Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
MH Rentals

Considering renting a MH possibly something in the 30-33 ft. range. Other than the big billboard type rentals do some dealers rent and what should I expect from any of them in regards to cost and hoops?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Considering renting a MH possibly something in the 30-33 ft. range. Other than the big billboard type rentals do some dealers rent and what should I expect from any of them in regards to cost and hoops?
Never rented one before, but ran into a small outfit in central Florida that rented RVs (with no billboards). So they are out there, but probably few and far between, compared to the big national (billboard) renters.

clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

Some good friends rented a 33 ft. Fleetwood Terra from a local dealer for a cross-country trip. I remember they paid a daily fee, mileage, and also generator hours. Very expensive, but they gave her mother a trip of a lifetime.

Quote:
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

I just did a google search and got 3 hits on RV dealers that rent.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #5

also quite a few private people rent theirs out to make the payments...
Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
rtz

I've seen RV dealers that rent. Also independent rental places.

Also CW: http://www.campingworld.com/rvrentals/

Here's one just to browse prices: http://www.americandreamvacations.net/
Old 02-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #7

A coworker rented a 32 foot class A from Road Bear RV rentals and was very happy. They drove to Las Vegas, picked it up there, and toured the canyon lands. They have half a dozen or so locations.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many on this sight suggest renting before buying this is why I was asking, but it seems very expensive to do so so and then you have the issues with needing a toad. I think if I would find one from a dealer that I liked I would ask to rent the unit before I would buy it and work that off the top of the selling price. Just a thought
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Many on this sight suggest renting before buying this is why I was asking, but it seems very it expensive to do so so and then you have the issues with needing a toad. I think if I would find one from a dealer that I liked I would ask to rent the unit before I would buy it and work that off the top of the selling price. Just a thought
Rent before buying isn't cheap, but cheaper than losing $40K after driving one off the lot and discovering this isn't for you. Our first was an old used one at a good price. We immediately liked RVing and spent several winter months in Fl. We outgrew it after 3 years. Traded it in Fl and only lost $2K. Just saying there are other ways to break into this without costing an arm and a leg
Old 02-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Many on this sight suggest renting before buying this is why I was asking, but it seems very expensive to do so so and then you have the issues with needing a toad. I think if I would find one from a dealer that I liked I would ask to rent the unit before I would buy it and work that off the top of the selling price. Just a thought
To get a real "feel" for the lifestyle! you need to rent something very much like you would eventually purchase. You will possibly not like the RV lifestyle if you rent an entry level motorhome, when your budget (if you really liked a unit) could afford a luxury diesel pusher. Kind of like never flying before, and thinking a ride in a 4 seat small airplane will tell you if you like flying or not. There are some people this works on, but not the majority. Riding in a big commercial jet gives one much more confidence and pleasure. ( all you pilots don't contradict me here.... You know this is true for the majority of the public. I'm a pilot too, and enjoy roller coasters, but we are not the majority of people out there)

Here is one company that rents the type more like you would be tempted to own and live in. http://gossrv.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3439509982.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	56141  
Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
I think if I would find one from a dealer that I liked I would ask to rent the unit before I would buy it and work that off the top of the selling price. Just a thought
I've never seen this work. They might sell you a rental, but probably will not take a new one and make it a rental just for you.
Never seen a car dealer do this either.....
Old 02-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Rent before buying isn't cheap, but cheaper than losing $40K after driving one off the lot and discovering this isn't for you. Our first was an old used one at a good price. We immediately liked RVing and spent several winter months in Fl. We outgrew it after 3 years. Traded it in Fl and only lost $2K. Just saying there are other ways to break into this without costing an arm and a leg
We are pretty sure we will like it. We have been large boat owners for many years with full accommodations and the maintenance that comes with it including the winterizations that comes with living in S. Louis. Know a few ex boaters that moved into rv ing when they retired and said it's very similar along with the camaraderie that goes with it.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually I would be referring a used unit.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We are pretty sure we will like it. We have been large boat owners for many years with full accommodations and the maintenance that comes with it including the winterizations that comes with living in S. Louis. Know a few ex boaters that moved into rv ing when they retired and said it's very similar along with the camaraderie that goes with it.
We were large boats owners also and cruised the Great Lakes for many years. It is as you were told, very similar including the camaraderie. If you enjoyed boating, you'll enjoy RVing.