Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #15

On their way

Placed the order and they should be here early next week and I will take down the current pleated blinds/drapes, that are still in real good shape, and install the new MCD American Duo shades. I will follow up with the installation process with pictures.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #16

Wiring question

On the front windshield shade the the motor and wiring will be on the right hand side. A couple of question on connecting the shade wiring to the coach wiring. The only existing 12v in the flat overhead where the track will connect are the 2 "defrost fans". I will need to move these forward a little and may even remove them. If I do this could be my coach 12v connection and the wiring runs up the drivers side A-pillar. But if I just move them forward I will need to find a coach 12V connection under the dash. Any suggestions on this.

Also I will be connecting the ignition wire from the shades to an ignition wire on the coach. The purpose is to allow the shades to lower a preset amount to serve as a sun visor while driving. With the ignition on they will not lower all the way down. According to what I read this connection just needs to be spliced to a wire that is powered on when the ignition is on and off when the ignition is off. Any suggestion on this.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #17

THe MCD shades have arrived

The MCD shades have arrived and I will start the install process tomorrow. I am excited abut that since I have have been talking about and planning this project going back to earlier this year. I will take pictures of the install and post these as I move forward. Thanks for the input up to this point.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are'nt your windshield fans on the ignition circuit? Pretty sure those fans on my last coach were.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Are'nt your windshield fans on the ignition circuit? Pretty sure those fans on my last coach were.
Yes, I checked and they are so I should be able to use that. Thanks. The 12V feed for the 2 windshield motors should be always on and I need a hot and ground for each to connect to the up / down switch. I am not sure what would be a good source for this. Any thoughts
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #20

MCD Shades Installed

I have been working on installing the MCD windshield and cockpit shades for a couple of weeks now and I have attached some pictures below. I ordered the American Duo Day/Night windshield and cockpit shades and the screen door pull up day shade and a single night shade for the door. The windshield shade is motorized and the others are manual. They arrived all wrapped and packed nicely in one big box. They fit my measurements exactly and it is a pleasure to see such a well built product made right here in the USA in McKinney TX. The MCD support staff are very helpful and answered all of my questions before the order and during the installation. I could not be more happy. The installation was very straight forward and covered in detail in the owners manual. If you are contemplating this project I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have. The secret is to measure, measure and measure again. Don't take anything for granted. I used an extension pole that locks in place for the windshield measurements, similar to what MCD uses when they install to make sure that I had the exact length. You will see in the first picture that when I removed part of the "A" frame trim on the drivers side I found a big roll of wires that were behind the cover coming up from the dash area. This meant that I had to push the windshield shade a little more forward to clear these wires. The passenger side "A" frame did not have any wires under it. One of the big issues I had as I covered before is the Dash "HUMP". MCD added a 4" section at the bottom of the shade with a flexible bottom that adjusts itself to the Hump, somewhat. Also because of the slant of the "A" frame I did not have enough room at the top of the drivers side window to cover a small section at the bottom window when the shade is pulled down. But I am working on a insert that will cover this when I am parked. I will follow up on this later. The remaining pictures show the finished install with the new "Hickory" wood valances that I made to hide the rollers. All in All it looks good and works great. The last 2 pictures are of the Momentary up/down switches for the windshield shades that I mounted on the dash. I made a small plate to hold the switches and after sanded several coats of black satin paint it looks good.

MCD Shades installed.pdf
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
adonh....You did a nice job. They fit well and hide well behind the wood. We just took our coach on a 6300 trip to the east coast and the shades worked great and are so much easier to use.

I have been looking for an off white or tan piece of flat stock to add to the front of the "A" pillar for the shade to run down. I see you have something like what I'm looking for. What did you use. I was going to use aluminum flat stock and paint it. Is your plastic?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
adonh....You did a nice job. They fit well and hide well behind the wood. We just took our coach on a 6300 trip to the east coast and the shades worked great and are so much easier to use.

I have been looking for an off white or tan piece of flat stock to add to the front of the "A" pillar for the shade to run down. I see you have something like what I'm looking for. What did you use. I was going to use aluminum flat stock and paint it. Is your plastic?
Thanks Don for your help and input when I started on this a few months ago. That really helped.

Yes it is a thin piece of plastic that I cut to fit and painted. It is held on to the "A" pillar with 3M double side foam tape. I thought of aluminum until I found this at Home Depot. It was some kind of trim piece that I cut to size. I will see what it is called when I head by there later today.