Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
We were large boats owners also and cruised the Great Lakes for many years. It is as you were told, very similar including the camaraderie. If you enjoyed boating, you'll enjoy RVing.
Love the Great Lakes. Brought our boat down from Sturgeon Bay to St. Louis in 2005 will never do the loop so thought we would get a land yacht.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Past boater too, although I have moved up because a have a toytie on my land yacht... There is a MH place South of the cities that rents and one of the guys told me its around $5,000 a week for a 40fter I told the guy I didn't spend that much on my MH. I'll stick to what I have Thank-you...
tb

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Past boater too, although I have moved up because a have a toytie on my land yacht... There is a MH place South of the cities that rents and one of the guys told me its around $5,000 a week for a 40fter I told the guy I didn't spend that much on my MH. I'll stick to what I have Thank-you... tb
I heard that!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #18

Linda and I rented an Itasca Ellipse for a week before making any purchase decision. As I recall, it cost somewhere around $3,000. IT WAS THE BEST $3,000 WE EVER SPENT!

We learned that we loved the lifestyle, but more importantly, we found that there were certain things about the coach itself that we liked...and didn't like. For example, prior to renting, we thought we would really like the split bathroom concept, where the sink and toilet are in one room and the shower is across the hall, so to speak. Most motor homes are set up like this. When we actually had to use a bathroom and shower set up this way, we found that we hated it. That alone could have been a deal-killer for us, had we not learned about it first.

We ended up choosing a Mandalay 40E, which has the sink, toilet and shower all in one room. We like this setup MUCH better. However, we would not have learned this lesson had we not rented a coach first.

Renting can be a very valuable learning experience.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I remember getting a business card from a vender at a recent rv show here and I looked them up. I listed it here for all to see. There is also a large dealer just outside of St. Louis that rents also. If this is any indicator of cost to rent then I wouldn't spend the money doing it. It would cut into a future down payment and travel dollars to do it. JMHO http://jqrvrental.com
Old 02-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found these guys to be more reasonable it seems. http://www.byerlyrv.com/rvRentals/mo...t-class-a.aspx
Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
also quite a few private people rent theirs out to make the payments...
Watch out for this one!!! "Commercial" insurance coverage for a single RV would be very hard if not impossible to get. As the renter you would be liable for damage to the RV and have no liability coverage for damage you might do to others or their property..
As an aside, in 15 years of RV'ing we've never run across one of the "private people who rent theirs out"
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Watch out for this one!!! "Commercial" insurance coverage for a single RV would be very hard if not impossible to get. As the renter you would be liable for damage to the RV and have no liability coverage for damage you might do to others or their property.. As an aside, in 15 years of RV'ing we've never run across one of the "private people who rent theirs out"
I would never rent from a private owner.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #23

Hello,
I have rented several, I think for 5 years on our annual trips. We always drove to Co. and rented there because our trips were unique to mountain biking, rafting and climbing in Co. We never used a big name vender, if you get creative with your searches you will most likely find many options. While my experiences were not all good, it did shed light on what we wanted, didn't want and so forth. Like anything else, you'll find crooks in this game, honest renters, ratty RV's, cheap and expensive. I found that the low entry priced rentals usually will rape you on incidentals like linen, cookware, miles, gen hours, cleaning fees, etc. For us it turned out to be a better deal (usually) to go with inclusive packages. Also keep in mind that the unscrupulous (?) people/businesses in this game know you have planned this, are prepared for it and caught up in the excitement of things. They will tend not to go over things as clearly and indepth as they should, take your time, be certain whats there/present, whats not, the repair of everything, what is broken, or otherwise does not function as should. Do a walk around, take photo's and notes. Ask questions and keep an open mind/eyes.
For sure a bit of extra time up front can save a ton of trouble in the long run. Be safe and enjoy.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #24

We rented class c for just the two of us in Las Vegas to do the Grand Circle. Didn't take the package. We flew out packed old sheets I our luggage. Bought 4 cheap washcloths and towels from Walmart. Throw away paper products. Soap misc at Walmart. Can get used pots, pans etc from salvation army cheap. Washed at laundry
Once a week gave everything away before we flew home. Came out way ahead
Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #25

I know you stated you wanted to rent a shorter length coach, but if I were to assume that limitation was because of price, check out these guys: Renegade Rentals

One of the biggest issues with rentals is the mileage limitation. If you plan to travel much distance, rental gets real expensive. The company listed above does not charge for mileage, which turns into a huge saving in rental cost. The only drawback is that you could get spoiled very easy.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #26

I have rented from a place in Nashville several times, and had real good results. Go to williamsmotorhome.com
Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
I know you stated you wanted to rent a shorter length coach, but if I were to assume that limitation was because of price, check out these guys: Renegade Rentals One of the biggest issues with rentals is the mileage limitation. If you plan to travel much distance, rental gets real expensive. The company listed above does not charge for mileage, which turns into a huge saving in rental cost. The only drawback is that you could get spoiled very easy.
Thanks I'll check them out.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Check PPL motor home sales. You could buy a cheap unit use it for a year sell it and still get more of your money back than it would cost you to rent for a month.