Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Max Water PSI for RV Toilet???

I Recently installed a Camco brand 50 - 55 "high flow" PSI water regulator on my 1997 American Eagle and the difference is night and day. Really VERY nice! Only concern is whether our Sealand Traveler 510 toilet valve can handle the increased water pressure. I have read my Sealand manual and it does not mention maximum water supply PSI. Might anyone have any experience with the Camco high flow 50-55 PSI water regulator? THANK YOU, Jeff. PS - my previous regulator was a Camco 40-45 PSI regulator and the flow was not nearly as nice.

jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Watts unit but have it adjusted to 55 psi and haven't had any trouble with the coach plumbing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
I Recently installed a Camco brand 50 - 55 "high flow" PSI water regulator on my 1997 American Eagle and the difference is night and day. Really VERY nice! Only concern is whether our Sealand Traveler 510 toilet valve can handle the increased water pressure. I have read my Sealand manual and it does not mention maximum water supply PSI. Might anyone have any experience with the Camco high flow 50-55 PSI water regulator? THANK YOU, Jeff. PS - my previous regulator was a Camco 40-45 PSI regulator and the flow was not nearly as nice.
Roughly speaking, 60psi is the reasonable safe pressure for all the fittings and pipes in an RV. I err on the lower side and regulate to 40-45 psi with high flow rate using a Watts regulator.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

As stated stay at 60PSI or under. I personally use 60PSI. All RVs are supposedly tested to at least 100PSI. The small RV pressure regulators from Camco and other are set at between 45 to 55 PSI.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 on Ricko...... I have an adjustable Valterra that I set at 50psi. No probs. I have read that these motorhomes are tested to 100psi at manufacture, but that could be meaningless after a few years.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #6

I have my adjustable regulator set at 60 psi. No issues so far.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Watts is set to 65 psi and has been used where the park psi was high enough for the output pressure to be 65 psi for months. Have had no issues with the toilet.
Our other fixtures (showers and sinks) are residential units and are rated at 85 psi.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have merged the two duplicate threads created by the OP since our rules don't allow for duplicate threads.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #9

Your pump for fresh water tank is probably 50-55 psi.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
Your pump for fresh water tank is probably 50-55 psi.
Maybe, mine only puts out about 30 psi though.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
As stated stay at 60PSI or under. I personally use 60PSI. All RVs are supposedly tested to at least 100PSI. The small RV pressure regulators from Camco and other are set at between 45 to 55 PSI.

Uh Huh ... but the OP's RV is vintage 1997 and probably plumbed with PolyB. No point in stressing old plumbing.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
.... Our other fixtures (showers and sinks) are residential units and are rated at 85 psi.
Yes Clay, but wouldn't the weak spot be the connection between the coach tubing and the residential fixture?
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Yes Clay, but wouldn't the weak spot be the connection between the coach tubing and the residential fixture?
Winnebago customer service told me they test the plumbing to 85 psi. The PEX tubing can stand a lot more and the fittings on the tubing ends are standard plumbing parts which should be higher than 65 psi also since they are designed to work in residential systems.

Note that I am not saying RV pressure should be set higher than 65 psi even though the residential fixtures are rated higher and the plumbing can take more. I don't know what the RV fixtures are rated at for long term use.

As a side note: the water pressure in the town we bought a house in two summers ago is 140 psi. (Palisade CO). It has to be high to reach the parts of the county that are several hundred feet higher than other parts.
When we bought the house the water pressure seemed okay but on the high end - the pulsating shower head did a great job on the back of my neck and shoulders.
But when our friends hooked up to one of the RV sites we had put in, their hose really swelled up. I checked the psi and saw 140 psi.

I had not checked it before because I assumed the Watts regulator on the input line to the house was doing it's job. It wasn't and had to be replaced. Even though the house was built in 1999 a rebuild kit is no longer available so the regulator had to be replaced.
The tech set it at 65 psi and said that was the usual setting they use.

I have no idea how long the house plumbing and fixtures had withstood the excess pressure but it was at least nine months or so. Six of those months we were away from the house in AZ and I sure am glad nothing gave way while we gone.
I do have flood sensors connected to the security system, but still it would have been a pain making a trip back to get it repaired.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many toilets and the most senistive of them, I am told, can take sixty PSI, above that you run the danger of blowing the seals in the valve..

Now: You have a slight understanding problem I suspect.. The Camco HIGH FLOW regulator (The one with wings) is not all that much different in pressure, 45-55 pounds is the standard for all regulators used with RV.. What makes the difference is not higher pressure, it is larger openings internally allowing MORE water to flow without increasing the pressure.

A Watts of at least 1/2 inch will have still larger openings, as does the Valterra adjustable. A Sur-Flow has about the same capacity as the one you are using now.