Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
I've traveled all over Ca. and have only seen signs that say "not over xxft from kingpin to axel" I have no idea what that means but have been on those roads and encountered tandem trailer log trucks taking their share of the road out of the middle.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #30

In CA an MH over 40 feet is allowed to go a nominal distance away from an approved road in order to stop for food, fuel, etc. I am not sure what the distance is. Around 4-5 miles I think.

When entering Yosemite via highway 140 in a 28 foot Southwind there is a spot where you must do one of the following:

1. go across the double yellow line
2. scrape the stone wall on the right side of the lane

I had to explain that to my FIL. We borrowed his MH.

Back when they had to close highway 41 into Yosemite due to a huge rockslide they had to widen highway 120 at Priest Grade to tolerate long motorhomes and buses.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:33 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
In 20 years of RVing I have never seen a LEO out with a tape measure checking the length of any vehicle. They have better things to do.
I'm of the same view, our Local, State and Federal Policing agencies have much more to worry about in the form of motorist than those of us who are safely driving down the roads in our motor homes with tow vehicles attached, in the right lanes at the correct speeds. That said, I'm 70' 3" in OAL w/toad and will most certainly remain aware of the published guidance State by State such that should I feel I may be going too far beyond the limits, I'll call 1st or stop in at the first weigh station to find out if I need a permit, i.e. State of CA.

I'd also add that if they want to stop one of us, they should be more concerned about those guys yanking 36+ ft. 5'vers down the road with a 1/2-ton pickup truck.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome