Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question MH check out at shop

HI, I'm going to be looking at a MH this weekend. Class A diesel, 71,000 mi. I want to take it to a shop and have it checked out. What do you think is a ball park cost for that? I am guessing $200-$300.
Any recommendations on service center in Fresno?

sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, is it a chassis check-out or an RV "house' check-out. Rare is it that one shop can do both and you need both to assure that everything is in tip top shape. I'd say 3-4 hours minimum to check the "house" and 1-2 hours for the chassis. More for each if you want a more thorough job.

I don't know what the hourly shop rate is in the Fresno area, but around here I would expect to pay at least $100/hour for the technicians time.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
Good luck in Fresno...

What make, year and model?

We are from that area, and our coach had some work done by P.E. place south of town according to paperwork left by previous owners.

Based on the work done and the price they charge I would not let them install a light bulb.

There is a company in Visalia that does this, they advertise on KMJ, cannot remember their name though.

Fresno rate at PE is $110 or so per hour.

I would suggest the current owner provide service records to see how the unit has been maintained.

If it has not been serviced in 3000 miles or 6 months then request it gets a full chassis service and inspection, work out the price as part of the deal, it will need to be done anyway and the service usually includes full safety inspection, the shop wants to look for things to sell you so they should look it over real well.

Verify condition and age of each tire and battery.

Query tire age here and online to insure you understand this and how to read the date codes yourself.

If batteries are 2 years old suggest replacement or discount, 8D batteries are not cheap, about $160.00 each, Jorgensen has best price on RV batteries.

For the inside it is much like looking at a new home, check all fixtures, plugs and appliances.

Have the owner charge the water system via the pump, do this first, after you test all of the fixtures turn off the pump and do not touch a faucet.

Continue looking into every hole and cabinet looking for sagging doors, stains and other details, check inside every door outside as well.

Get on the roof and look around, if older unit with sealant around the vents and the sealant looks cracked or tired suggest they be sealed with eternabond, $100.00 a roll. Proper installation includes scraping off old stuff, adding a new bead of sealer along the edges to make smother joint and then applying the new tape, a couple hours of work plus materials, so discount $500.00 from price and do it yourself, or insist it be done by pro and price stay same or discount anyway.

After an hour or 2, longer is better try a faucet again, the coach should have a accumilator or pressure tank so you should have the same pressure as when the pump was on. If it is very weak you may have a leak or bad check valve.

Look at the water pipes, if gray they could be PB, not good.

You could get an inspection camera from Harbor Freight and look behind the sink and under things, look for damage.

Also confirm the manuals and documentation, there should be chassis and house manuals as well as manuals for each device in the coach.

Good luck.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
You may want to take it to a Coach-Care center that does chassis & house work (not all of them do). Definitely want to get an oil analysis, trans fluid analysis and check the cooling fluid. Personally I think you'd be lucky to get away with just $2-300 IF they are going to do a thorough check out of all systems & fluids. Then again, I'm used to the horrible labor rates in California for a lot of our service. For example, the shops in the Riverside area charge $120/hr for Motorhome work.
2011 Airstream Classic Limited
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Cary I have had work done at AAA Rv.Give Mike a call. They are located just off 99 in the old location of Freedom Rv also near Brooks Ranch restraunt, across from freeway form where Dan Gamble was located. If coach in on a Freightliner they also are located there.Give Richard a call after 3 pm (swing shift) they have a service plan B that is flat rated plus parts and fluids if needed. Iwas there last week cost was $200 range do not have paper work in front of me for exact $$$. If u go to AAA ask Mike about my gate.

Joe Ka6bud
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If it has a Cummins motor then take into a Cummins dealer that has a chassis dyno and have them put the whole MH on it and test it. It will also test the Allison transmission. I have had it done and it is great. On my last purchase I had a Detroit Diesel so I took it into W.W. Williams which is a nation wide Detroit Diesel/Allison garage and they used special Allison software that checked out the clutches in the transmission then they checked the motor. That was $200 but it was well worth it.

Mike Canter
"Gunner" USN Retired, Airdale
2004 Monaco Signature 44' Conquest. Detroit 60
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote