Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
We are absolutely in the low mileage crowd. 250 miles is a huge day for us and we are not happy when we have to go that far. Example - Orlando to Knoxville is a 3 day trip for us. Since DW earns her fees wherever she is and I gave up answering to any schedule we are not in any hurry. Out of the campground at 9, dog pee break at 10:30, lunch at noon, next campground at 2 is our typical travel day.

jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
In the past have had many long days --- no more.
One day that stands out was the drive from Whites City NM to Beaumont TX.

Now we plan our days with roughly a 300 mile distance. A lot of the time less, sometimes a little more.

Hugh '09 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43'
Cummins ISL 8.9L Turbo 425hp, Spartan MM GT
Allison MD3000, '12 Jeep Wrangler
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We don't "travel" much, mostly A to B and stay. Enroute it's 400 miles or 6-7 hours @ day, whichever comes first....no hurry here.
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Depends on the destination. Cincinnati to disneyworld with one layover. About 450 each way. As long as I can arrive with at least 1 hr of daylight remaining I am ok.

I dislike arriving at dusk or later.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #19

Unlike the "good old days" when we were younger we try to leave about 9:30 or 10 AM and stop by 3:30 or 4:00 pm. We have done our 400, 500 mile and 600 mile days and will do it again if necessary but preference is shorter travel days and relaxing evenings.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My norm is 250 plus or minus whatever depending on the campgrounds on the route. It also depends on what we are going to go see and stay as a sightseeing stay. Those can be considerably shorter, sometimes 100 miles or a little more. If we are in a hurry to get to a destination I can push it to 300. The most I have ever done was from Pensacola, FL to Mayport, FL, about 400 miles. To much for me.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
500 miles or 10 hours, whichever comes first, that's my limit. This has worked well for us. We usually overnight at a Cracker Barrel on the way to wherever.
When I was 20 I drove straight through, Chicago to Durango, CO, non-stop except for gas and meals, about 24 hours if I remember correctly. Ahhh, to be young!
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
I try not to exceed 350 miles in one day. And 60-62MPH is my limit. I enjoy the scenery too much to get in a hurry, plus the slower pace is easier on my billfold when it's time for diesel fuel.
Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

There's no doubt that answers to this question are going to vary widely depending on whether they're coming from a vacationing family man, or someone headed out for an event for a long weekend..... vs retired, full timing folks.

Funny how it's completely "OK" to pull up stakes, drive only 100 miles, and then set up again when you're not really going any place in particular.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
New Horizons Owners Club
We go between 150 miles and 250 miles a day. We generally stop for a couple of hours in the middle of the day for a nap and lunch. We get started about 10:00 am and finish up at around 4:00 pm. We usually stay overnight at Walmart and plan our next day in the evening. We like Walmart because we don't have to disconnect from the trailer, and they are almost always more convenient to the highway than RV parks.

It isn't less expensive to stay at Walmart as we use our generator which burns about 4 gallons of gas overnight. I figure with the cost of the generator and gas our real expense is about 25-30 dollars.
Happy trails,
The Sundowners:
Jane and Chauncey, Plus the Cats: Backslash, EB, Stripes
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
2180 miles in 70 hours including a stop in SLC to see the Great Salt Lake.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #26
The cool thing about travelling by MoHo is that if you get tired before you reach your destination you can pull over and take a half hour nap, splash some water on your face, have cup of Joe and then set out again. When I do that I find I am good to go for several more hours. The right answer for how far to drive each day is whatever is right for you. But if you do get tired, have the sense to pull over and get refreshed instead of trying to power through to get where you're going. Safe travels to all!
2002 MCI E4500 bus conversion by American Coach
Detroit S-60 12.7
LA-HODAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #27
we just started full timing, our first trip was about 350 miles, we stayed at that resort 11 nights. Then drove maybe 200 miles to another resort and we are still here. I love fulltiming and having different locations to go to, i just dont like the driving point A to B part. Hubby likes driving. We are heading down the oregon coast soon, i hope hubby dont want to drive it all in one day..i would love to stop and see the waves.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #28
Did 750 in 13 hours once, a bad idea and I'll not do that again. Now I'll do up to 600, or around 11 hours (in both cases that is elapsed time, not wheels rolling time), but where we live that decision can be weather driven - get there before the snow falls and traps you or don't leave.

2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote