Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MCD Shades - How hard to install?

I am seriously thinking of converting to manual MCD shades for the living area. I won't be doing the windshield. I'm about a 4 hr drive to the closest authorized installer so doing them myself seems to be the best option. I'm fairly handy with tools so I don't think I would have any problem, however I'd like to know what you think.

Do you have the MCD shades?

Do the help block heat during the summer?

If you installed them yourself, how difficult was it and how much time to do each window?

Any advise or tricks you learned doing your own?

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005 |TST 507 TPMS
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
MCD Shades

I have MCD electric shades in my 2008 Imperial. Mine were installed by Holiday Rambler/Monaco. Love them when they work. Suggest you do both day and night shades. When both are down the heat is greatly reduced in the coach. If you do electric, make sure you keep batteries around. First hint of a problem, replace the battery. That usually resovles the issues.

wbljml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Yes, I did my 3 large living-area windows with the dual MCD shades, the manual type. Replaced the standard pleated day/night shades.

They work great at blocking heat in the summer (sun glare) and the night shades block all light and wind. The privacy screens work quite nicely and still allow a breeze and you are able to see out.

Did all three in a 1/2-day or so. Remove the valances (or at least, the bottom fasteners so you can swing them away from the wall) and remove the old shades. Then place the new ones and refasten the valances.

Tricks? Well, of course you want to measure carefully for ordering, do allow for a few extra inches of length so you can pull them all the way down and have enough extra that you don't pull them off the rollers. Hardest part for me was finding the screws on the old shades to remove them... had to feel around the material a bit to locate the screw heads.

Make sure to test them and adjust the tension before replacing the valances.

Really though, if you can hang a roller shade in the home these shouldn't be an issue.

One trick I found was that when working on my windows it was actually easier to do them from the outside... I had better access climbing up on a ladder and sitting on the open window sill to get up under the valance than I did from the inside trying to work across the sofas and up under the valances. That's because I didn't remove my valances completely, just the bottom portions. Being on the window sill allowed me straight-up vertical access to the screws rather than coming up from an angle on the inside.

Now the power versions... that I haven't attempted.
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Any advise or tricks you learned doing your own?
Marc, Check it out .... MCD DUO Day/Night Shade Installation

Over 700 "reads" already! Thanks
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
DW and I did all 10 shades and the windshield. We took our time and took the valances down. While we had the valances down we recovered them with new fabric. Made a huge difference in final appearance. The pleated shades came down fairly easy once you find the screws as mentioned. Clearance is critical for smooth operation also. On each end are adjusters, black is for speed and white is for height. Took a few attempts to figure this out. We opted for manual night shades only because we already have Ceramic tinting on all of our windows. This saved a lot of money also. Only problem we have is over sleeping n the morning, it is DARK in the bedroom now! Would we do it again? Yes. Is it worth the money? it is to us! Measure twice and order once!
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
I installed MCD Duo Shades throughout the coach except for the cockpit area. The curve of the space behind our overhead cabinets in front would have necessitated 2 or 3 separate shades across the windshield, so we didn't install MCD shades there.

We LOVE the MCD shades. We wouldn't own a coach without them. The sun screen alone blocks some heat; but if the sun is especially hot, you need to pull down the night shade as well to really keep the heat out.

The shades aren't too difficult to install, especially if there is at least 2 1/4" or so clearance behind the valences. If there is less clearance, there are tricks to add to the clearance. You do need a long extension for your drill or screwdriver to reach up behind the blinds to remove and install the screws that hold the valences in place.

If you go to the MCD web site, there are links to customer installation blogs showing how the shades are installed. I think the one by RVcruzer shows a factory installation where they had to increase the clearance of at least some of his valences. DriVer's blog (see link in post #4) also has good info.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
I installed the MCD day/night shades in the entire MH except for the cockpit area. It works exactly as emiddleb said, except I removed the valances, it only took an extra couple of minutes per window, did the entire job in half a day. They work great, especially at night, no light gets past the night shades...
2003 DSDP NKK 18052
Matador 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Check out MCD Shades - Index for complete details on the MCD Shades and what it took to install them in our coach. FWIW - we'll never own another coach unless it has MCD shades in them. There is nothing out there in the same league. The article will explain it in detail.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Add us to the folks that are very happy with our MCD shades.

So far we have only done the forward living area excluding the windshield. Our valances would have been impossible to reinstall once the shades were attached so we installed the shades with the valances in place. There was not much room to work, but we got it done and would do it again.

Get a bit extension for you electric drill for screwing in the clips.

On wide shades requiring 3 or more clips start with the center clip. It will support the weight of the shade while you fasten the ends in place.

Engage shade in wall side of clip and rotate towards you to snap it in place.

Have a long shanked flat screw driver to reach up and snap stubborn shades into clip.

You will love the shades.
Bill Burgner, '05 Journey, 350 CAT
'05 Wrangler LJR, Blue Ox Aventa, Air Force One
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just installing MCD shades in the cockpit, power front (1 piece) and drivers side, manual passenger side. Installation was easy, now just have to wire and finish the pillars. They work really good.
Just living is not enough, One must have sunshine, freedom and a RV.
bigstonebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed MCD shades in my coach. Very simple and easy to do. The "tricks" are to take the valences down, mount the clips placing a small mark on the valence as to the location of the clip, remount the valences and clip on the blinds. I found a power screwdriver with a 5 inch bit made removing and fastening the valences simple. Since there is little room in the valence with the blinds installed, I found a small pry bar was best to release the clips if I had to remove them to adjust tensions after they were installed. Count on one hour for your first blind and then less then half an hour. It is very simple to do. Good luck,

09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote