Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If anyone is interested I am getting ready to Rally with the Noreasters, and I will put on this thread my preparations for getting underway. I am one week away from leaving, and whether it's a 100 mile trip or a few thousand this is what I do. Perhaps it will help you or you might see something that I'm doing wrong and you can correct me. I will post every day until leaving. I have fueled up with maimum amount of Gasoline. 75 gallons. I have turned on my refrigerator and have commenced loading some foodstuffs that my wife prepares in advance. This P.M.I opened the slides and vacuumed and sprayed the carpeting with a rug cleaner that did a good job. I cleaned all my cabinets with Pledge furniture wax. The cherry wood really shines. Tomorrow I plan to flush my fresh water tank and lines and sanitize the plumbing system.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If anyone is interested I am getting ready to Rally with the Noreasters, and I will put on this thread my preparations for getting underway. I am one week away from leaving, and whether it's a 100 mile trip or a few thousand this is what I do. Perhaps it will help you or you might see something that I'm doing wrong and you can correct me. I will post every day until leaving. I have fueled up with maimum amount of Gasoline. 75 gallons. I have turned on my refrigerator and have commenced loading some foodstuffs that my wife prepares in advance. This P.M.I opened the slides and vacuumed and sprayed the carpeting with a rug cleaner that did a good job. I cleaned all my cabinets with Pledge furniture wax. The cherry wood really shines. Tomorrow I plan to flush my fresh water tank and lines and sanitize the plumbing system.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 09-26-2005, 04:45 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations to your wife, she has done a great job of domesticating you. (lol)
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:50 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tomorrow I plan to flush my fresh water tank and lines and sanitize the plumbing system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please provide your steps in sanitizing your water system. Do you drive it for a while when doing this? etc.

Bob
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Completed sanitizing my water lines and fresh water tank. First of all I drained everything, fresh water tank, water heater and all the lines. Filled water tank to 3/4 and added a cup of bleach to the tank, I took it for a ride to home depot to pick up a new water heater plug, as the old when was getting chewed up. Upon return home I ran the water (utilizing my pump) thru all the lines and then drained the system again. I removed the filter on the pump and cleaned it and replaced. I installed the new plug on the water heater and as they say in the TV commercial" I'm good to go." BTW I have a whole house filter that mounts outside below the water cabinet, that was washed and a new filter element installed

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
For the bleach to be effective you should have left it in the lines overnight.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We were taught to use 1/4 cup of chlorine bleach per 15 gallons of water capacity. run to each point of use untill you could smell the chlorine let sit for three hours and then drain and flush.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:27 AM   #8

Ya done good, Cap'n !
Enjoy the trip and keep us posted with a picture now & then.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:03 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I think I'll do this AM is to add another ahot of bleach and let it sit till tomorrow and then drain again. Thanks Guys that's why I'm posting like this, to get feedback. Tomorrow I start on the outside ,Tire pressures, lubrication, (steps, hinges, latches etc.) I have to go to a house closing today with my Daughter.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 09-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today was spent cleaning and lubing. I washed the coach from top to bottom. I checked the tire pressures and brought them up to proper pressure. I cleaned the inside of my flipper doors. Through out some junk that I was carrying around forever and am "good to Go". Now I have a question that may sound a bit weird, yet I have to ask it. As long as I have owned Rvs and have not used my vehicles , lets say for a month or two, when I unwound my awning I have found a lot of debris, bug parts, leaves, straw etc. in the slot that runs the length of my awning tube. I found it again today, it smells horrible and it seems that some sort of insect uses the slot for a storage area. I feel a little silly asking about this. Has anyone else found this???? .

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 09-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a matter of fact yes, even after two weeks sitting. Insects like to start a new home, including spiders and such. Because of the silk they leave behind and the wind we have, including all the dust in the air, the silk becomes magnets. Then the wind keeps pushing it in further. At least I find mine into about a 1/4 of the way on each side. I stretch and wash it down with mild soap let it dry and wind it back up.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today was spent polishing the windows in the cockpit, inside and out and relocated a lot of stuff in the basement. Loaded up some more food and clothes and restocked my wine cellar. Tomorrow I concentrate on the toad and load that and the rest of the foodstuffs in the MH.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 10-03-2005, 03:15 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> when I unwound my awning I have found a lot of debris, bug parts, leaves, straw etc. in the slot that runs the length of my awning tube. I found it again today, it smells horrible and it seems that some sort of insect uses the slot for a storage area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cap'n, I'm seeing the same thing in the slot of my awning tube here in NE Ohio. I've never see this before in any of my other coaches. -Gotta be some weird kind of bug. I'm seeing lint, pieces of straw, and a few 1" long white grub-looking worms! Yucko! I clean them out each campout. I'm thinking some kind of bird is depositing the straw & lint in there, but I don't know how the grubs get in there.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
We saw straw the last time we brought it out. Strange.

Ruth..I don't know how you got him so well trained. I think he should show Gil this weekend how to clean up the trailer before a trip. All Gil cleans is that truck LOL!