The build sticker shows a total cargo capacity of 2855lbs. Not sure if that is including fuel. It is not including water. Full tank of water is 716lbs. we never carry much fresh and when we weighted it we had empty B&G and less than 1/4 fresh. We hope to get a better understanding of the weight on Thursday. The manufacture has been very helpful.Our GVW is 27910 and I hit the scales at 28500 with steer axel at 11120.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our DSDP had an advertised NCC of about 5,200#'s so I was very surprised to see a CCC of only 633#'s at delivery. We didn't even get the washer/dryer nor real tile floor. The front axle was 50#'s overweight if I filled the propane and fuel tank full, BEFORE we ever loaded anything or got onboard.

To fix it Newar had Spartan change the 12,000# front axle for a 14,600# one. While at Spartan they inspected the whole rig and said there was no reason for Newmar to derate the rear axle to 19,000#'s as it was a 20,000# unit and nothing Newmar did would change that rating.

Newmar did issue us a new, modified vehicle sticker that was affixed above the original one. Gained 2,600#'s on the front and while not really legal, an add'l 1,000#'s on the rear.

One of the first things I noticed about the new front axle was a MUCH improved braking due to the larger brakes.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #7

Mr D Thanks for the info. Not sue what to expect from Thursday's meeting but do no it can't operate at the over weight condition and needs to be resolved.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Mr D Thanks for the info. Not sure what to expect from Thursday's meeting but do know it can't operate at the over weight condition and needs to be resolved.
We got lucky in that ours was overloaded even if we never put anything in it. If yours isn't overloaded when empty you may be out of luck with gettting any resolution. There are lots of RV's out there that are overloaded and then owners wonder why they have tire/axle/suspension problems! It's a known problem in the RV industry although it's getting better now
Until I learned I ignored the weight labels too. Had a '88 Type B Okanagan 17' MH. Came with good looking steel wheels. Broke two of them and when I went looking for replacements I found that NO ONE made steel chrome wheels that would take the weight (8,800#'s total). Had to find the Federal import law (law said the wheels had to support the weight of the vehicle) and send it to Okanagan, then they had me get Alcoa wheels and send them the bill.
Pays to research the laws when talking to manufacturers.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #9

I agree you don't want to be overweight. I suspect that the reason that your weights are limited to the max tire loading is not that they chose a 10,400# axle, but rather that they chose the 255/80R22.5 tires (which are less expensive than, say, a 275/70R22.5 which has almost identical height and often a MUCH higher load rating) and so the front axle weight is tire limited (rather than axle limited).

If it's new and overweight, hassle the manufacturer for sure! If it's used and you've bought it, you might want to research the front axle specs and see if you can go to the 275/70R22.5 tire.

Steve
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #10

weight question

As I read your thread it brought a question to my mind re our own weight. We have a 32' Monaco, and today we moved all of our "business" to the basement of the MH. We work home shows, festivals etc. Until we bought the MH about 3 weeks ago we were traveling in a 2003 Kia Sedona. All of our product - bins, booths, tables, etc, plus personal - clothes, ice chests etc. were in the Kia Van. No problem with the weight. But now I want to be reassured that we haven't added too much weight to the MH. My hubby says if the Kia had no trouble then the MH will have no trouble. And he says that the MH storage units were built for storage. AND we aren't putting bricks in there! What do you folks think? Am I overthinking this?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I agree you don't want to be overweight. I suspect that the reason that your weights are limited to the max tire loading is not that they chose a 10,400# axle, but rather that they chose the 255/80R22.5 tires (which are less expensive than, say, a 275/70R22.5 which has almost identical height and often a MUCH higher load rating) and so the front axle weight is tire limited (rather than axle limited).
Sometimes the wheel will be the limiting factor too. Some wheels won't take the full pressure the tire will need. We also ran into that with our DSDP till I changed the wheels and tires. Spartan even changed the wheels to a heavy duty steel wheel when they put the new axle in. Even so we needed 131 psi to use the full capacity of the OEM 275/70 Michelin tires. The wheels would only take 120 so they issued us a letter on Michelin letterhead allowing the tires to be rated at full capacity even though we could only put 120 psi in them.
I upgraded to Alcoa wheels and 305/70 22.5's in order to have the full 14,600# capacity of the axle. Now I only need 100 psi to support the actual weight.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP said his front axle was spec'ed at 10,410, which is 5205 x 2. I dont see where he said his tires went to 11,410.. I'm in agreement with Steve that they used the tire max as the limiting factor. Perhaps he can get a new sticker like Mr D did in that case IF he upgrades the tires..
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP said his front axle was spec'ed at 10,410, which is 5205 x 2. I dont see where he said his tires went to 11,410.. I'm in agreement with Steve that they used the tire max as the limiting factor. Perhaps he can get a new sticker like Mr D did in that case IF he upgrades the tires..
Corrected it, looks like I was answering another post and got confused.
It could very well be that they used the tire max as the axle max. In fact our modified weight sticker reflects just that. It shows a max rating of 13,200#'s with the 275/70 tires, even though the axle is rated for 14,600#'s
The limiting factor in all cases is the LOWEST rating of all the components, axle rating, tire rating, wheel rating and even brake rating.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #14

I did talk to Fraightliner and gave the the vin# they gave me the spec on all the components of my MH. I was hoping it was something as simple as that. The spec for the axel is the limiting factor on the GVW. I bought this new and will most likely not get a fix to this issue. If I were in the market for a MH new or used understand what all the numbers mean and call the chassis manufacture with the vin# to get the real specs of the MH. Just because it's a DP doesn't mean it is a load and go MH. Again I will meet with the manufacture Thursday and hope that there is something that I'm overlooking or if not they step up and offer a fix like Mr D. One way or the other we will operate this MH in a safe manor and within the GVW limits.
By the way what do you folks think is a reasonable cargo capacity for a 40dp new off the lot?

Tags
tires