RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #1

MCD Shade Motor Replacement

I thought I would pass on my recent experience replacing the windshield shade motor in a 2011 Itasca Meridian. The night shade was running slowly for weeks, then it finally quit completely. After a couple of calls to MCD tech support and a confirmation that power was getting to the shade motor, I concluded that the motor likely shot so I ordered a replacement.

There are only two types of replacement motors, one for shades with a dashboard switch (this is my case) and another for a shade with a remote control. The new motor is white whereas the old motor was red. I won't bore you with the difficulty I had removing the shades from the mounted position. The old motor has an hex screw in the interior end of the motor that must be removed in order to pull the old motor out of the shade tube. The shade fabric must be unrolled to access this screw. The new motor does not use an hex screw.

The mounting end of the new motor is different than the old motor. The new motor has four little knobs that I presume fit into holes in the mounting bracket. My "old" coach does not have these holes in the bracket. Also, the two mounting screw holes in the new motor are smaller than the old motor, so the existing screws will not fit. The new motor did not come with new screws. Finally, the new motor is oval-shaped at the mounting end instead of being round, so that it now covers up the hole in the bracket that is intended for the wires to pass through.

I called tech support again to ask about the knobs and screws on the new motor. I was advised to just shave off the plastic knobs. I used a drill to slightly enlarge the screw holes so I could use the existing larger screws. I didn't want to use smaller screws since I was already compromising the mounting security by removing the knobs. To address the problem with wire hole in the bracket, I used a round file to elongate the hole. After connecting the wires, I confirmed that the shade was operational and reinstalled the blind with the grateful assistance of my wife.

The new motor has new instructions that are apparently different for programming the up and down limits, but I didn't program the shade. My shades periodically "forget" the limits and it is a real pain in the butt to reprogram them. I will be happy to just operate them visually. I hope this will help future do-it-yourselfers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For what it's worth, the shade programmer is not all that expensive. Sorry couldn't find an example right off, but about $17, if I remember.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #3

I am not familiar with the shade programming device. Is this an MCD product? How does it work? My shades are controlled with a switch, not a remote control, so if this works with remote control shades then I am out of luck.
Thanks.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I am not familiar with the shade programming device. Is this an MCD product? How does it work? My shades are controlled with a switch, not a remote control, so if this works with remote control shades then I am out of luck.
Thanks.
OK, dug out my programmer. Yours are MCD, ours are AutoMotion.

Ours are not remote controlled. A Google search for programming MCD shades had a lot of hits. You might also contact MCD.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:00 AM   #5

Hi. Thanks to the original poster. It was the only set of instructions we could find online to replace a red motor with a white motor. All those little hidden pitfalls that MCD don’t tell you ... especially that stupid little hex screw!
leroifox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement