Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd bet if you asked 100 folks the purpose for valve caps few would know the three reasons for having them: 1. keeps dirt from getting in the valve. 2. Seal the stem from a possible valve core leak. 3. They look nice.

Every part on every vehicle has five things that I expected my students to know. Name, Location, Function (s), Symptoms when they failed and How to test the part. Every diagnosis begins with understanding those items and are the keys to accurate and quick diagnosis.

When explaining those 5 item to students I often used the simple valve cap as an example of how my unique teaching method worked.

Good information Lynn!!

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've had metal valve caps save me! I was checking the tire pressures on my Bus and for whatever reason (ok, the gorilla using the tire pressure tool!), when I checked the tire pressure on front driver I bent the shraeder stem. Luckily, the valve cap was strong enough to hold the pressure until I could go buy and replace the inner valve stem.

FYI I now keep spare valves (the inner part, not sure what it's technical name is) and the tool (the good screwdriver shaped one) in the bus in case that ever happens again.

Yes, I know that since I now have the tool and the part it will never happen again!

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The proper name is valve stem core.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Valve Stem Caps

We just got back from a trip to Phoenix and while there I checked the tire pressure on the driver side rear inner tire. I have tire minders monitors on the tires and the battery went bad. When I took the tire minder sending unit off, I immediately had a air leak. Quickly retightened the cap which stopped the leak. Discovered the valve stem had worked its way loose. Luckily I had the tool to retighten it. The metal (brass) valve stem monitor cap kept me from having a flat. But has anyone had a issue with valve stems working their way loose while using Tire Minder sensors?
Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 AM   #19

I have been using Alligator V2B valve caps for 5 years. I am pleased with the design so you do not have to remove them, provides a much easier pre trip inspection.

https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Inf.../dp/B014VCY3S2
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:52 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, same ones that I had posted yesterday but cheaper through Amazon.

They are the best!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurney7040 View Post
We just got back from a trip to Phoenix and while there I checked the tire pressure on the driver side rear inner tire. I have tire minders monitors on the tires and the battery went bad. When I took the tire minder sending unit off, I immediately had a air leak. Quickly retightened the cap which stopped the leak. Discovered the valve stem had worked its way loose. Luckily I had the tool to retighten it. The metal (brass) valve stem monitor cap kept me from having a flat. But has anyone had a issue with valve stems working their way loose while using Tire Minder sensors?
Not personally but I can see how it would happen. The tire minder is pressing down on the valve stem so when you take it off (by twisting), the valve stem could be twisted too by friction if it isn't in real tight. Nothing I'd worry about if you have a tool and keep it handy.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
All of my valve stem caps are the TPMS type.
These are not fool proof either, several years ago while on a motorcycle trip we met a fellow biker on the side of the interstate that had installed a TPMS system on his bike and was telling us how it just saved his life, I got a warning that he had a tire with 0 psi and managed to keep the bike upright and get off on the shoulder, he already had a trailer coming from the Harley dealer down the road so we headed out ourselves, we stopped at the Harley dealer and met him there after the sevice techs looked over his tire it was found that the TPMS valve cap had cracked and thats what let all the air out.
We all had a good laugh while poking fun at the fact that the device that was supposed to save him actually almost killed him.

Nothing in Life is a Guarantee.
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #23

The inside right rear tire on my coach consistently loses 10psi per week, while none of the others lose any at all. I tightened the valve core, but when that didn't fix it I resigned myself to having to have the wheel off to look for the leak. Never even thought it might be a bad valve cap; I'll check that when I get it out of storage tomorrow. It would be nice if it was as simple an issue as that!
PantherJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #24

I'm going to agree 100% with "gurelens & Dr4Film. That is all we used on all of the pkg cars & tractors at UPS.
2 cats-trekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #25

The plastic ones are merely dust caps to keep dust, mud, etc out of the valve core. They do not hold much air pressure, nor are they designed to do so.
Metal caps are designed to seal in case the valve core fails, plus keep dirt and mud out.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great post Lynn

Had a similar experience with an inside dual. The o-ring from the cap had seated itself in the stem, giving me an intermittent slow leak.

On the road in Pendleton, OR my TPMS went off. On the second trip to the tire shop, the tech found the o-ring jammed in the extender