Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
MH Safe Driving

I saw this picture on FB, posted by Camping World. Most of the comments were calling for the requirement for CDL license. I think IQ tests would be a lot better because most of the time stupidity causes the wrecks, 10 year old dry rotted tires, running 70+ towing and general ignorance, I know because I do a lot of stupid stuff. Would not MH driving school be a greater benefit, from my experience I see a lot more truck wrecks that MH, CDL don't keep these guys from accidents, overloaded pickup trucks pulling 8000# trailers. I realize truckers drive a lot more miles. What do you think, after seeing the wreck I think I will take a driving course for MH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1979544_10152239766040380_933521797_n.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	59225  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holy Smokes!!

This stuff happens all the time. Doesn't affect my driving or abilities. But it's a shame to see people's stuff strewn across the hiway and a shredded RV. They're usually a trailer, surprised to see a motorhome here.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Yup, I drive a lot of miles and typically see TT's and 5W's having the issues. I've never been tailgated by an MH, but can count dozens of times when I've had someone with a dually and fifth wheel rig pushing me down the road. A lot of people with overpowered rigs forget that the stopping distances are still long. Where is a LEO when the clowns are around!
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

Having taught CDL training, I do not see where it would help in the long run. While the training is good and the testing could challenge a driver, it is short term without back up training. Look at all of the people that drive 'normal' vehicles and the bad habits they develop! People get complacent about their driving habits and no amount of training is going to change that.
As far as the accident in the picture, what was the cause? It almost sounds like CW is trying to get more money by pushing CDL licensing for MH drivers.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #5

Read the newspaper story about this accident, the 80 year old driver fell asleep, driver an DW taken to hospital, but ok with minor cuts etc. happened in PA.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Having taught CDL training, I do not see where it would help in the long run. While the training is good and the testing could challenge a driver, it is short term without back up training. Look at all of the people that drive 'normal' vehicles and the bad habits they develop! People get complacent about their driving habits and no amount of training is going to change that.
As far as the accident in the picture, what was the cause? It almost sounds like CW is trying to get more money by pushing CDL licensing for MH drivers.
I agree with this. Also my son just finished with the school to get his CDL license. He graduated from the school. Got his license on a Friday. On Monday he got a job driving with a company. His first month of driving has him gone 5 days a week home two days. For the first month he has the company driving instructor teaching him how to drive. All the school teaches you is the basics with enough skill to get the license it does not teach real world conditions. Would you have to get your license then hire an instructor to drive with you for 20 days of travel to be able to drive your RV ?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #7

I have driven trucks for over 32 years and I call tell you the driving schools teach you how to pass the test for the most part.

I have rode thousands of miles with drivers just out of school and can say that there is a lot more to learn than what they teach.

It is a good thing that the instructor is with him. Now he will learn how to do the job the right way. Good for you son that he is with a company that does this!
Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
... Most of the comments were calling for the requirement for CDL license. I think IQ tests would be a lot better because most of the time stupidity causes the wrecks, ........Would not MH driving school be a greater benefit, ....... after seeing the wreck I think I will take a driving course for MH.
Neither a CDL, nor a MH training course, or a higher IQ would eliminate most of the accidents, which almost invariably result from someone not paying attention. Its really just that simple.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
You know how people are, they see one accident they want the government to regulate which ends up in a bigger mess. I did not think that CW was pushing CDL but if they are we need to let them know how we feel. I think I will still try to take the course.

You guys are right about trailers and 5th. wheelers, those guys need to wear a helmet, a 4-5 thousand pick up pulling a 12000# trailer at 75MPH. I told a guy about that and he said I got brakes, DUH
Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think it's mostly a shortage of good old common sense! I drive 60 MPH even on the interstates, stay in the right lane except to turn, stay WAY behind the vehicle ahead of me, keep both hands on the wheel all the time, limit the daily driving to about 300 miles, don't drive at night unless it's some kind of emergency, etc. JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montiem View Post
You know how people are, they see one accident they want the government to regulate which ends up in a bigger mess. I did not think that CW was pushing CDL but if they are we need to let them know how we feel. I think I will still try to take the course.

You guys are right about trailers and 5th. wheelers, those guys need to wear a helmet, a 4-5 thousand pick up pulling a 12000# trailer at 75MPH. I told a guy about that and he said I got brakes, DUH
You can't fix stupid.

CDL licenses cover a lot of stuff that is...well, commercial in nature. I don't need any of that to drive my motorhome. Driving a large motor home is mostly common sense, getting familiar with your vehicle, and a healthy dose of conservatism and common courtesy. You can get some of this taking a course designed for motorhome driving.

The motorhome accident portrayed in the photo was the result of falling asleep at the wheel. We regularly pull into rest areas and take a nice nap when required. A CDL isn't going to help someone who is driving tired. A CDL won't fix someone who's determined to drive a 45' 40,000 lb motorhome at 75MPH. All the CDL will do is make it much harder for people to obtain and drive motorhomes. I'm not for this unnecessary extra regulation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
You can't fix stupid.

The motorhome accident portrayed in the photo was the result of falling asleep at the wheel. We regularly pull into rest areas and take a nice nap when required. A CDL isn't going to help someone who is driving tired. A CDL won't fix someone who's determined to drive a 45' 40,000 lb motorhome at 75MPH. All the CDL will do is make it much harder for people to obtain and drive motorhomes. I'm not for this unnecessary extra regulation.
X2. A CDL in your wallet won't keep you awake and alert. I lieu of that, how about ANY motor vehicle operator after a certain age, having to provide annual medical certification of capability and pass a test of competence.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think it's mostly a shortage of good old common sense! I drive 60 MPH even on the interstates, stay in the right lane except to turn, stay WAY behind the vehicle ahead of me, keep both hands on the wheel all the time, limit the daily driving to about 300 miles, don't drive at night unless it's some kind of emergency, etc. JMHO!
I'm a pretty aggressive driver, lots of fast cars, but this is me in the RV.

I had a neighbor back out onto the street as we were coming home a few years ago, stood the coach on it's ear. When I got out to curse the guy I could smell rubber. And it bent the towbar ears on the jeep. Wow. I didn't hit him though!
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #14

When I worked for a municipality and drove their vehicles, we had to attend a driving safety course, given by their insurance company.

The instructor summed it up in one sentence.
"There are 2 types of accident, avoidable and un-avoidable.

Falling asleep is avoidable, cross-winds are avoidable, loss of control in a blowout is avoidable.

Preparation and defensive driving skills will avoid most accidents.
Arrangement of letters on a drivers license probably won't.
MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote