RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

MCD shades

We are looking at a 2015 Winnebago Vista LX35F with about 10,500 miles on the odometer.

Overall we like it.

It does not have the motorized sunvisor shade at the windshield. It does not have the day time shades on the other windows. We like both of those features.

Where can I get them installed and can anyone give me an approximate cost?

Thanks,

Bobby

Bobbystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Go to the MCD website to find a dealer near you.

Dealers | MCD Innovations

Also pricing is on their website at this link

Price Guide | MCD Innovations

If you are fairly handy you can purchase the shades and install them yourself. Dealers will charge a installation fee. MCD will work closely with you to get the correct size for your coach. I have installed a set in a Winnebago Class A and they worked well. It took me about 3 days to do it being I had to modify the windshield area some for the shade to fit.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I worked with MCD to add the solar shades to my Sunstar. I am not handy with tools, but even I could do the job. We loved the solar shades!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:09 AM   #4

We made an appt. at the factory and had them measure and install them. Love them....................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
MCD changed hands last year, just an FYI

AIRXCEL ACQUIRES MCD INNOVATIONS
Old 08-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Than
ks for the info.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #7

I had the windshield powered duo shade and manual duo cockpit shades installed by an MCD dealer in Yuma last winter. The manual side shades could be done by anyone with a screwdriver but the windshield can be a fair bit of work. Wiring needs to be run up to the top of the pillar from the fuse box, switches need to be installed in the dash and guides need to be attached to the pillars close to the windshield. Some Motor homes have a clearance available as a track to retain the shades as the travel up and down but mine did not...the idea is the shades are held close to the glass not hanging down free. In my case this involved the dealer paint matching a plastic L track and attaching it to the side pillars with 2 sided tape. Some trimming of the left pillar at the top was also done to accommodate the motor and wiring. Having watched the dealer spend a good day installing my windshield shade I would recommend you get the windshield shade installed by people that know what they are doing... but any other windows you can easily do yourself.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the responses. Hard to sed on my phone. Will look later on computer. Much appreciated.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I hated our MCDs.
After being in storage (Batts off) the memory on several "night" shades dumped (the day shades were fine). So I had to use the paperclip and key1/key2 process to reset them before heading out.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #10

How much $ was asked.
I'd like to know!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We love our mcd shades and apparently the design of our coach took them into account as the dash pillars have angled trim pieces the shade follows down to the dash...

Wish it were closer to the windshield, but works fine as is...

Only issue we've had was when we first bought the coach, I was moving the shade AS I started the coach, found out from MCD (who is just on the other side of DFW from me) that was a no-no - any changes in electrical state COULD cause issues with limit settings.

I had them adjust them all but one window shade was having issues, they took it apart and asked if I had worked on it, because it had sand all in the mechanism must have been previous owner and for a couple hours work, they charged me $60 - which was a bargain to me
Old 08-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #12

Once again I thank everyone for the responses. Decided not to buy it as the price was increased from what I was originally told.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just to answer the question, I added my own MCD shades to my Diplomat. The motorized windshield shade was $1100.00. The rest of the shades, 13 of them cost me $2300.00. The regular windows are easy to do, as long as your valance is deep enough to accept the thickness of the MCD shades. Remove old, screw in bracket and press shade into bracket. You can figure about $200.00 a piece on average sized windows.

Remember, the above price didn't include installation and I would not recommend that you try installing the windshield shade unless you're a very accomplished DIY type.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered and installed MCD manual shades two years ago. Back then their quality control was horrible. I had to return half of the shades they sent me. Problems from torn shade material, to inoperative mechanisms to stained material. They made everything right, but what a hassle. They may have better quality control now, but if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone with AutoMotion shades. AutoMotion are also less expensive.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote