Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

MH math...how much does it WEIGH??

The brochure shows a 14,600 front axle, 20,000 rear, and 10,000 tag.

Gross vehicle is 44,600 and combined is 54,600.

Here's my question: IF the vehicle (dry, unloaded) weighs 44,600, then the 400HP engine isn't enough power to get it up the hill.

How do axle weights figure into what the dry weight actually is?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

Here's my question: IF the vehicle (dry, unloaded) weighs 44,600, then the 400HP engine isn't enough power to get it up the hill.

it doesn't... dry weight is just what it weighs empty...

axel gross weight is the most it can weigh after you load it

next... hp doesn't get you up the hill... torque does...400hp diesel might have over 1000 fpt
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #3

How does one learn dry weight for a coach? Seems that we want to know that; compare to carrying capacity, so we know how much stuff and fluids we can safely carry.

How to get that info?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

My coach has the exact axle weights you list. Loaded for a 2 month trip, with full fuel and about 1/2 tank of water, I weighed just under 38,000 lbs.
My towed weighs 2800 lbs, so loads of room there as well !
Old 08-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Most coaches have a build sheet/sticker somewhere that outlines GVWR, CCC, GCWR etc.

Mine in the Country Coach is on the backside of the vanity mirror door.

On my 5th wheels, there was a sticker on the edge of the door that outlined dry weights.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

What does CCC stand for?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) Works - HowStuffWorks
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
What does CCC stand for?
Cargo Carrying Capacity?
Old 08-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Quote:
How does one learn dry weight for a coach? Seems that we want to know that; compare to carrying capacity, so we know how much stuff and fluids we can safely carry.

How to get that info?
bamaboy473,
Well Sir, first things first. You know what the weight limits of each axle are, you stated that earlier, what you don't know is, JUST HOW MUCH YOUR COACH ACTUALLY WEIGHS!

What you need to do is, don't screw around with 1/2 or, empty tank of fresh water and or 1/2 tank of fuel and 1/2 tank of propane. Go out and fill all those up. Then, load the coach as you would for a decent trip, as in a month or so. Load it with all you'll think you'll want and or need.

THEN GO WEIGH IT! And, most CAT or any other certified scales will be extremely accurate on what each axle weights are and, a combined weight.

Now, once you've done that, then compare it to what the limits are on your axles, from the factory. And, don't worry too much about the "four corner" thing. Just get the coach weighed so you have something to compare to your factory limits.

Once you've got it weighed, you'll then know if you're under, over, near, or ?? of your axle weight limits and, can either load more, (if you desire or,) you may have to off-load some to bring them down to the maximum limits.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #10

Good points, Fire. While I'm enjoying the hunt for our next coach, I occasionally hear about coaches being very close to max; even dry.

If that's correct, then that's the basis for my question. I don't plan to haul my pet rock collection, but wouldn't want to get into one that was quite limiting. ....or did I hear wrong?
Old 08-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My label gives the "empty weight" as well as gross vehicle weight. Empty weight includes fuel and fluids, but no water in my case. But the best thing to do, as mentioned, is to get an actual weight. Water weighs about 8#/gal, fuel about 6. So depending on the tank levels when you weigh, you can get a pretty good idea on how much you have left for soda, popcorn, people and dogs. From my measurements, I have never been within 2000# of gross weight maximum and that is with nearly all tanks full, which is hard to do (rarely are the waste tanks and water tank full at the same time). My toad is nowhere close to the combined - gross, so if I ever did did close, I could offload a dog or two the the jeep (OK I'm kidding, I meant hot dogs)
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Weight Stickers For a 2002 Country Coach Affinity

Quote:
These two stickers are going to provide all of the weight specifications available for your coach. Granted, brochures usually do not go into this level of detail. Tires are another matter and their weight carrying capacity is published by the manufacturer but easily obtained online.

To get beyond this, the coach will have to be weighed on a scale. You can then figure out how the load is distributed and how the actual axle weights compare to the specs.

The first sticker is the one usually found in the medicine cabinet or closet. The second one is usually found on the wall next to the driver's seat not far off the floor.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rick....In recent years, the government started making the manufacturer give the gross weight and the cargo carrying weight (CCC). This made it much easier for everyone to recognize a coach that had limited carrying ability. Because mine has a tag on a short coach, you would almost have to fill my storage bays with lead bars to overload it.

In older coaches, you need to do a little homework to determine if they had enough carrying capacity. You're smart to be asking this question and getting an understanding of how it works. There were some coaches that had less than 1000 pounds of CCC. This would pretty much put you at the limit once you loaded the coach up with food, supplies and storage bay items. There was a point where manufacturers were introducing coaches from 40' - 42' on a single axle and really pushing the limits of what the coach could carry. Many of those coaches came with a 20K rear axle, severely limiting them. They finally bumped that to 22K, the new max on an RV rear axle.

As you get your search narrowed down, come back here and get opinions on your selection(s).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Something to consider and keep an eye on is the options. Many of the information tags are generic, that is they do not consider options added that are not part of a standard coach or trailer.

While CCC will give you an overall appreciation for the unit, it may not address the individual axles.

Axle GVW weights are determined by the chassis manufacturer and may have no basis in reality for the coach. The manufacturer orders a chassis and then proceeds to build a box on it. While they try to distribute the weight they are not always successful as they/we might like. There have been some coaches where the front axle was near the GVW for the axle before any supplies or passengers were loaded.

IMO the best way to see is to get actual scaled weights for the unit you are interested in. As mentioned options are often not included in the sticker information, especially if the sticker does not include the VIN or serial number.