Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Mechanic’s dolly onboard?

Newbie question again

Do you guys carry a dolly onboard for rolling in under your RVs?

Or am I crazy to think that would be a good idea? LOL

Side note: drove my first DP!! 40 foot Tradewinds at a dealer - aside from a lot of cupboards rattling, it wasn’t as noisy as we thought it may be😎 and!! Highway driving with some good city stops and curbs - not one ride up on a curb
*feeling proud of myself* ... and definitely going to take the course! LOL
RVjody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVjody View Post
Newbie question again

Do you guys carry a dolly onboard for rolling in under your RVs?

Or am I crazy to think that would be a good idea? LOL

Side note: drove my first DP!! 40 foot Tradewinds at a dealer - aside from a lot of cupboards rattling, it wasn’t as noisy as we thought it may be😎 and!! Highway driving with some good city stops and curbs - not one ride up on a curb
*feeling proud of myself* ... and definitely going to take the course! LOL
RVjody,
Well, first off, I'm supposing you mean a "creeper", correct? Second, all coaches are different so, the available space, AFTER loading all that anyone carries, can be quite limited to be able to carry something like a creeper. And third, about 99.99% of most diesel pushers ride and sit quite low so, unless you're about the thickness of a couple of pieces of typing paper, it's pretty hard to ride a creeper under most of them. At least it is for me.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #3

most people wouldn't bother wasting the space with something you might never need like that,think about where are you going to put it. I keep a large towel,like a fender cover for crawling underneath if I need to,you can use the leveling jacks to raise it up.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Raising the rig up with jacks only works if you have jacks, which I don't. Air leveling only and there is no way to crawl under the rig, let alone on a creeper.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #5

I look at stuff like that as a buy and donate/sell item. I don't carry as many tools as I could for projects or repairs I might never need them for. But if the need arises, Harbor Freight has plenty of cheap tools that will get the job done and will sell fast on Craigslist or do more good at a charity like Habitat for Humanity.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:48 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's what you're looking for....it's a continuous loop of material that will slide up to five feet. It's called a wheeless creeper.

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Creeper.../dp/B00EZV05OQ
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I carried one for a year, used it several times for inspecting the underside of my Dynasty and then decided it took up too much space...donated to Hospice. Now I use a 3' x 6' piece of cardboard that slides along the wall of my narrow compartment and takes up no space.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:06 AM   #8

I carry a 6 X 10 foot roll of automotive grade carpet in mine.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I carry a "furniture blanket" which has multiple uses, i.e. climbing under the coach (any weather condition), stacking cargo and preventing rattles, as well as a picnic surface, pet mat, etc. etc. etc.. When it gets spoiled, I just get it washed.

Also carry a folding mechanics mat which makes working around the coach much more comfortable (on the knees). Both stow away easily, do not take up much space.

Name:   shopping.jpeg
Views: 1235
Size:  4.5 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailerware-tw2x4mat.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	189263
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:26 AM   #10

This is what I carry, a folding mechanics mat that I got from Harbor Freight. Folds up nice, lightweight, comfortable, and doesn’t take up much room. I actually have two mats, one i leave in the motorhome and one in my garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE0E7328-8EAF-459D-B96B-386451421763.jpeg
Views:	557
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	189264
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepz View Post
most people wouldn't bother wasting the space with something you might never need like that,think about where are you going to put it. I keep a large towel,like a fender cover for crawling underneath if I need to,you can use the leveling jacks to raise it up.
You should never get under a vehicle supported by hydraulics. Probable says that right on the control panel. Same with air suspension.

Use for lifting and then use something solid to support.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #12

Oh yeah, you bet I carry a creeper. And after many years of trying all the above methods and having bought cheaply made creepers —like Walmart & Harbor Freight models—that pinch your arms, get stuck on pebbles, cracks and the like, I finally bought this creeper that I should of bought years ago. It rolls on any surface including gravel and no more pinched arms and keeps me dry and clean while I work.

I have one bay dedicated to my tools, sprays, lubes, air compressor, grease gun, spare parts and such and I just store it in that same bay. We FT, I do all my own maintenance and I love my creeper. Our gas coach has plenty of clearance for me to slide under the chassis and check and work on things on a regular basis and my knees and back are very grateful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:03 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I used to, but it took up a lot of space in the basement, and that extra couple inches of height was often a problem under the coach.
So now that's in the garage and I carry a heavy duty 4x6 entry mat - like those you sometimes see at the front door to grocery stores or restaurants.
The rubber backing keeps me dry in the event the ground is wet, and it rolls up nicely for storage.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Big piece of cardboard box, the big truck mobile repair guys use cardboard.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly