Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Regarding coaches that are very near capacity when dry, my experience has been they were very nearly always gas. One of the DP's virtues is being built heavy enough to handle what people want to carry with them - and then some. That's also why they seem to handle stopping a little better... my opinion.

Nope. My 05 Country Coach Inspire was 300# under the gross weight on the back axle the day we bought it-before we loaded it. My goal was to add a lift or a trailer so I could take a car & the Harley. After it was loaded I did the 4 corner weigh in Livingston with full fresh water/fuel & propane it was almost 1900# over on the back axle with no lift or trailer. I think tile/corian and the additions of slides caught the mfg off guard. I traded it for a coach with a tag.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #30

Numbers like that might make one wonder what the CCC rating was on the Country Coach? Thinking somebody might have some explaining to do.

In any case, I believe that would be an unusual situation.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Numbers like that might make one wonder what the CCC rating was on the Country Coach? Thinking somebody might have some explaining to do.

In any case, I believe that would be an unusual situation.

Back in the early 2000s as slides outs were being added, there were many coaches built with little to no CCC. This happened with some highly respected coach builders.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Last year at LD I saw a used hi-$$ rig(can't remember, Prevost or Newell) with a C.C.C. of 1229#. All that marble and mirrors and chrome weigh a lot! I would bet most coaches are carrying a good bit more than 1229#. And that does not consider weight and balance for each axle. Many newer 40' rigs are near their weight limit on the drive axle, while many newer 42-45' tag axle rigs are near their weight limit on the steer axle(or overweight)! Read the forums, and buyer beware.
This post is the basis for the OP. I've read here and there about coaches being at or over their weight rating and don't need to get myself into that kind of a problem.

As my search progresses, looks like I'm going to want to stick with a max of 40', and a tag isn't a need if my budget stays where it is.

The new bit of information I've learned is CCC; didn't know that existed.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #33

I have a 1990 Bluebird 40' tag. When full of fuel, 300 gal, fresh water, 140 gal, and fully loaded with food and our clothes, ready to hit the road, I am 3000# UNDER vehicle gross rating. Nice!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
This post is the basis for the OP. I've read here and there about coaches being at or over their weight rating and don't need to get myself into that kind of a problem.

As my search progresses, looks like I'm going to want to stick with a max of 40', and a tag isn't a need if my budget stays where it is.

The new bit of information I've learned is CCC; didn't know that existed.
You've probably heard it before, but the ability of a tag to carry more weight is just part of it's benefit. You are able to transfer weight to or from the front or drive axles, but the ride and stability in cross winds or when being passed by a semi is something no 40' single axle coach can equal. We are in our first tag coach and will never go back to a single.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
You've probably heard it before, but the ability of a tag to carry more weight is just part of it's benefit. You are able to transfer weight to or from the front or drive axles, but the ride and stability in cross winds or when being passed by a semi is something no 40' single axle coach can equal. We are in our first tag coach and will never go back to a single.
For all of these reasons I only looked at tag coaches. I was fortunate to find a 37' tag coach (Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay Floorplan). Shorter length to get into campgrounds.

Dry 34,500, GVWR 45,000, CCC 10,500, loaded 39,000. GCWR 55,000.

The tag holds about 9,000 when loaded.

This is my MH math.....

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
The brochure shows a 14,600 front axle, 20,000 rear, and 10,000 tag.

Gross vehicle is 44,600 and combined is 54,600.

If 14,600 + 20,000 = 34,600 what does that number represent?
That sounds like a pre 2015 Freightliner chassis (not much experience here). Our coach has had the front GAWR raised to 15,600.

Some manufacturers have recognized the axle loading issues and moved some of the heavier items to better balance the weights. As I understand it our water tank was moved towards the rear.

With full fuel, water, etc we are at 12,323 on the front axle (15,600), and 24,153 on the drive and tag (30,000). Our drive and tag are split 18,612 and 8712.