Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Maximum towing speed

We drive 60-65 MPH and frequently will be passed by MH's that have to be doing 75 or more!

Our Honda owner's manual says that maximum towing speed is 65. Is that true with other manufacturers? If so, I think a lot of folks aren't reading their manuals!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We drive 60-65 MPH and frequently will be passed by MH's that have to be doing 75 or more!

Our Honda owner's manual says that maximum towing speed is 65. Is that true with other manufacturers? If so, I think a lot of folks aren't reading their manuals!
No, many toads have no such restrictions. That is not saying that such speeds are wise, but they are unrestricted in speed and do not need any starting at a certain mileage interval.
So I guess people probably do read their vehicle manuals.

Peter

Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to agree with you. A lot of coach pilots tend to do the posted speed limit and not take any heed to the tow speed rating of the vehicles.

I know that when I had my 5th wheel, the max tow speed was 65mph, and if I happened to do 75 to 80 for a stretch the hubs would start to leak a little bit of grease from the heat.

Most vehicles that are toads have speed ratings do to the automatic trans and safety concerns from the manufacturer. Maybe they all have manual trans cars?

Plus mpg drops for me sharply over 65 anyways, saving a few minutes isn't worth the hit at the pump for me.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

Many owners don't care , to read about limits , or abide by them .
They go through life with the " It's my coach , nobody's going to tell me how to drive it! " attitude, and " I'm in a hurry , everyone can just get out of my way !"

Even if they get tickets , it won't slow them down.

California 75 MPH towing will get them fines , $700.00 and up
Old 09-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

I will say this, if we are both doing that speed limit, I will then speed up and pass you doing 70 to 75 till i get in front of you down the road,, i just like to be able to see way ahead. not your toad....
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #6

What is interesting is when the one's who don't care start complaining about needing a new transmission in the toad. ;-)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
I will say this, if we are both doing that speed limit, I will then speed up and pass you doing 70 to 75 till i get in front of you down the road,, i just like to be able to see way ahead. not your toad....
Yeah, I seem to do that too.

I added a driveshaft disconnect to our Tracker so the only thing that can complain is the diff and disconnect bearings. We've also towed it across the US and back several times without the disconnect at about 70 mph without any problems.

Steve
Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Many owners don't care , to read about limits , or abide by them .
They go through life with the " It's my coach , nobody's going to tell me how to drive it! " attitude, and " I'm in a hurry , everyone can just get out of my way !"

Even if they get tickets , it won't slow them down.

California 75 MPH towing will get them fines , $700.00 and up
67 and towing will cost you $428, no, there's no need to ask me how I know! First speeding ticket in 30+ years!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

Maximum towing speed

Our 2015 Equinox manual says 65mph max. Generally drive 62-64.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
67 and towing will cost you $428, no, there's no need to ask me how I know! First speeding ticket in 30+ years!
CA is a beautiful state, but I avoid driving through it while towing for that reason. If I have to go there I try to stay at, or under, 60 mph. Good advice, IMHO.

Steve
Old 09-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've towed in California (enclosed trailer or PWC trailer, not a toad), 38 years, at 60-65. Never been stopped or ticketed.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
Commercial Member

ive towed for many years, and at a least couple of hundred thousand miles. as i age, i find that 65 is my maximum limit. there is no place that is that important that i have to be at. my goal is to arrive in one piece. if i need, i drive a little longer.
and yes, california enforces the tow speed limit.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post

And why not just back off the throttle a little to put some space 'for you to see' and then resume the same speed. If you are both doing that speed limit your spacing will remain constant. ...But everyone wants to be first.... just sayin!
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Ford powered MH enforces a 75 MPH limit. I don't often use cruise and the darn thing likes 70 "ish" accidentally bumped the 75 mph limiter last trip.

Tags
tow, towing