Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldBear View Post
I believe the comments relative to "IF" I were ever involved in an accident, with injuries, and possibly being liable because of my over-length, nailed it.

I will now ONLY drive legal length, based on my states 65' limit.

Thank you to ALL that have contributed comments.
As I think about this, would over length have any more impact than speeding. If you are the cause of an accident because of in attentive driving, what would the over length have to do with the cause? If it isn't a factor in causing the accident, other than a citation for over length, what difference could it make. You are already at fault from in attentive driving. If the trailer has working brakes and neither the coach or trailer are over loaded, how could the length be a contributing factor? If it is not a contributing factor, how can it add to the liability? Just wondering.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe an insurance company or a litigious accident victim will use ANY out of compliance evidence to their advantage. The insurance company might use it to claim non payment of claims, a victim will use it as an example of 'reckless' driving, ignoring the law, etc. If you check the news for lawsuits, you'll see less evidence than this to try and hang a case on people.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #31

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431728105.681177.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	94340

It works for me!
Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 PM   #32

Yes you are correct. I had to go back and look at the pic I quoted. I was looking at the conventional front end and not the hitch set up. Toterhome, tractor, fith wheel.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Yep, I'm over length with my toad in my home state. The biggest hassle for me has been my driveway approach at my front gate. I built the entry recessed about 65 feet, but it is not long enough to pull through, stop, and close the gate behind me. I have to wait until traffic is clear and pull onto the highway to close the gate. It just barely fit for my previous 5th wheel.

I don't think the OP was asking for anyone's approval, just wanting to hear other's experience in towing over length.
OP, we're overlength with just about anything hooked to the hitch! Scotty, electric gate actuator with automatic exit & time delay closing .... problem solved
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #34

We are 80ft and have many many miles. I actually got pulled over in Ca for speeding. We never talked length. Just got my ticket and away I went
Old 05-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
OP, we're overlength with just about anything hooked to the hitch! Scotty, electric gate actuator with automatic exit & time delay closing .... problem solved
I already have one, but I have to make a left turn out of my driveway onto a state highway. If I pull through the gate and have to stop for traffic, the gate may time out and begin to close before I can pull out. For this reason, I stop the gate in the open position, then press the button on the controller when I pull out. I just have to manage holding the controller out the driver's side window and press the button, and looking back to confirm it closes, as I pull out. If it fails to close, it is a couple hundred yards down the road before I can pull over to walk back to close it.

Before, I was able to pull all the way through, and it didn't matter if the gate closed automatically. In fact, I always waited until it closed before heading out on our journey. My previous rig was only 61'.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldBear View Post
I ABSOLUTELY assure you both that I am NOT looking for any "APPROVALS" here.
I was only looking for individuals histories to know the score of what I would have been getting into.
Haha, in our country opinions come from all sides without asking for them. It's pretty funny how an easy question turns into legalities, morals, and life and death.

Relax and move onto another thread that asks for your opinion. The OP was very clear on what he was asking and who he was asking.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Attachment 94340

It works for me!
Please tell me you don't really do that and get away with it......
Old 05-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I tow at 74'. I have considered going 4' longer so I can carry both rock crawlers. The reason I have not is weight, not length. My tag axle RV has a tow rating of 10,000 pounds. I currently am at 9,800. If I go the additional length and vehicle, I would easily top out over 15,000 pounds. I do not feel the RV will carry the weight, as already slow. Just something else to think about!
Old 05-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
I tow at 74'. I have considered going 4' longer so I can carry both rock crawlers. The reason I have not is weight, not length. My tag axle RV has a tow rating of 10,000 pounds. I currently am at 9,800. If I go the additional length and vehicle, I would easily top out over 15,000 pounds. I do not feel the RV will carry the weight, as already slow. Just something else to think about!
When I wanted to go to an enclosed trailer, I had the same problem. I checked with the Powerglide manager and was told the rating was due to the hitch limitations. The chassis was capable of safely handling the 15,000# receiver which they were installing on the new models. I installed one and now tow my rock crawler and RZR or Trike in a 26' Aluminum trailer. Total wt is 12,400#. I also use a weight distributing hitch for the 1500# tongue weight. It handles and pulls like a dream.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I already have one, but I have to make a left turn out of my driveway onto a state highway. If I pull through the gate and have to stop for traffic, the gate may time out and begin to close before I can pull out. For this reason, I stop the gate in the open position, then press the button on the controller when I pull out. I just have to manage holding the controller out the driver's side window and press the button, and looking back to confirm it closes, as I pull out. If it fails to close, it is a couple hundred yards down the road before I can pull over to walk back to close it.

Before, I was able to pull all the way through, and it didn't matter if the gate closed automatically. In fact, I always waited until it closed before heading out on our journey. My previous rig was only 61'.

Scottybdivin, I should have been more specific in my original reply. Living in the Hill Country, I can certainly relate to the increasing traffic concerns that you describe! However, there are a couple of products that will make your life much easier with less stress. First is a photocell system that will not allow the gate to close while the beam is interrupted, the second, more sophisticated option, is a sensing probe wired to open or close the gate after the vehicle passes. We use both systems here on different gates as our property borders a small one lane county road on one side and a major 4 lane hwy on the other. With these systems in place it's simple to check that the gate is closing/closed as we exit.

On the gate used for the MH/trailer/toad combo, which is always over 70' minimum, we utilized 2 sensors to create an automatic "approach" and "departure" zone. "Approach" is wired to open the gate (house side) while "departure" is placed to close after the vehicle has cleared the opening. This setup works regardless of the length of vehicle, or how long you wait on traffic, because the gate will not close until the vehicle passes the "departure" sensor. A remote is used to "open" upon returning to the property as the sensor nearest the road is set to "close" the gate.

We use Liftmaster (link below) products primarily because of the quality, reliability, and available service. Hope you or others with a similar situation find this helpful.

-David

https://www.liftmaster.com/
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Scottybdivin, I should have been more specific in my original reply. Living in the Hill Country, I can certainly relate to the increasing traffic concerns that you describe! However, there are a couple of products that will make your life much easier with less stress. First is a photocell system that will not allow the gate to close while the beam is interrupted, the second, more sophisticated option, is a sensing probe wired to open or close the gate after the vehicle passes. We use both systems here on different gates as our property borders a small one lane county road on one side and a major 4 lane hwy on the other. With these systems in place it's simple to check that the gate is closing/closed as we exit.

On the gate used for the MH/trailer/toad combo, which is always over 70' minimum, we utilized 2 sensors to create an automatic "approach" and "departure" zone. "Approach" is wired to open the gate (house side) while "departure" is placed to close after the vehicle has cleared the opening. This setup works regardless of the length of vehicle, or how long you wait on traffic, because the gate will not close until the vehicle passes the "departure" sensor. A remote is used to "open" upon returning to the property as the sensor nearest the road is set to "close" the gate.

We use Liftmaster (link below) products primarily because of the quality, reliability, and available service. Hope you or others with a similar situation find this helpful.

-David

https://www.liftmaster.com/
That sounds like a really nice system. Ours is 15 years old and pretty basic in function. It has a magnetic sensor to open upon approach from the inside, but it is also on a timer. There is no sensor to prevent entrapment. Thanks for the link. It has given me some ideas. I'll be contacting them about compatibility.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #42

Several have stated that an insurance company could or might deny coverage if the motor home/trailer combo was over length. I wasn't sure so I called our ins company. I found that coverage can not be denied for being over length unless a maximum length is specifically listed in the policy. It's not an insurance issue, but a state issue and a separate citation could be issued. I have only had two different companies in the last 20 years and neither one states a max length allowed. I suspect that very few if any MH policies will refer to length as a cause for denial. If you think about it, you are not denied when speeding, failing to yield right of way, or any other moving violation. Why, then, would you be denied for being over length, especially when a business can get a permit to do so?? It's not a safety issue as much as a revenue opportunity for the state.