Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMART View Post
In Nov, 2010 I had MCD shades installed at the factory in McKinney TX. It was necessary several times to reset the shade limits and a motor needed replacement . . .
And I thought I was the only one having problems.

I self-installed all manual MCD shades in my 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire. Since then I've had to readjust several of them. I also have to use a clamp to hold one shade down.

I thought this just happened to MCD's manual shades.

I am so sorry that I just didn't restring the originals. Live & learn.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

Learning this has taken MCD off my list of new shade suppliers.
How many other things have you heard about them? They must sell a lot of shades yet there only seems to be less than a handful of negatives posted here over the years about them, yet countless positives about the product and customer service.

Good luck with your choice what ever it is.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Not true. The wire that they are talking about is the ignition sense wire. If that was fused and the fuse blew, the shades would think that you were parked and move through their full travel.
I can tell you that when the ignition power was lost because the wire burned the shades did not come down. If there were a fuse, the wire would not have burned. It would have acted like it does with the ignition off...the shades would go down only if the down switch was activated.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the fuse was at the switch and the ground was between the switch and motor as a sensor wire not a power source for the motor the fuse most likely would not have helped as the main power would have been coming from the motor side towards the ground/bare wire before getting to the fuse. If the power for the motor was coming from the switch then yes a fuse would have helped.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
PAMART
How did they test the flammability of the plastic/vinyl material where the shade structure was mounted?
Mel
'96 Safari
I'm glad they didn't test the flammability on my coach. I've never seen a coach burn so have no first hand experience, but the tech said he saw one on fire and the coach burned very fast. He said interior materials are very flammable
Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
More "help" from the Nanny State and corporate legal departments trying to justify their existence.

Why does that so-called "protection" need to be installed in the first place? What driver in his right mind is going to lower the shade far enough to block his view of the road?

Learning this has taken MCD off my list of new shade suppliers.
The probable assumption is that no driver in their right mind would lower the shade. However, as we all know, accidents happen. Depending on where the switch to lower them is located, a driver could bump the switch, trip the switch, hit the wrong switch, etc. So could a passenger. It is a failsafe to try to insure it doesn't happen. Not a nanny state, just a way to keep accidents from happening like anti-lock brakes and such.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMART View Post
POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD FROM MCD SHADES

...I initially phoned them... I mailed a detailed letter to "MCD Management"...I emailed the letter to them twice...
As a suggestion, in the future the only way to insure they get your correspondence (or can't deny getting it) is to send them snail mail, registered, return receipt required. BTDT.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire