Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

MCD Shade fire hazard warning

POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD FROM MCD SHADES

Three months ago my Country Coach engine abruptly stopped on the interstate. We smelled a hot electrical odor, but could find nothing abnormal. The gauges, ignition, and everything activated with the key were just dead. After several hours beside the highway the coach was towed to an RV/diesel mechanic. Imagine my surprise when they found that the problem was caused by the MCD power shades on the front window

In Nov, 2010 I had MCD shades installed at the factory in McKinney TX. The power privacy and sun shades were a big improvement over the stock curtain in my '07 Intrigue. It was necessary several times to reset the shade limits and a motor needed replacement, but other than those minor problems, the shades functioned well and we were happy with them. MCD has helpful tech reps that I occasionally called with questions. Prior to my coach towing experience I felt that MCD was a reputable company.

One of the MCD features is that the shades will not lower enough to block the drivers view while driving. To facilitate this function MCD made an electrical connection to the ignition wire directly behind the key, but they did not install a fuse or diode in this line. It was just a direct wire from the ignition which ran up the side post on driver side and across the front beneath the metal shade frame to the motor power connections on the passenger side. Apparently 5 years of vibration had rubbed a bare spot in the insulation and the wire from the ignition shorted out. This caused the wire insulation to burn leaving bare wire along its entire course to the main ignition wire. Two different repair facilities inspected the damage and said we were extremely fortunate the coach did not catch on fire. They both said the plastic/vinyl material where the shade structure was mounted is very flammable.

This is when I changed my opinion about MCD. I initially phoned them and talked to the helpful tech rep who I had previously dealt with. I explained the problem and asked that MCD reimburse my repair costs. His response, after checking with his superiors, was that it had been 5 years and was beyond any warranty period. Furthermore they always connected to the ignition wire and there had never been a problem. A fuse was not needed because this wire was only to detect if the key was on or off and no significant current was involved. My roadside engine shutdown and near coach fire was not their fault and they would assume no responsibility for repairs.

I was naive enough to think that MCD just did not have the big picture, and if they understood the problem that they would be thanking me for alerting them to the potential liability of a coach fire. I contacted two independent MCD shade installers who told me they never make a connection to the main ignition line, but if they did, they would certainly put a fuse in the line.
I mailed a detailed letter to "MCD Management" explaining everything. A month later when I phoned MCD, no one knew anything about my letter. So I emailed the letter to them twice. The best offer I got after repeated phone calls was "10% discount on future MCD parts".

So my warning to any of you RVer's with MCD shades, check to see how the ignition is connected to the shades. You might be able to prevent a breakdown on the highway, and worse case scenario, prevent the loss of your coach to a fire. I am very disappointed that MCD has chosen to not take this potentially dangerous situation seriously.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any possibility that wire was pulled tight when making adjustments or replacing the motor?

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Any possibility that wire was pulled tight when making adjustments or replacing the motor?
I've thought about that. it could have happened. However, if an inline fuse were present there would have been no problem. Inherent design of no fuse is a problem
Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Although my problem wasn't as serious as yours, I too was offered a 10% "customer loyalty" discount when a couple of ours broke at 2 years old. I removed a whole coach full of MCD and installed Auto Motion shades which are much more robust.

Glad no one was hurt
Old 02-03-2016, 02:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Although my problem wasn't as serious as yours, I too was offered a 10% "customer loyalty" discount when a couple of ours broke at 2 years old. I removed a whole coach full of MCD and installed Auto Motion shades which are much more robust.

Glad no one was hurt
I've got a new coach ordered with Auto Motion. Glad to hear you like them
Old 02-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #6

Fuse in this circuit could cause another safety issue: if blown, the shade could come down completely while RV is in motion. I agree with MCD not using fuse and I think it is a little unreasonable to blame them after 5 years.
Mike
Old 02-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd say once the fuse blew the shade would stop/stay where it was at.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #8

I think this wire is only for sensing ignition ON or OFF, not for powering the shade motor.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree X2
Old 02-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'd say once the fuse blew the shade would stop/stay where it was at.
Not true. The wire that they are talking about is the ignition sense wire. If that was fused and the fuse blew, the shades would think that you were parked and move through their full travel.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMART View Post
Two different repair facilities inspected the damage and said we were extremely fortunate the coach did not catch on fire. They both said the plastic/vinyl material where the shade structure was mounted is very flammable.
PAMART
How did they test the flammability of the plastic/vinyl material where the shade structure was mounted?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Not true. The wire that they are talking about is the ignition sense wire. If that was fused and the fuse blew, the shades would think that you were parked and move through their full travel.
They would still need to be powered up to operate. The shades don't just drop down when you turn off the ignition. They just have a much shorter travel when the ignition is on.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:40 PM   #13

More "help" from the Nanny State and corporate legal departments trying to justify their existence.

Why does that so-called "protection" need to be installed in the first place? What driver in his right mind is going to lower the shade far enough to block his view of the road?

Learning this has taken MCD off my list of new shade suppliers.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have a different opinion of them...

I just left their facility yesterday after they fixed both my front shade and the large one behind the passenger side couch...

Both issues were self induced and they charged me $62 to repair TWO 5 year old shades - I almost spent more in fuel getting there than that

The tech said the predominate reason the front blinds lose their memory is we do something else while moving the blind - like jacks or engine starts or something else that interrupts power or low voltage while the shade is moving...

Tags
fire