Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #15
Must be boring going through life by the book and worrying about what others do...

2005 Newmar DS 4023, Spartan Chassis, ISL 370 Cumapart, 2008 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, 2015 Kia Soul, 1969 Italian & 2004 Akita
DMTTRANSPORT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #16
The real problem is we need stricter enforcement of the posted speed limits. Once again those who like to drive in excess are all about "me" without regard to the others around them.

It goes to texting too. We all know that it's a distraction yet how many times do you see folks driving around texting or distracted by it.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
I always let vehicles, MH, etc as well as semi trucks pass me. I usually stay just above the 55 in the right lane and let them all go by. Did notice up I-5 in California the semi's usually stayed at the 55 range.
Chris and Carole Christian / ccfromfl@gmail.com
2011 Tiffin Phaeton / 2012 Ford Fiesta "Tow'd"
"Our Cause Was Just"
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #18
We live in metro Phoenix, and I try to avoid I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff at all times. But...last Sunday we wanted to take the new motorhome out for just a drive, and headed north. There was a good deal of wind that day. I tried to keep my speed around 65, although the speed limit is 75.
Now I remember WHY I avoid that road. They drive so fast, and so dangerous.
That is steep terrain, with lots of curves...and places the traffic slows considerably. Man...they are just nuts.
I couldn't even begin to say how many motorhomes towing cars just FLEW by us. The trucks towing travel trailers and 5th wheels are even worse.
We stopped and had brunch in Camp Verde...and started back toward Phoenix. The ride down the hill was even worse. People just.....flying by. Many had to be doing 80mph+.
And of course....the usual....I would say at least 4 or 5 trucks pulling various travel trailers and 5th wheels....along the side of the road with flat tires.
I'll be staying off of that road in the future. It's just too dangerous.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #19

On California highways I tend to run at the same speeds as the truckers, find of figuring they have been alerted by other truckers as to where enforcement happens to be taking place so sometimes I'm running 55 mph and sometimes 65 mph or anywhere in between. Rarely on any highway do I exceed 65 towing or not towing.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:40 PM   #20
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are 4 types of people:

Two roads intersect at a four way stop sign in the desert. If you're standing at that intersection, you can see for 50 miles in all directions.

A type 1 person approaches the intersect. Being who they are, they come to a full and complete stop. They look left, no cars. They look right, no cars. They proceed through the intersection and are on their way.

A type 2 person approaches the intersection. They slow down and start looking at the intersecting road. They slow way down and look left, no oncoming cars. They look to the right, nothing, no cars, They roll through the intersection, accelerate, and are on their way.

A type 3 person approaches the intersection. Seeing there is a stop sign ahead, they slow down and come to a complete stop at the intersection. They wait at the intersection until someone comes along and tells them its OK to proceed.

A type 4 person approaches the intersection, Seeing this is just another attempt by the authorities to control them, They press the gas pedal to the floor and aim their car straight at the stop sign. After mowing down the stop sign, , still infuriated by someone telling them what to do, they slam on the brakes, jam it into reverse, and run over the stop sign again. Now feeling better for telling those mindless authorities where to stick their signs, they go happily on their way.

What type are you???
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
All Jeep brand cars have no speed limit.

I generally drive at a max of 65 mph except if I need to pass someone who is annoying me or going down gentle hills. I like to have gravity assist my mpg and often coast at 75 before the coach starts to slow back down to 65 on the next uphill or flats.

If I had a car that had a 65 max I would abide by the recommendation. It is there for some reason.
Stuart & Leslie
08 Holiday Ramb Navigator, 45 ft, Cummins ISX 600, 2014 Cherokee Limited, Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full-timing since May 2014
S-n-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:02 PM   #22
I believe the original question was about max speed for the toad when four down. Our 2010 Chevy HHR specifies 65 MPH or the transmission will be damaged. The transmission was also used in Saturn and Captiva, so I imagine it's the same for them. I'm also surprised at the speed some folks drive their coaches. In South Dakota this past summer, the guy next to us in the campground said he really liked the 80MPH speed limit. I replied that I drove my normal 65 regardless and that the tires were technically limited to 75. He said his cruise was on 80 all day and that the tires were really good for much higher speeds but the "government" made the manufacturers put lower speeds on them. To each his own.
Mike and Jan
'03 Monaco Camelot
MikeandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #23
Tiffin Owners Club
Most of the newer fords are 65 mph maximum and run engine after 6 hours of towing. I tow a 2016 Taurus 4 down at 62-63 mph.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #24
In washington any time your towing anything you have to go the posted truck speed limit any way. Which is 10 under the car speed limit.
Snow-junky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We drive 60-65 MPH and frequently will be passed by MH's that have to be doing 75 or more!

Our Honda owner's manual says that maximum towing speed is 65. Is that true with other manufacturers? If so, I think a lot of folks aren't reading their manuals!
As mentioned my Equinox requires me to stay below 65. I generally just stay around 59-62, seems to be best fuel mileage as well.
'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #26
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
67 and towing will cost you $428, no, there's no need to ask me how I know! First speeding ticket in 30+ years!
ah, that could be because:
Maximum speed for any vehicle towing another vehicle is 55 mph in Cali
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #27
I think the the Ford Exploder fiasco made the legal departments at all manufacturers want a CYA notice in their manuals. If someone goes out of control or has mechanical failures on their toad, and they can establish excessive speed, can pin the blame on the operator.

That said, I am never really comfortable above about 65MPH when pulling the toad because of stopping distance. (yes, I do have a Brake Buddy in the toad)
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #28
FWIW the issues I am aware of are heat and lubrication. As long as I can remember towing automatic transmissions has had problems. The driveshaft turns the output shaft of the transmission and some number of gears inside. The oil inside usually does not circulate but does get churned and heated up. Some bearings under load do not get lubricated. The net result is cooked clutches and scored bearings. That was why two truck drivers often had to pull the drive shaft on rear drive cars for relatively short towing distances. Little has changed since in that regard.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing