RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MCD Shades

We had the premium day/night shades made for our coach. Had the powered windshield shade installed by a dealer in Tuscon (that's another story). they had to make a runner for the sides. Love the shades. Would do it over again. The rest of the shades I installed throughout the coach. Wasn't a bit deal if you took the time to measure them correctly before ordering.

gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Well I am going to make a negative and a positive statement on here.
I had work done at Davis Cabinets in Junction City, Oregon by recommendation (some of the cabinets are great, some, not so much....$12,000.00 later) Not mentioning prices here to brag or anything cause we don't have money. This is our life savings being spent so that we have as much as we can to make us comfortable and happy in our MH. We have two senior dogs that CAN NOT be left alone, so we don't get to see much, unless pups are allowed to go too. But we do travel alot, so we can see what we can while we can. So we are home in the MH alot. The reason for mentioning price is to show you, we spent alot of money at Davis for poor quality. And then spent more for shades as a distributor than we would have spent at MCD even with their price increase since we bought the first set. Distributors are sold to at a wholesale price these shades so that they can compete with MCD's online published price (which at the time we had never heard of MCD and we should have looked them up, but when on the spot, sometimes we make wrong choices) While at Davis we started to talk about our dreaded factory installed garbage accordion day night shades. The owner of Davis told me he sells and installs these MCD shades and convinced me to do them. I did 13 sets of duo manual shades and one duo power windshield shade. He showed me two samples and said pick one. And we did. Cost me $5318.00 plus $300 shipping, it took him a total of maybe 3 hours to remove my old ones and install the new ones. I had to pay to get them there 2nd day so we wouldn't be in his yard for a 4th week. Within weeks my cockpit and door shade started to fray. We went back to Davis and they so called fixed it by spreading the brackets and putting in tape. Adjusted the problems with the cabinets we were having too. 3 wks down the road, the cabinets were messed up again.
Within months (and this one we only use a bedtime) my door shade sprung.
and they started to fray again...so we made an appt with MCD this time. So, they told us what was wrong with the install of the cockpit, adjusted them the best they could but unless we bought new cockpit ones...all the problem would not go away. They replaced the roller assembly in the one that sprung. All this cost us nothing as they were under warranty. We got here just days before our warranty ran out...but they told us that they still will fix certain things if we have problems. We also found out that Davis installed a regular duo shade set on our door, (which is a PITA) instead of the door day shade and just the regular night shade above. So we ordered the proper day shade for doors (you can see it demo on their website), it will be shipped to us, they gave us extra hardware to do the install and showed my DH how. Easy.
The night shades that Davis sold us, have a felt backing on them. They get dirty, super easy and a PITA to clean. What we found out is, we should have had the vinyl ones installed, so much easier to clean and are not porous like the ones we have. All the patterns and materials they sell, cost the same, no more, no less. So for future reference as we are deciding if next fall we will do it or not. We got a price on redoing the whole coach again. Remove current shades, redo some of the mounts as they are incorrect, correct door shade and go with the vinyl night shade....installed by them will cost me $4240.00. No shipping charges.

I do love my MCD and would do them again and when we can come up with the money, we will redo the coach with the vinyl ones. For half the price, we can buy the singles of just the night shades and replace them as they use the same brackets....and then we can get the color we want too cause we were offered at Davis 2 colors. They actually offer 10 colors. Sorry for the long post and rant but just wanted to give my full view and experience after a year.
OH BTW, some of our windows don't have side valances so the shades with rock back and forth when traveling and the smacking noise is horrible. MCD tech gave us a small roll of material, kind of like one side of velcro. You cut it, sticky one side and put behind weight bar and the banging stopped. QUIET!

(JMO, stay away from Davis Cabinets for ANYTHING)

Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote