Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Metal tire valve caps---beware!!!

I am a maintenance type person. I continually check things like fluid levels, lights and tire pressures. Two weeks ago I was checking things over and checked all the tire pressures in my MH. They were fine and I had to add nothing to them. Last weekend I walked by the MH parked in my backyard and something didn't look quite right. I found the inside dual tire on the right side completely flat. I was surprised to see this as I have never had to add any more than a couple pounds of air to any tire on this unit. The fact it had only moved enough to mow around and under it then put back where it was really made me wonder.
I removed the wheel and tire, aired it up and sprayed it with soapy water. I couldn't find a leak anywhere. I left it sitting in my garage all night and all the next day and when I got home from work I checked the pressure again. It was at exactly 90#. Just where I had set it. I screwed the valve cap back on which I had left off while checking the tire with the soapy water. Just before I had the cap tightened I could hear air leaking somewhere. I got the soapy water out and sprayed the tire again. There were bubbles forming all around the valve stem where the cap screws on. I removed the cap and I couldn't hear any air leaking at all. I sprayed the valve and there was no sign of a leak. I looked into the valve cap and discovered there is a rubber gasket or seal inside the cap which helps to seal the end of the tire valve to the cap. What I discovered was the gasket was torn slightly and the loose piece in it was getting forced against the tire valve core depressing it enough to let air escape from the valve. Sure enough when I screwed the cap back on the valve started leaking again.
I have since removed ALL the metal valve caps from my tires and have replaced them with the plastic caps so common on most vehicles out there today. I would suggest to anyone if at anytime they remove a metal cap they inspect the inside of the cap carefully before reinstalling it or toss it away and put the plastic caps on.
It's not too often being careful and trying to do the right thing gets you into trouble. Apparently it happens though. I'm just thankful I found this before setting out on a trip thinking everything was fine.
Lynn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Had the same thing happen on inside rear , it was the extension type ...

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
GGC

I would have replaced the bad metal cap with a similar metal cap or all with metal caps.
The plastic cap is just that, plastic. Ninety lbs pressure in your tires is best contained by a stronger metal cap if the valve ever starts to leak. I would think the plastic caps are not rated for that pressure. JMHO
Old 06-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Lynn, you are really going in the wrong direction here. You had one bad o-ring in a metal cap and blame all metal caps. Plastic caps should never be used for more than 40 psi. You really need to think about this instead of going off the deep end.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

All of my valve stem caps are the TPMS type.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Lynn, you are really going in the wrong direction here. You had one bad o-ring in a metal cap and blame all metal caps. Plastic caps should never be used for more than 40 psi. You really need to think about this instead of going off the deep end.
Agreed. One is much more likely to have the valve cores start leaking. A plastic cap will not seal that off. A good metal one will.

You are condemming metal caps, based on the failure of ONE seal, while the much greater failure rate is among cores, which metal caps will seal, and plastic will not. You have just upped your chances of a leak by several times.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #7

All the caps on my trucks, 4 f-350s and a commercial ten wheel dump truck are required to have metal valve caps. I can't recite the law but the DOT requires metal valve stem caps over a certain tire pressure or weight. It is legal to use the metal caps with the valve extension built in but they must be metal. I guess one must inspect them for the o ring issue though. Oh yeah, must all have metal valve stems too!
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:16 AM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good find, This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts....

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Good find, This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts....
I agree! Good find Lynn. Who would have thought to look there? Thanks for relating the event to us all!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I too have had this "rolled O-ring" problem on chassis show muscle cars as use chrome caps and stem sleeves. Always inspect cap o-ring "Before screwing on".
On coach when checking air pressure nite before heading out, I dropped metal cap behind wheel. Said, I'll wait till morning and move coach and retrieve cap.
Next morning RH frt tire completely flat. Aired tire up, soaped checked schrader valve...leaking. Removed valve . re-installed, still leaking. Installed new valve...leaking. Found the inside valve stem treads damaged. Somebody, at some time, had crossed threaded the valve. The metal cap had kept that tire aired up to 110 lbs for years. Sorry....No plastic caps for me.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #11

When you started the story Lynn, I really thought you were going to say you set the tire caps on the ground while checking tire pressures and when you put them back on the tires you didn't notice a vary small stone had gotten inside the cap, and that pressed on the valve stem letting air leak out.

Brought back memories of childhood when certain mean teachers cars were mysteriously getting flat tires while their cars were parked on the school grounds. It seems the teachers usually found someone had placed a small rock under the valve cap to let the air out. Now I would never do something like that so it must have been some of my other friends
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #12

After thinking this over I guess I will have to concede. Maybe in my frustration I acted a little too hastily.
I will replace the plastic caps with all new metal caps. I didn't give a thought at the time about the extra sealing with the metal caps.
You can bet I will inspect the caps closely any time I remove them though. I will have a couple spares in the tool box also.
Thanks,
Lynn
Old 06-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I was using those plastic caps on my coach whenever I removed the TPMS sensors and we were sitting for an extended period of time.

I have since purchased all metal caps for my coach, two cars and trailer from Innovative Balancing where I purchased the Dyna Beads for tire balancing.

I would strongly suggest that you purchase metal caps and throw away the plastic ones. And then if the same situation happens throw it away and replace with a new metal cap.

Also I would strongly suggest that you get a TPMS for your coach and any vehicle that you may tow with your coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
After thinking this over I guess I will have to concede. Maybe in my frustration I acted a little too hastily.
I will replace the plastic caps with all new metal caps. I didn't give a thought at the time about the extra sealing with the metal caps.
You can bet I will inspect the caps closely any time I remove them though. I will have a couple spares in the tool box also.
Thanks,
Lynn
Lynn, FWIW..when at car shows walking thru vendor area I look at the valve stem caps for sale. Some are made better then others. Some have o-ring grove machined in, but most just have a o-ring stuff in cap, that can roll up and depress the Schrader valve. jus sayn

Ones I prefer have the flat rubber washer in bottom of cap. If its in correct when installing, it stays in position.

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote