RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

Maytag Ice Maker Overflowing

We have a Maytag Residential Refrigerator in our coach that has worked perfectly for 2 years. About 5 months ago, we found water all over the floor in front of the frig. I looked inside the ice maker and noticed what looked like water that had been frozen in a block! I called a service tech who came out and replaced the ice maker and water valve. Still water outside the frig. He came back and installed another ice maker and water valve...still not fixed! He came back 3 more times to check things out and finally said...I don't know what the problem is!

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what was the fix?

foretom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you look up a manual for your model ice maker, they will often give instructions on setting the water level.
I wonder if this overflow/freezing up is only happening when you are in motion. Our LG fridge, which has the ice maker in the door, will spill out if the door is opened and closed quickly after the ice tray has just refilled. This is in our home, not RV. You've got a residential fridge in a moving RV, perhaps not designed for motion.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
This may have zero value on fixing your problem, but I'll share anyway. I don't remember the brand, but they kept having trouble with the ice maker. The guy took a large paper clip, and coiled one end around the hot copper refrigerant tube, on the back, and put the other end around the ice maker feed line. Warmth kept the water going to the ice maker from freezing ...
Old 05-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

We had no problems moving or parked. Have no clue where the problem lies but I do know after the first load of ice dumps it overflows. The repairman said there is no adjustment!
Old 05-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with your particular Maytag, but usually the ice maker controls are part of the ice maker itself, and the water inlet valve is elsewhere in the fridge (usually bottom-rear). And there aren't any other parts except the wire from ice maker to the solenoid valve. After replacing the ice maker & the valve, assuming the ice maker control is adjusted right, it's hard to imagine anything else bothering it. Maybe very high water pressure? The adjustment is probably calibrated for typical residential pressure, which is 40-60 psi. Or maybe running on a modified sine inverter (though I've had two coaches that made ice just fine using MSW current).

Grasping at straws here - I don't seriously believe either of those possibilities.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
The motor in many ice makers is a simple clockwork electric motor. It turns gears that time the turning of the tray, and the water valve on and off. It very well could be a MSW inverter issue, although why it worked for 2 years then started having problems doesn't indicate a MSW issue. Now, if it worked on shore power, and the OP installed a MSW inverter when this issue started - - - that would be a different story.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #7

This picture and instructions for adjusting cube size is for a Maytag ice maker.
There is also a utube video. There are 2 different types of adjustment. Modual Ice Maker Diagnostic Sheet
You will note the adjustment does not actually alter the water flow, it alters the time the water valve is open. This means if you have really low water pressure cubes will be smaller, higher water pressure = larger cubes.
Another thing that will cause "overflow" is the non-stick coating on the mold gets a crack, this crack allows water to contact the aluminum mold, causes corrosion under the coating. This corrosion can allow water to wick over the top of the mold.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #8

Thank you for the detailed information. One puzzling part of this problem is the first filling or two of the trays is fine. The overflow starts in subsequent fillings which makes me think the trays are not being completely emptied. So, with that said, why wouldn't the claw that grabs the ice, miss some of them. Recall, I have had 3 different ice makers installed with the same results! I am missing something here. Your thoughts?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #9

Do you have a filter in the refrigerator? Just went through this with my home Maytag which wasn't ejecting the cubes so subsequent fills overflowed the tray. A new ice maker solved the problem for me. However, in the course of figuring out the problem, I found the fill is done on time and not an actual measurement of the water height in the tray. As suggested by others, too much water pressure/flow rate or sticking cubes can cause this. Since your ice maker is new, I would focus on the fill side of the system. Hence the question about the filter. I believe the timing is based on some flow restriction through the filter.

Unfortunately, I am on the road and don't have access to my home computer. However, there is a web site from which you can order parts that also has diagnostic information and on line technical personnel to reach out to as well. I found this by using Google with the issue of Maytag overflowing ice cube tray as the search parameters.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #10

Hey Guys! I finally found the answer! Evidently, this problem has been known by both Maytag and Tiffin for over 5 years. The resolution, as per Maytag Service Techs is to install a new water valve. It appears the factory valve puts out 4 oz of water and is too much for this ice maker. The fix is to install a new water valve that produces 2 oz of water into the tray. It is Maytag part number: W10312696. I installed it 3 days ago and everything is working fine! Hope I didn't jinx myself!!!

Hope this helps...Tommy
Old 07-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #11

FYI...the filter in the refrigerator and filter in the coach had no bearing on this problem. The problem is solely the water valve that is accessible via the front of the fridge. Just have to remove food and shelves on the right side to access it. 10 minute fix...Tommy