Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
My wife and I have been looking at new and newer MHs for a possible upgrade of our DP. They are all really nice with some being nicer. We have owned two MHs along with one TT and they have all had a north/south bed, which we prefer.

In our looking it appears that 99% of newer MHs have the east/west bed. This arrangement seems awkward with the step up at the far side of the bed. It also eliminates night stands large enough to lay a book on or a glass of water.

To us it makes more sense to put the wardrobes in the slides and the bed north/south. We realize that an east/west bed gives you more space at the foot of the bed.

We must be a small minority of RVers that don't want a vanity or extra sink in our bedroom. We like having large nightstands with a good flat surface and drawers.

So why don't they (all the manufatures) make more DP's with north/south beds?

Paul & Sandy

Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #2

My wife and I have been looking at new and newer MHs for a possible upgrade of our DP. They are all really nice with some being nicer. We have owned two MHs along with one TT and they have all had a north/south bed, which we prefer.

In our looking it appears that 99% of newer MHs have the east/west bed. This arrangement seems awkward with the step up at the far side of the bed. It also eliminates night stands large enough to lay a book on or a glass of water.

To us it makes more sense to put the wardrobes in the slides and the bed north/south. We realize that an east/west bed gives you more space at the foot of the bed.

We must be a small minority of RVers that don't want a vanity or extra sink in our bedroom. We like having large nightstands with a good flat surface and drawers.

So why don't they (all the manufatures) make more DP's with north/south beds?

Paul & Sandy

Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
We felt the same way about the placement of the bed. Just didn't care for the east/west set up. That was one of our reasons, among many, that our final decision was a new Itasca Meridian 36. The coach meets all of our requirements, and then some. Mike
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Gman we agree with you. Recently shopping for new coach and you are right. Many of the new models have the east/west bed arrangement. Just don't feel right. Wife hates the sliding mirror/doors found on the rear of many of the coaches.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
IMHO, there is not enough demand for a north/south bed, and the east/west bed allows for more central floor space.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dirk is correct, the manufacturers make what sells best, if the demand for north/south beds was greater then the demand for east/west beds you would see it on the lots and show rooms of dealers. They are in the business of making what the most people want. That doesn't mean your taste for a north/south bed is bad, it just means it's different than the majority of prospective motorhome owners. But what goes around, comes around. The advent of slides made the east/west bed a possibility and that makes it a fairly "new" innovation and different from the north/south bed that was the only option before slides. Recently we have seen some new floorplans with slideouts that contain closets and wardrobes instead of beds and the bed is in the north/south configuration. Being that this is "different" than most of the current bedrooms with slides I won't be surprised to see this become the next thing to be what people want the most. Then your tastes in bedroom floorplans won't be "different", they'll be "cutting edge"!
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #7

I've never thought of myself as "cutting edge" but it's something I can now claim to my friends

RV manufacturers must conduct study groups on new designs, as most industries do, but I still can't believe that an east/west bed arrangement is so overwelmingly popular.

Mike, we also like the Journey/Meridian 36' design (37' for '08). It is much like our '00 Ultimate Advantage 36C but with ours your bathroom area is so well arranged it is like a dressing room too.

I think there are more people out there that prefer the north/south setup than the manufactures realize. IMO

Paul
Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...don't want a vanity or extra sink in our bedroom. We like having large nightstands with a good flat surface and drawers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
An east/west bed does not automatically "eliminate night stands large enough to lay a book on or a glass of water." It just depends on the mfg and what they do with the floor plan. I agree that too many make the slide wide enough only for the mattress w/o side stand space ...but all are not that way.

We (the wife!) generally liked most east/west bed arrangements we looked at better than north/south, but we were clear that we would not accept an east/west arrangement without night stands/elbow room on both sides of the bed. Our east/west floor plan has adequate stands on both sides, with a drawer on her side and bed to ceiling chest/cupboard on my side. There is no sink/vanity in the bedroom, although there is a small 3-drawer chest on the wall at the foot of the bed in the corner under the TV. You just have to look until you find the right arrangement for you!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
what i donmt like about my MH is the head of the bed is by the window and when you sit in bed you dont smash the shades
Sal Avitabile
Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #10

Sal, that's a consideration I hadn't thought about. If the window at the head of the bed is low then stacking your pillows up to prop yourself up in be could squish the shades.

Good point.

Paul
Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we looked at MH's at the show we liked the E/W set up better because we were looking at shorter MH's. Now that we have almost a year in the MH we like the extra room with the bed that way and our "nightstands" are beg enough to hold a magazine is we need it to. We liked the dressing area also. The only thing we dont like is the short queen matress.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:29 AM   #12
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sal avitabile:
what i donmt like about my MH is the head of the bed is by the window and when you sit in bed you dont smash the shades
Sal Avitabile </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
One of the things we looked for when buying our motor home was separate windows at the sides of the slide instead of one big window at the head of the bed. Not only don't we smash the shades, but my wife and I can open our own window (or not) the amount we like.

Our bed is east/west and we like the room this arrangement gives us. But then, we have a gasser and we don't have to live with the step over the engine that the diesel pushers all seem to have.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:36 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Iam thinking of getting a piece of plywood and making a padded headboard that can be removed in a hurry because the window is a safety exit,so i can sit up in bed.
Sal Avitabile
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #14

See, we are all different. We liked the N/S arrangement better because with kids, we wanted them (and us) to be able to walk around the bed while traveling and wanted access to all of the cabinets. We also have a full queen rather than a short which is nicer since I am a little over 6' tall and our home bed is a Cal-King.