Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #1

MH Insurance premiums questions

I've never owned a MH before; I've owned a couple of 5vers and a TT so premiums for those were/are cheap really but then here comes my surprise, I am currenly eyeing getting a Thor Outlaw and so I checked progressive for a quote so I tried to use the same numbers as I would on my vehicle and got a quote for $550/month (the premium is over $5k/year)

If I go with the bare minimum it was still $450/month

If I choose to get full timers policy its just under $410/month

^^^ All 3 options include TLR (Total Loss Replacement) so I'm assuming this is the most expensive part.

They have another option that is $90/month but doesn't have comprehensive/collision which is required when financing so the only other option is Actual Cash Value type replacement for the policy which is $382/month

does all that sound right for owning a newer Class A? Progressive isn't exactly the cheapest insurance company either; but c'mon seriously $400/month just insure a living space that has a motor that moves? I get that its expensive to replace that's what GAP insurance is for separate from all the other insurance requirements (I know GAP is optional, which progressive does not offer but if I'm going to get total loss replacement then I don't need GAP)

oh and I forgot deductibles play a huge role in how much premium is going to be; what does everybody have for deductibles? I tried $250 vs $1000 and $5k deductibles and being at $5k deductible for comp and collision (EACH) brings me down to a very managable $270/month but I'd rather look for another insurance company cuz I'd rather get GAP through a separate underwriter (its cheaper that way IMO).
mrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
mrgs...... I know nothing of you or your history, but every premium you've mentioned is, at first blush, simply outrageous. We are Fulltimers and have good thorough coverage for about $1K annually.

Suggest you check with several other companies.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #3

Since it appears you're in Oregon, check with Miller in Lake Oswego ...Clackamas County (although Miller does business with RVers in just about all states).

They specialize in RV insurance and can give you advice and answer your questions pertaining to being full-time. The advantage of using a broker such as Miller is that they can do some "shopping" for you to compare rates. You are not being charged when using an independent agent as they are being paid by the carrier when the policy is written.

Miller Insurance Agency

Another agency that we currently use is Destination in Misssoula. They are a small agency but, again, are licensed in the majority of the states. They are very small and will give good personal service. Talk to Lexi if you decide to call. They too can give you advice on full-time coverage and will shop several carriers for you.

Destination Services - Motorhome Insurance

I agree with you and JFXG. There's no way I'd want to be paying $400+ a month for insurance.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:30 AM   #4

yeah I thought $400-$500/month is pretty steep; although I wonder if its also my age (late 30s)

I figured I'd get insurance for $200/month I could live with that and my rates have dropped for my truck for the next policy cycle.

Theroc gave me a couple of links/brokers to contact to get rates for me; I tried to include my truck so I could get it to be cheaper combined but so far that has actually made it more costlier so instead of say $500 for both vehicles (still too high) it was starting to be $650 with both vehicles so I knew I couldn't save there.

I have a couple of minor dings but they are dings that do affect my rates too; had two fender benders one year apart each but my insurance has declared I was at fault for both of them.

Thanks all for replying to confirm what I thought was outrageous
Old 01-19-2017, 04:29 AM   #5

Wow, just for a point of reference I am paying $82 per month for full coverage including towing insurance on my 15 year old class A and it was not the cheapest option.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

I had always heard that you save significant money with a higher deductible. Recently my insurance company went online and I could play with the numbers myself. This was a major learning experience. We have a 2013 CRV and the difference in $1000 deductible to $100(comp) and $250(collision) was all of $20/month. I was very surprised. Maybe things have changed since I heard that a higher deductible saved significant money.

Regarding the policy, I agree, go to a broker andlet them do the shopping for you. So much depends on the state you live in.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:53 AM   #7

You might try Foremost and also National General. Rates close to $1k/year for us. At 60 plus, I chose to decline the coverage on partial baldness.....
Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

Wow, outrageous is an understatement. Again, as others indicated don't know your history and claims experience. It matters.
I am in FL (one of the higher insurance rate states) and I have a total loss replacement value policy w/ $1k deductible and it is $1082 for the year. Also have high liability but the incremental cost on that is minimal.
A look by RV insurance and well, read and weep:
"Lowest RV Insurance Rates By State:
The state of North Carolina has the lowest overall motor home and RV insurance rates with a median premium of $870 per year and $72.50 per month. Oregon is the second lowest RV Insurance coverage and Massachusetts ranks 3rd with an RV insurance cost of $1,098 per year ($91.50 per month). Insurance rates in Massachusetts’s rates are so low because there is so much competition among agencies, and just to compete, agencies reduce rates to attract new clients. When there is a surplus of anything in the world, competition goes up and prices go down."
Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #9

A new mh is much more expensive to insure than an older (more than 6 yrs old) one. Also dings on your driving record - speeding tickets, at-fault accidents - will also increase the cost dramatically. I found this out from personal experience. However, paying $400+/mo is outrageous. Keep looking and try a couple of the rv-friendly insurers, including GoodSam Insurance. At least they can provide a good base from which to compare others. Good luck!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Wow, just for a point of reference I am paying $82 per month for full coverage including towing insurance on my 15 year old class A and it was not the cheapest option.
older it is the cheaper its going to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
You might try Foremost and also National General. Rates close to $1k/year for us. At 60 plus, I chose to decline the coverage on partial baldness.....
Tried General; they don't actually insure MHs; you get referred to progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
A new mh is much more expensive to insure than an older (more than 6 yrs old) one. Also dings on your driving record - speeding tickets, at-fault accidents - will also increase the cost dramatically. I found this out from personal experience. However, paying $400+/mo is outrageous. Keep looking and try a couple of the rv-friendly insurers, including GoodSam Insurance. At least they can provide a good base from which to compare others. Good luck!
I agree a new MH is a lot more expensive to insure; driving history, age, creditworthiness, etc all play factors in that. What's crazy is my insurance premium for my truck has gone down even after two recent fender benders yet everybody wants to charge high premiums for the RV and haven't had any tickets in the last 10 years.

Progressive is a pretty expensive insurance company, I can't seem to get quotes from anyone else online.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:54 PM   #11

mrgs, in my experience, it's much better to call on the phone to get quotes rather than try to do it online.

When you call, they can usually give you a quote immediately and then follow that up with an email that will give the details.

Again, this is especially true if you use an independent agent such as the two I mentioned in my previous post. Call them on the phone. You are under no obligation to use them once they give you a quote ...or quotes in the case of using an independent agent.

BTW, National General is a prominent carrier insuring RVs. It's the old "GMAC" RV insurance and is who you'd be insured with if going through the Good Sam Insurance Agency. It's not to be confused with "The General Car Insurance" with the little General cartoon character in the TV commercials. That's a different company altogether.

to add: For example, I know if you called Destination in Missoula, they could give you a quotes for National General, Progressive, Blue Sky, and several others (I currently use Destination so I know they do business with at least those carriers). I believe that will be the same with Miller in Lake Oswego too although I haven't used them for quite a few years.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I had always heard that you save significant money with a higher deductible. Recently my insurance company went online and I could play with the numbers myself. This was a major learning experience. We have a 2013 CRV and the difference in $1000 deductible to $100(comp) and $250(collision) was all of $20/month. I was very surprised. Maybe things have changed since I heard that a higher deductible saved significant money.

Regarding the policy, I agree, go to a broker andlet them do the shopping for you. So much depends on the state you live in.
I suppose significant savings is relative. What percent of your monthly premium is that $20? If your premium was $60/mo and it dropped to $40 by changing deductible, those people feel that was a significant savings.

If you select the lower deductible, you spend $240 more per year. If you have no claims, you have spent $240 more than you needed to spend. If you have a comprehensive or collision claim that year, the lower deductible means you are out of pocket $900 or $750 less, respectively.

If you think you are apt to have claims, especially multiple claims, the low deductibles make sense. Of course, the insurance company will detect you as high claim risk, and your premiums are apt to rise. If on the other hand, you believe you will very likely not have a claim and can afford the higher deductible in the unlikely event a claim occurs, keeping the $240 in pocket makes sense.

Not having made an auto claim for on my own policy for over 20 years, I tend to accept higher deductibles. Though expressing it as $20 a month makes it sound low, $20 per month for 20 years is $4800. It is not that $20 a month is a huge savings, it is that a such amounts on auto, home and motorhome over the course of years adds up to significant savings....if you have no (or very,very rate) claims. The folks who said higher deductibles yield significant savings may be looking at matters from this perspective.

No right or wrong answer, just differing perspectives.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #13

$550.00 a month is the craziest thing I've heard unless you have a several million dollar coach. Everyone is different due to credit history,age,and driving record. Mines $137.00 for 500,000.00
Old 01-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
older it is the cheaper its going to be

Tried General; they don't actually insure MHs; you get referred to progressive

I agree a new MH is a lot more expensive to insure; driving history, age, creditworthiness, etc all play factors in that. What's crazy is my insurance premium for my truck has gone down even after two recent fender benders yet everybody wants to charge high premiums for the RV and haven't had any tickets in the last 10 years.

Progressive is a pretty expensive insurance company, I can't seem to get quotes from anyone else online.
For Progressive, I am getting better rates from an agent than I am seeing on line from Progressive website. Part of the on-hold phone experience even says rates differ depending how one buys. So, you might find it worthwhile to call an agent, both for Progressive rates and to find other companies.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance