Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Wow some big numbers in here, but I can totally understand it for folks who are part timing. We're full timers so our norm is 150. We just recently did our longest drive ever at 400 miles and that was exhausting....we're total wimps
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
I have a little different approach. I need to be parked and setup by 2:30 pm to make 3 pm Happy Hour.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I also believe it makes a big difference as to whether you're full-timing or just on vacation. Personally speaking, when I was still working I spent way too many years on the road doing 450 miles plus each day, every day at least 5 days each week. Now that I am retired I have two speeds; mosey and meander. That limits us to 350 miles or less each trip. There is just way to many things to see and do to not spend at least a few days at each stop. Our last 5 trips have been under 200 miles each.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #46

I would think 350 - 400 miles per day in a gas motorhome woud be about all your backside could reasonably handle. We've done as much as 900 in a day, but we were tryiing to stay ahead of a snow storm.

Personally I like the 400+ mile days, but experience has taught us that the better RV parks fill up early unless you have a reservation. Since I refuse to stay at Walmart or in the Interstate rest areas that limits the miles to 400 or less. We stop every couple hours to exercise the dogs so some days 400 miles is a push.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #47

In the past, when we would leave Alaska to the 'lower 48' I would plan on starting at 0700AM and drive till 700PM. This included time for lunch and letting the 'girls' out every few hours or so. There were times that this just did not work out as we were not at a place to stay for the night. I have not been able to get my mind around 200-300 miles a day! There have been times that we have driven 350 miles for a buffalo burger and go back home in the same day. It seems that it is a waste of day light, just to be sitting some place. The DW will be retiring in August so the next trip that we take to the 'lower 48' will be at a slower pace, I hope. I enjoy driving so sitting in a nice comfortable pilot seat is no big deal. As for how far we have driven, that seems of be about 950 miles or so. On our last trip I went from Reno NV to just north of Seattle WA in one shot. Yes it was a long driving day but being that it was at the end of a long weekend, I DID NOT want to hit Seattle on the frist day back from their long weekend. Also have driven from Medfor OR to Palmer AK in four days but that is NOT a trip that I would want to repeat! DW was not doing well and wanted to be back here to see her own doctors!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I have not been able to get my mind around 200-300 miles a day! There have been times that we have driven 350 miles for a buffalo burger and go back home in the same day. It seems that it is a waste of day light, just to be sitting some place. The DW will be retiring in August so the next trip that we take to the 'lower 48' will be at a slower pace, I hope. !
Congrats to the DW on her upcoming retirement.

I'll bet your trips do begin to take on a different pace when that happens and those days of long drives will be fewer and farther in between.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #49

We are retired and in no hurry, we drive 1-1/2+ tanks of gas out (250-350miles max) and find a cg. Orthopedic surgeon that worked on my back said "Every 2 hrs, get out of your vehicle and if nothing else, walk around it and then get back in and go another 2 hrs." Been doing that for yrs without fail and am not exhausted at the end of our 5-6 hr driving days.
Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
Have done Oregon to Mexico in 2 days; probably no more, although my travel is completely unpredictable.

I just left a nice one month stay in the woods, drove 75 miles and set up next to a different trout stream for another month. No rules. Miles per day? No idea....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I have a little different approach. I need to be parked and setup by 2:30 pm to make 3 pm Happy Hour.
Thats my MOTO 230 miles or 2:30 in the afternoon, whichever comes first! I might also need a short nap after lunch!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Thats my MOTO 230 miles or 2:30 in the afternoon, whichever comes first! I might also need a short nap after lunch!
Amen to that, sounds great!!

Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #53

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Now that's a formula that makes sense!!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #54

I use the 3 - 3 - 3 rule.
No more than 300 miles
In camp by 3PM
No more than 3 Rum & Cokes
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #55

I once drove 700 miles (in my car) in a day for what? To satisfy my ego? By the time she convinced me to stop she had developed a blood circulatory problem in her leg that she has to this day. Now many years later,my approach to daily distance is tempered with the wisdom of age and a more grown-up attitude.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are retired and I subscribe to the 1-2-3 driving method. That is 100 miles by 2:00 Pm(campgrounds are nearly empty at that time) and stay at least 3 days(take in the local sites).
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote