Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
MCU's

Any pro's/con's on Super Steer MCU's. I ordered a set and was wondering if anyone had any issues with them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a set on a 2002 36' Journey on the Freightliner XC chassis and the difference (improvement) in overall handling was pretty amazing. Walmart wobble was significantly reduced and the coach did not lean on freeway ramps like before. I thought it was the best improvement I ever made to that coach in terms of drivability.

So I put a set on the coach I have now which is a 42' with tag axle. While I noticed a slight improvement in a coach that already handled well, it was not that much different. So, in your shorter coach without a tag axle you will likely notice a lot of improvement.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #3

X2 on the benefits of these things. They made a tremendous improvement in the way our coach handled.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Several owners on TiffinRVNetwork forum have installed stainless steel sharkbite quarter turn ball valves with same results as MCU's. Got mine from Grainger for $15.00 ea. They are adjustable as well. Only down side is it takes a little longer for bags to inflate after dumping. But then MCU will as well. Takes some test runs and adjustments to get what you like, firm to soft. I stared with valves at half position as base line, then went larger and smaller. We felt the 50% closed position was best on our coach. Slightly firmer response then without valve restrictions.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:25 PM   #5

Just installed a set of the MCU units. I have only driven about 700 miles but can see an improvement in handling. Most noted is cross wind handling as well as curves. Much more stable. When the wife notices a difference in handling you can be sure they are worth the cost.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I believe Source Engineering in Coburg, OR has their own valve that is reported to be as good or better than the Super Steer MCU.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I believe Source Engineering in Coburg, OR has their own valve that is reported to be as good or better than the Super Steer MCU.
They do...Comfort Control Valves....$310 a pair.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I was using "MCU" as a generic term, guess I shouldn't. It was the SE units that I installed at the same time I got the wax valve.

Show special, $100 each
Old 07-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I was using "MCU" as a generic term, guess I shouldn't. It was the SE units that I installed at the same time I got the wax valve.

Show special, $100 each
I did not know SE had their own valves when I was in JC in July 2014. I got the Henderson valves from a shop in Eugene and had CC install them.