Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone have a simple way to measure height of an RV at the highest point? My MH has a label on the dash that height is 12' 3", but I'd like to know for sure (particularly since I've added vent covers). Actually, I suspect the highest point is the rear ladder. It does have some light scrape marks on it that I suspect were added at an RV service place with a not-quite-tall-enough entry door.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone have a simple way to measure height of an RV at the highest point? My MH has a label on the dash that height is 12' 3", but I'd like to know for sure (particularly since I've added vent covers). Actually, I suspect the highest point is the rear ladder. It does have some light scrape marks on it that I suspect were added at an RV service place with a not-quite-tall-enough entry door.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #3

Yep, the simplest way I can think of is getting on the roof with a 2X4 and a level. Go to the highest part of the rig, put one end of the 2X4 on the high point and place the level on top of the 2X4 in about the middle.

Extend the 2X4 over the edge of the rig, and have someone on the ground with a tape measure. Measure from the ground to t he bottom of the 2X4. Exact distance every time. Just make sure the air bags are inflated, if you have them.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:18 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
Anyone have a simple way to measure height of an RV at the highest point? My MH has a label on the dash that height is 12' 3", but I'd like to know for sure (particularly since I've added vent covers). Actually, I suspect the highest point is the rear ladder. It does have some light scrape marks on it that I suspect were added at an RV service place with a not-quite-tall-enough entry door. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

The published height is 11' 10" however the asterisk warns that this is based on the curb weight of the typically equipped coach and can vary 2".

I would park the coach on level grownd and then measure from the ground to the top of the inboard side rail of the ladder. Then measure from the top of the ladders inboard side rail to the roof and subtract this from the first measurement then add one inch to account for the pitch of the roof which should give you the basic roof height. Measure from the roof to the top of each item and add that measurement to the basic roof height measurement until you get the highest.

However this is not a clearence measurement it is just the basic distance to ground of the tallest item on your roof when the motorhome was not moving with the motorhome loaded the way it was when you took the measurement when it was parked on level ground.

Inclines, arches, potholes, empty tanks, cross winds and frost heaves etc will change this and sometimes quite drastically. I add at least one foot to the basic distance to ground measurement and use that as my moving clearance height.

My coach is published as 11' 8" high the vent covers and such bring it closer to 12' 6" so for me anything under 13' 6" requires an alternative route. If I get caught having to go under something between 12' 8" and 13' 6" I put on the emergency/warning flashers and slow down.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #5

With the MH in our garage. I put a laser light on top of the ladder. I scaned across the MH roof to see if the light hit the Sat. Dish my highest item on roof. I do not use vent covers. Than I measured from the top of the ladder to the garage floor for my height. Ours is 11'5".
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great ideas. I particularly like the idea of using a laser light/laser level on a high point to see if anything else is higher. If you were in a garage, you could then hit the wall with the leveled laser light and measure up the wall to that point. No wall beside me here in the RV park though so I'll have to measure from a level board or the ladder arm.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #7

Another suggestion I heard once was to drive to an overpass on a road that does not have much traffic. Climb up on the roof and measure from the bottom of the overpass to the ground; then from the overpass to the highest point on your MH. Subtract and you have your "static" height. Not all overpass measurements are correct. Resurfacing of the road can decrease the actual height of the overpass.

Also, if you enter an overpass at a steep angle your roof can still hit the overpass because your coach is not level and a up or down sloping roadway going into a level road inside a tunnel or overpass could cause you to contact the overpass. Rare event to be sure but it could happen.

Mine is 11'5" from the top of the dome to the ground on level ground.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #8

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
had the new 2007 KVH Trac Vision R5 in-motion sat installed and it sure looks tall 15 1/ 2 high. now I am always thinking about low ranches on some streets. On my 2006 Class A motorcoach . I have to be at least at 12 feet and maybe 9 inches by now. That is getting scary high for some places.
No FAST FOOD drive thru , that is for sure.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:31 AM   #9

You say 15'1/2" wow!!Legal hight is 13'6". Newer underpasses are higher but I would not travel back roads.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
15.5 feet doesnt sound right. That puts you 2 feet taller then a semi truck. You wouldnt make it to far on any interstate at that height. Better get a new measuring stick
Old 04-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
15.5 feet doesnt sound right. That puts you 2 feet taller then a semi truck. You wouldnt make it to far on any interstate at that height. Better get a new measuring stick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that is 15.5 inches for the total height of the mounted dome which is advertised as:

Sleek, low-profile 14.5" high dome with signature KVH design.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Neil. My mistake. Went back and read post again and it all makes sense now