Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #1

MaxxAir Vent Covers and open while driving

I finally decided to buy the MaxxAir Vent Covers for my two roof fans and looking forward to keeping my fans running during rain. I can't find anything that says you may leave vents open with these covers attached? Can anyone answer this question for me?

Thanks
Mean1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

We have been doing this for years without a problem. Be aware of your tank vents as in some cases you might aquire a odor.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We have been doing this for years without a problem. Be aware of your tank vents as in some cases you might acquire a odor.

I'm a bit confused by this post. Does it mean to cover tank vents with plastic bags? Seems that expanding gases wouldn't like that very much.

Other than flushing a lot of clear water into the black tank and adding a bit of tank freshener, what do you pros do?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #4

Or you could do as we did
Toss those cheap black pipe vent caps in the trash
Install the 360 Siphon Oder Eliminator caps for both the gray and black pipes
Not even a wiff when using the toilet while driving down the road with the drivers windows open and the top 14" vents wide open
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We have been doing this for years without a problem. Be aware of your tank vents as in some cases you might aquire a odor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I'm a bit confused by this post. Does it mean to cover tank vents with plastic bags? Seems that expanding gases wouldn't like that very much.
Other than flushing a lot of clear water into the black tank and adding a bit of tank freshener, what do you pros do?
bamaboy473
A "properly operating/functioning" sewer drain/vent system in a RV will not allow odors to enter the coach.
If I acquire a odor in my coach I turn off all the power vents, crank the covers closed... find where the odor is coming from... and FIX the problem.
BTW, IMO sewage with a "tank freshener" added smells like sewage AND perfume.
I have used only RID-X® in both my black and gray tanks for 14 years
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #6

We usually have the fan with the Maxx vent on it open when we travel. There have been a few times that we have gotten an odor but it disappears fairly quickly.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #7

If the wind is just right and the rain is just right you can get odors or rain in ANY cover. Does it happen very often or often enough to be concerned?? Not in my opinion. We spend every other summer in VERY rainy parts of Alaska, and travel with covers open whenever the temps dictate, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've experienced either problem in over 100,000 RV miles. Enjoy your covers.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

When you drive with the vents open, they can create a syphon effect that can pull odor from you holding tanks into the coach. I have never had the issue but I do know of a few that have.
The cause was mainly from a commode not closing completely.
I do run with mine open a lot.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mean1255.....The MaxxAir covers are designed to do exactly what you have in mind. They allow you to run the fans during inclement weather. They also allow you to drive with the vents open. When it's really hot, we leave the vents open while we're driving to allow the upper hot air to escape.

When our coach is parked and not being used, we leave the vents open to help keep it cool and fresh air circulating. They will allow some dust inside, but not as much as a vent without a cover.

As pointed out, if a vent is close to a black tank roof vent, it can occasionally suck in some odor, especially if you're moving and someone uses the toilet. It's not a big issue.

The new MaxxAir covers have quick release pins on them that allow you to remove them easily and clean the vent cover and screen.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #10

MaxxAir Vent Covers

Thank you so much for the quick reply. FYI, I also installed the Cyclone Sewer Vent to aid in airing out the black water tank. I am looking forward to using these two new vent covers while on the road.

Happy Trails!
Mean1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would add one thing to the good advice offered here. When traveling with the vent in the bathroom open or when parked even. IF someone uses the toilet while the vent is running open the window a bit to allow the vent a place to pull air so that it does not create a vacuum. This will stop the odors from the black tank when you flush the commode.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MaxxAir Vent Covers and open while driving

I recently installed Maxxair Fan/Mate vent covers on the four Fan-Tastic Roof Fans/Vents on my QSDP. Two fans are reversible (Galley and Bedroom) and two are exhaust only (Shower area and Toilet room). The covers are hinged on one side to facilitate maintenance.
I am looking forward to our first trip since installing the covers, beginning next week. Your collective comments are encouraging and should prove helpful in taking full advantage of this new addition to our coach. Thanks very much!
A sample photo is attached:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404669906.099088.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	67038

Tags
vent