Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MH cover or not

I live in Fresno California where the summers are over 100 degrees from June through August, and warm in May and September and nice the rest of the year.

Should I get a cover for my 2005 Winnebago Voyage? The paint and colors are nice but it seems like it would be a hassle taking it off and putting it on each month as we try to go out one weekend each month.
JamesnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnJulie View Post
I live in Fresno California where the summers are over 100 degrees from June through August, and warm in May and September and nice the rest of the year.

Should I get a cover for my 2005 Winnebago Voyage? The paint and colors are nice but it seems like it would be a hassle taking it off and putting it on each month as we try to go out one weekend each month.
You are right, it is a hassle. I used covers for years and finally decided to give up on them. I would not even want to attempt to cover and uncover this 35 foot coach, others I had were only 30 feet and it was a pain. It is true that the covers can protect the paint, etc. but they can also tear and will rub corners and mess up the paint on the coach if not secured properly because they get filthy and act as sand paper.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you. It's how I felt but wanted to do what is best.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We cover the RV. Sun and UV damage will hurt your RV faster than anything else in storage. Paint can be waxed, but a rubber roof, plastic bits, and the seals on every opening, vent and such are exposed too...

And, don't forget to cover the tires too. The outer sidewalls of our last set of tires had the only visible damage...all interior tire surfaces looked great.

Covered storage is best...of course.
And, covering the RV IS extra work...but for us (keeping the RV longer than others - maybe) it is a no-brainer to protect our investment.

See:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...ml#post1309930
and
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1681530

Don't cover the RV when it is dirty from a trip. Wash the RV to keep the inside of the cover clean and to save the cover to RV body contact from wear marks.

On removal we fold the cover on the roof like big burrito...makes install easier and being folded, storage it much better..

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you
Old 11-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnJulie View Post
Thank you. It's how I felt but wanted to do what is best.
I use Wash Wax All that supposedly has UV protection and it does a great job cleaning the coach as well. I also use 303 for all my rubber and plastic goodies like A/C units, etc. Besides putting on a cover, you can do other things that help protect parts from sun damage. I do not have the rubber roof so that is not a concern for me but I do cover my tires as well as put 303 on them too. Like I said, I used to cover but not anymore.