Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
MCD Blinds installing ourselves vs having installed

My DH and I are in disagreement over this subject. I am saying have them installed. DH says we can order and install them. We both still work full time. We own a 2004 Winnebago Journey. I hate the pleated day night shades. We have already had two restrung and the one broke already. Please help...
cinders654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
paz

While MCD doesn't recommend installing shades across the windshield yourself for safety reasons (because they're so big thay have been known to fall down if not done properly), installing shades on the regular side windows is no big deal if you're handy at all, especially if you have at least 3" clearance behind your valences.

You can download the manuals from the MCD website to see what is involved in the installation. The hardest part for me was seeing up behind the shades to find the screws that held the valences in place at the top.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Thank you Paz. We are only wanting to do the side windows. Our accordion wrap around drapes for the front are still in good shape. Thank you for the tip about the valance. That would be horrible to get the blinds and have them not fit. Thank you again.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

I have a friend that installed them in his Tiffin Phaeton with no problems.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

Paz has given good advice, and having just spent a week at MCD having ours installed front to rear we are now enjoying them. I would never do the front myself. The others however, are easy to install yourself. The valances in our coach are very shallow so they just had to tip the top out a bit. The key is taking very good measurements if doing yourself, and MCD will walk you through the measuring process. The only bad news is they are VERY costly, but you will love them. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2009 Journey and installed all except the front windshield myself. I found that the simplest way was to remove the old shades and then the valences. I mounted the clips in the center of the removed valences (with gravity and accessibility on my side) then remounted them and simply clipped the shades into the clips in the valence.
Not difficult to do at all. Trickiest was the first window and learning how to get the old shades out. I recommend you use a power screwdriver with a 6" bit to remove and replace the mounting screws in the valence. After the learning experience with the first shade, you should be able to mount a new shade in 30 minutes or so without rushing. My vote goes in favor of your DH doing it!!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our DSDP the side cabinets hang lower than the shade tops. I'd have to think real hard about doing ours as the clearance to drill and install new upper mounts just isn't there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #8

My DW and I did all the side shades on our sightseer. Bobmac gave the best advise, Pull not just the original shades but drop the valences as well. It's important to get all the clips in a straight line. It's really easy to install, not very different than putting blinds on your stickhouse windows. Took us about 25 minutes a shade.

Use a cordless drill driver with at least a 6 in bit holder on it. I have a Milwaukee m12 and it did all of them. Small and light with just enough power. Use one of your cupholders to collect the screws in that you remove for the valences, and use new #6 1/2 long panhead screws to mount the clips.

Easy and the labor you save will even pay for the cordless if you have to buy one to do it.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
If you can follow written instructions you won't have a problem. MCD has done a great job in that department. Just make sure you take the window measurement as instructed.
I did the shades in the living portion of the coach but would recommend have the cockpit ares done by a professional.
You will love the MCD shades.

Jroan
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #10

Thank you all for the replies. We are ordering them from MCD manufacturer and doing ourselves, in the living area. I guess DH wins this one.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You've made a good decision. The side window shades are super easy to install yourself. As long as you measure correctly and have the clearance you're good to go. If you need it I have pics of our installation here:

http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2012...ll-mcd-shades/
Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll like them when they are installed, I use mine way more now than the original ones.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just completed the installation of the MCD power day/night shade in the windshield, and manual shades on the side cockpit windows. Pretty easy, and a lot cheaper. If you are handy I would do it yourself. The tech help at MCD is very good. Look up MCD installation on this forum and I have pictures posted. If you can't find them PM me and I'll call you and send pictures.

Link to thread mentioned
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/inst...ml#post1519528

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
You've made a good decision. The side window shades are super easy to install yourself. As long as you measure correctly and have the clearance you're good to go. If you need it I have pics of our installation here:

http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2012...ll-mcd-shades/
Thank you for the information. Very Helpful. DH and I are both able to do that. I did my blinds at home. This looks much easier. Thank you again.