Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

MCI

I am in the market and have been looking at a lot of motor homes lately. Came across this on craigslist today. Does this seem like a good deal? I know there are not a lot of details on it but it is in my hometown and I could easily go look at it and find out more. MCI Motorcoach

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #2

Looks like a good deal to me!

No interior pics so I would suspect they are not too proud about either the decor or the condition.

I would definitely take a ride over!

Old 03-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Might also want to check BCM (if you haven't already) https://www.busconversions.com/magazine.html
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

If it would be in my neck of the woods, I'd be all over it! Interior is easy. IF there is no mechanical issues (and no rust!),.....it's a "GO" in my book.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

I have a call in to them and left a message so hopefully they call back soon.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #6

This is what I found out:

800+K miles on the chassis (too much for ME)
Reman engine installed 85K miles ago (original tranny )
Four (possibly more) owners (too many for ME)
No service records (A BIG "no-no" for me )
Last time serviced (without documentation) two years ago
Recent all new airbags ()
No leaks, no rust reported (coach lived all it's life on the East Coast )
Needs new tires ASAP (eight of them! )
Not enough cabinets in the living area (existing ones installed by the previous owner )
Dash A/C doesn't work ()
Needs new carpet
Needs new fender skirts

IF closer to me, I'd take a look in person/test drive, and offer the appropriate amount for it.

According to my calculation, it would cost ME appx. 10-15K to "zero it out" (bring EVERYTHING up to date). That does not include more cabinets, possible issues with tranny, brakes, and shocks.

Current owner inherited the coach few months ago from an elderly father, and doesn't know much about it. Father can not be contacted.

It was driven recently for 900+ miles, without knowing whether it has compression, or exhaust brake (supplemental braking system not being used), which can mean overheated brakes/bearings (or even bigger problems).

EXACTLY the same scenario I faced in January, when I drove 1100 miles to look at Prevost. Made myself few promises at that time,........"unless all service records/papers are available, and unless I can get answers from the person that knows the coach in detail,....I'll pass". "More than two owners...pass". "More than 200K miles on the chassis.....pass". Stuff like that.

You may feel different. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #7

We met with he guy and spent about an hour and a half going over the bus. It had a lot of things I liked but it was going to be more of a project than I am up for at this time. The detroit engine sounded really good as well as the 15kw geneset. Previous poster is right with cabinet space not being adequate also it had no cookstove.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #8

Good decision "Quatro".

One thing I've learned in my search for a "bus type" MH (MCI, Prevost, Van Hool, etc.) is to beware of the price point. In that world (buses) there is NOTHING worth purchasing below about 80K. Even those will need another 5-10K to "zero out". If one is OK with financing (I am not), there are some great coaches available in 75-85K range.

If one wants to buy one for cash, one has to carefully calculate the ACTUAL cost! Very few people have 80+K in CASH sitting around (unless they are operating "high cashflow business"). Pulling that amount of cash from one's investments will cost in lost interest/revenue/dividends. There is simply no "free cash" for normal people.

In my case,.....I decided to "curb my enthusiasm" a bit, and buy something cheaper (for the amount I had sitting around, and not producing revenue for me). Since my disposable income ("play money") grows, I will be ready to drop up to 100K in cash for a vintage Prevost (as this is what I want) in couple of years.

For now,.......I am VERY happy to have found the Vogue I purchased in January.