Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

MH damage to Paver driveways ??

We plan to pick up our 17 Newmar DS 4369 for the first time next week and bring it back to our town. We will not store it at our house, but plan to load/unload it for trips here.

Our paver driveway is 12 yrs old, and in perfect condition, and want it to stay this way. Has anyone had experience with damaging pavers due to the weight of a large rig?

If so,we will just pull it to the curb instead of backing it in the driveway.

Thanks!
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #2

I'd not put jacks down on a paver driveway. You can put something under them like plywood etc that will help spread the weight.

Harry
Old 09-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

If the driveway was properly constructed, there should be no damage. Many campgrounds have roadways constructed using pavers as well as some of the sites we have been on were pavers.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

So much depends on the way the sub-structure of the drive was constructed , it'd be impossible to say .
While a MH on the tires"MIGHT NOT "cause problems , I certainly wouldn't use the levelers.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will soon be living at a new home with a paver driveway and I'm concerned. A current neighbor cracked his concrete drive with his 40' DP with his jacks. My plan is use 3 foot 2x10 planks under each jack, when my much lighter gasser is home. If I was in your position I would contact a couple of businesses that install pavers and get their opinion, ask if they have done related repair.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Community Administrator

MH damage to Paver driveways ??

I had a roof replaced and they put a dump truck loaded with Spanish tile on mine. The driveway was covered with plywood and there wasn't any damage.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #7

Brockx you have it just right with the 3 foot 2x10 planks, they will work great. Taking a chance putting down jacks without them on your driveway is just silly. Why take the chance when something so simple is available?

You can even get way fancy and attached rope to each one.

Harry
Old 09-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
as stated though, it all depends on the substructure UNDER the pavers...

if it's anew house you can look at the plans or ask the builder... but imho, until I was assured it would be ok by the builder, I would expect to pay for repairs as the only way to KNOW it's not will be too late!

you are talking something that weighs 5 to 6 times what the driveway was designed for....
Old 09-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Brockx you have it just right with the 3 foot 2x10 planks, they will work great. Taking a chance putting down jacks without them on your driveway is just silly. Why take the chance when something so simple is available?

You can even get way fancy and attached rope to each one.

Harry
++ I measured my smallest storage hatch. The door was 8" wide and the bin was 18" long. I went to a lumber yard and got a 10' 2x8 and asked them to cut it into 17" lengths. I got seven of them. They go everywhere with me. Saves soft tarmac and thin concrete. Easy on pavers. Truly indispensable when a rear wheel sinks into "sugar sand" and I need to put them under the jacks, lift the wheel out of the hole and put them under the tires to drive out. Don't get pressure treated. That is made of lousy wood. Get a decent pine board.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #10

We designed our front paver driveway for motorhome use.
It requires a minimum of 8" of base usually recycled concrete which is very strong before sand and pavers.
We use our levelers for weeks at a time with no issues
Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #11

The subsurface is important and so is the size of the compactor that rolled over the asphalt.

I have an older asphalt drive.
My tires have left indentations from sunlight exposure on hot days (only on the south side). And I'm light at 14,000 lbs. Even with the jack down sitting on rubber cushions.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would load at the curb...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:54 AM   #13

I am going though right now unfortunately, I contacted a company to add onto my paver driveway to the pad I had poured for my RV. I discussed that I will be pulling a 30,000 lb RV on it and they said no problem. Well we do have problems - they didn't use the correct base and after a few months I am seeing ruts going up to the pad. Trying to get the contractor back out here to fix it. I may have to go to court....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
The subsurface is important and so is the size of the compactor that rolled over the asphalt.

I have an older asphalt drive.
My tires have left indentations from sunlight exposure on hot days (only on the south side). And I'm light at 14,000 lbs. Even with the jack down sitting on rubber cushions.
Asphalt is not quite the same animal as concrete pavers. Pavers are not susceptible to high temps and are normally set with a hand operated compactor.

Pavers are not the same as concrete. Concrete is rigid and subject to cracking from a myriad of different causes. Pavers on the other hand typically only cover a small area and are flexible due to the joints between the pavers.

Anyway, if the substrate has been properly prepared, as noted, the motorhome should have no impact on the pavers. Putting protection under the jacks is a requisite. It not only helps distribute the loads, but protects the surface of the pavers from abrasion.