Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Methane Madness!

Ever since we purchased our 2014 BOUNDER this spring, on every trip at some point the coach was filled with this methane smell Rotten eggs- sewer, what ever you want to call it. I have received some good advice on gassing batteries and failed waste vent caps under the sink. This weekend after a couple days camping while the DW was sleeping in one morning she was rudely awaken by the stench. She said it as if it emanating right there in the bedroom. She was right-it was all over the MH but strongest in the bedroom. I got to thinking about it "when meditating on this singlar circumstance" I had an epiphany. The washer dryer combo! We do not have one but we have the space and plumbing! The P-Trap was bone dry! Removed the trap, stuffed in some damp rags-problem solved. Have had no rotten egg smell...well maybe a little..oops...excuse me
I will plumb in some more perm remove able caps this week.
PS...I guess I should throw this out there for the DWV challenged. The purpose of a P-trap is to create a water barrier in the pipes which will keep sewer gases from entering your home from the drains. If a drain is not used for a long while the water barrier can evaporate leaving open route for the noxious/poisonous gas.
TWINCAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

Awesome catch. Sometimes it is the easiest things that we overlook.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is a good catch! I just learned that on my house now that the kids are gone. The unused bathrooms evaporate.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
Community Administrator

RV antifreeze will evaporate much slower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
That is a good catch! I just learned that on my house now that the kids are gone. The unused bathrooms evaporate.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCAMSAM View Post
Ever since we purchased our 2014 BOUNDER this spring, on every trip at some point the coach was filled with this methane smell Rotten eggs- sewer, what ever you want to call it. I have received some good advice on gassing batteries and failed waste vent caps under the sink. This weekend after a couple days camping while the DW was sleeping in one morning she was rudely awaken by the stench. She said it as if it emanating right there in the bedroom. She was right-it was all over the MH but strongest in the bedroom. I got to thinking about it "when meditating on this singlar circumstance" I had an epiphany. The washer dryer combo! We do not have one but we have the space and plumbing! The P-Trap was bone dry! Removed the trap, stuffed in some damp rags-problem solved. Have had no rotten egg smell...well maybe a little..oops...excuse me
I will plumb in some more perm remove able caps this week.
PS...I guess I should throw this out there for the DWV challenged. The purpose of a P-trap is to create a water barrier in the pipes which will keep sewer gases from entering your home from the drains. If a drain is not used for a long while the water barrier can evaporate leaving open route for the noxious/poisonous gas.
Don't waste time in unneeded plumbing. Go to an auto parts store with the measurement you need to plug the pipe and buy a rubber plug meant to replace an engine block freeze out plug. The plug will have a nut on a stem which expands the plug when it is inserted and tightened down. Removal is simply backing the nut off releasing the plug and you are good to go. Cost would probably be under $3.00.
Lynn
Old 09-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I didn't know that, thanks! Lord knows I have plenty of that in the garage right now - tis the season.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Throw some vegetable oil on top of the antifreeze and it will last for a long time.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Throw some vegetable oil on top of the antifreeze and it will last for a long time.
Thanks - I'll try that too
Old 09-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Adding water, anti-freeze, or oil to the P-Trap in your case is a waste of time. Driving will slosh the liquid out, and you'll be right back to the smells. Since your Washer drain is not being used at all, simply do what LETMGROW suggested and plug it with a rubber expansion plug; quick, easy, cheap, and easily removable in case you DO get a washer in the future.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #10

I wouldn't try to keep the P-traps full. Go with the plug. Heck, put some cling wrap around the end of the pipe and use a rubber band to secure it in place.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

3 parts to this, the alternate fluids will make it last longer. They will eventually dry up or slosh out. If you cut out the p-trap you limit it for the next owner. (I know if I saw this I would penalize you in the purchase price).

A $.39 pipe cap and some pvc pipe seal from Home Depot is you best solution.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
3 parts to this, the alternate fluids will make it last longer. They will eventually dry up or slosh out. If you cut out the p-trap you limit it for the next owner. (I know if I saw this I would penalize you in the purchase price).

A $.39 pipe cap and some pvc pipe seal from Home Depot is you best solution.
I second that!!
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Go to a plumbing supply and ask for a "fernco".
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote