Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #1

Max Motorhome length on State Roadways

I recently clicked on a link for State Road Laws (courtesy of RV Trip Wizard) and found that many states (Florida, California, Connecticut, Arkansas, etc) have a maximum allowable length of 40 ft for motorhomes traveling on their roadways. I was unpleasantly surprised to say the least. We currently have a 39 ft Newmar, but are considering buying something a little bigger. Are these road laws actually enforced? Even if they aren't, their existence would seem to suggest many larger Class A's, especially those with tag axles, are being illegally driven on the roadways of many states. Any input regarding these laws would be welcome.
aktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had a problem with the almost 41' Dutch Star and, so far, none with the 45' Country Coach.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:52 PM   #3

In 20 years of RVing I have never seen a LEO out with a tape measure checking the length of any vehicle. They have better things to do.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

share with us EXACTLY where you found such 'information'.... it's certainly news to the manufacturers of thousands of RVs of all types around the country - but I don't know of a single person ever being pulled over simply due to the 'length' of their RV.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

Are you talking about secondary road, interstate, or something else, what about 18 Wheeler's there over 40' and some are tandem rigs. What's the date on the link your checking maybe it's out of date. This whole thing sounds like fake news. I've seen many long MH 40'+ foot on different highways even pulling trailers something sounds fishy here.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #6

I agree. I've never had a bit of trouble in 10+ years, never seen anyone pulled over, nor ever heard of anyone being pulled over and measured. But I seem to remember the length issue being brought up in other threads. At any rate, check out this link on the subject: https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php
aktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #7

Ak Traveller; A bit overstated; Length restrictions are not arbitrary, nor do they apply on all roads. Only a few stretches of roads (no freeways) in CA have a length restriction, and for those that do its for good reason; very narrow, tight turns. See below:

45' Bus & Motorhome Map
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #8

Your width is probably already illegal in many places other than the Interstates. Many states have a 96" width limit, most modern motorhomes are 102".
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #9

Length restrictions vary state to state. As long as you are legal in your home state you are legal. Calif max length is 65 feet. Some roads (not interstates) in CA do have a 40 foot length limit but those are back roads. As long as you don’t go over 55 MPH in CA if towing another vehicle you will be ok.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #10

TXTiger-Max overall combined length when TOWING is 65' in CA.

102" in width.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #11

I wouldn't rely on this listing -- it is not well researched or properly stated. For example, it says the length in Florida is limited to 40 feet. This is from the actual Florida law:

(9) BUSES AND PRIVATE MOTOR COACHES.—
(a) Anything in this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, no bus or private motor coach may exceed a length of 50 feet, for a single-unit coach, or 65 feet, for an articulated coach. No bus or private motor coach may exceed a width of 102 inches, exclusive of safety equipment.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
TXTiger-Max overall combined length when TOWING is 65' in CA.

102" in width.
We along with several other MH's go into CA every year with combined lengths up to 78'. All it takes is a $16 overlength motorsports permit from CALTRANS good for seven days. A second permit can be purchased if needed. None of us have ever been stopped. We met a group of three rigs who traveled from the east coast that were over 80' going to the drag race in Vegas and the finals in CA. However, I agree with the 55 mph speed limit. We all adhere to that.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #13

Crasher-Exceptions to every rule.........
Old 03-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Crasher-Exceptions to every rule.........
Yep, I know. We pick the route we want to travel, but Caltrans will modify it for certain intersections they don't want us on. Although we have never been bothered in any other state, I suspect similar overlength permits are available in most parts of the country.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome