Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbates View Post
I made an offer on Monaco Monarch at the colton store...they accepted the offer and we were pleased until..Then the bogus FEEs were thrown into the papperwork..We even considered paying some of it untill my retired military salesman actually started calling me names because we took up his time. We walked away...Never will we buy anything from them...
Would that salesman be named Wayne??? I think so.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I made an offer on Monaco Monarch at the colton store...they accepted the offer and we were pleased until..Then the bogus FEEs were thrown into the papperwork..We even considered paying some of it untill my retired military salesman actually started calling me names because we took up his time. We walked away...Never will we buy anything from them...
It would help if you listed the "bogus" fees. Some, may in fact, be legitimate but we have no way of knowing that from your post.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #17

stay away

i remember reading a post not to long ago on here from someone that was purchasing a new trailer.

he had a trailer to trade in which had a loan balance on it. they said they would pay it off so he thought it was a good deal.

wrong wrong so now he's making payments on 2 trailers.

he posted that he was taking them to court soon.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #18

Quote:
What " bogus fees"? Just curious.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 5th wheel from them last summer in Mesa Az. They where very good during the transaction they tried to up sell me on a couple of items which they all do. Delivery was well done and during the pre delivery walk through I noted one of the tires looked like it had been run very low, they where only two years old and the other three were in great shape. They did not hesitate and replace the bad one with a new one. The trailer had no stereo receiver although it had surround sound with a HD TV I told them I wanted one included and it was agreed. I was asked if I had a preference and said I was a little partial to Samsung. Low and behold a Samsung receiver appeared after delivery. After delivery, (actually about three months later) I found a problem that I felt should have been seen and repaired pre sale. After discussing it with them and because I was now 200 miles away they allowed me to hire a local contractor to make the repair and McMahon's paid for it. They never questioned my assessment of the problem or looked at it themselves. I did sent them several pictures. I expected the old "well bring it back in and we'll have a look" but they didn't. Overall my transaction was very good. Getting the title was slow but they had told me that up front that it usually took 6 weeks to process until I had title in hand. No, I didn't pay too much for it but got a very fair deal compared to several other lots and units I looked at in the western US. It was the middle of August with temps at 115* so they didn't have many other customers.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep his name was Wayne....
The PDI fee was 1,995 dollars and it went down hill from there...
wdbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Oh Yeah, I called it didn't I. Real piece of ---- . As far as the past posts here is one for you . At the Rose Bowl Show after they promised us they would fix EVERYTHING... I pointed out to Salesman Wayne that was ready to take our unit back over 100 mi that the tires all looked dangerously low. He says oh they will be alright. To lazy to put air in. The next week at delivery I checked them myself . There wasen't a tire that had even 40lbs. And call for 75 or 80. As I say they are no good and if the previous posts don't agree, I sure hope they bring ALL their Family and friends there.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I wouldn't call that "bogus" but certainly too much.

Now, how about listing the "bogus" ones we asked for?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr D
The 2000 dollar PDI fee was added after a negotiated price has been agreed to is bogus. PDI (pre delivery safty inspection)is required for all sales by dealers here in Ca. USA
The additional fees that were added BY McMahans that day were obivously added to inflate my cost of the Motor Home. That was my point in my post.
wdbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Last year McMahon's tried to sell me a used coach that I do not believe they owned. They had me sign a contract that was not completely filled in and give them a deposit. Long story but after two weeks of calling and trying to get answers I drove to the SB store and demanded my deposit back. They agreed but it still took 5 days to return my funds. When I told this to a friend who is in the business he told me that he doubted that they owned the coach in the first place or they would not have agreed to let me out of the contract so easily.

Okay yes I should not have signed an incomplete contract my dumbness there but in my defense I really wanted that coach.

Try La Mesa RV in San Diego they gave me a good deal.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Mr D
The 2000 dollar PDI fee was added after a negotiated price has been agreed to is bogus. PDI (pre delivery safety inspection)is required for all sales by dealers here in Ca. USA
The additional fees that were added BY McMahans that day were obviously added to inflate my cost of the Motor Home. That was my point in my post.
Ahh, finally you posted what actually happened. Yes, I'd back out at that point too.
When we ordered our present DSDP the dealer passed on a state excise tax that we didn't know about. Called the state about it and they said it was legal to pass it on through and it was about $2,800 in 2002 $$'s. WE wanted the rig, had the money so paid it anyway.
That stealer is out of business now and they lost the Newmar dealership years before that.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wrangler338....I live near the So Cal store and shopped there once. Would never buy from them. Whatever you do, don't trade in an RV that is still owned by the bank. There was a very long post on here several months ago by a guy that traded in an RV and then waited over 45 days for them to finally pay it off. He was frantic and was calling them everyday, but they ignored him. Just a lousy dealer.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #27

OK, it seems pretty well determined that McMahon's isn't a very good dealer to buy from. (I'll back that up from our times visiting their lots...)

So what's a buyer to do?

In our case, we bought our only new RV through a more local, small town type dealer. It was a very good experience. They matched Giant RV's price, ordered the coach for us and prepped it well. We spent three hours on a PDI check with them ($180) and left with a good deal on a good fifth-wheel toyhauler.

Our three diesel pusher motorhomes, we bought on eBay. Sight unseen, at prices at least 15% below real market price. Big dealers such as Giant, Thompson & McMahon (all SoCal by the way) tend to price their coaches quite high.

When I mentioned what similar coaches were actually selling for elsewhere, they scoffed. No problem, we simply bypassed those big guys and searched out realistically priced coaches.

We would not consider buying a new motorhome due to the massive initial depreciation. But if you simply must have that new formaldehyde smell, then it looks like 25% discount from "MSRP" is about right.

For many buyers, I think the only way to get a good deal is to travel a bit. Do some internet searching, long distance negotiating is quite easy, and hey you're buying the thing to travel anyways, why not a nice drive home?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #28

Which dealer is the best in southern cal? I went to Camping World and they are following you all over with their electric carts. I was hiding inside the RV's for a while to stop the pressure selling. Also their prices are very high and most coaches don't have prices on them. You have to ask on almost all of them.