Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #15

After 25 years and nearly 500,000 miles I've never wore out a tire; either blew them out or replaced them; I never rotated a tire (waste orf time and money.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Tell him that if you wish, he owns a store that does nothing but truck tires, I will choose to believe he knows what he's talking about.

All 6 tires are identical, same model & size, same age, identical except for some barely noticable wear on the outside edge of the tread.

He chose to rotate them so they would all still turn in the same direction. Fronts to opposite side rear inners, rear inners to opposite side rear outers, rear outers to opposite side fronts.
If that's the case he did it wrong - the left front tire turns the same direction as the left rear inner tire. The front wheel has the convex side out, which matches the rear inner wheel, so moving the front directly to the inner rear on the same side means the tire rotates the same direction. If you move it to the inner on the other side it'll be rotating the other direction.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #17

If, and only if, you decided to rotate tires make sure you do not change the direction they have been running, especially if your tires are like mine. I run Michelin tires (275X80X22.5) which have rotational arrows on them and they run in that direction only if you are to optimize their wear (and who ever tells you that it does not matter on the rear duals --- have him talk directly to Michelin -- they will straighten the person out -- if it was not important, they would not put the arrows on the tires). Balancing and allignment are where I spend my money. I think that one will find out that you will never wear out a tire on a motorhome before it is tiem to change due to weathering and age.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Tell him that if you wish, he owns a store that does nothing but truck tires, I will choose to believe he knows what he's talking about.

All 6 tires are identical, same model & size, same age, identical except for some barely noticable wear on the outside edge of the tread.

He chose to rotate them so they would all still turn in the same direction. Fronts to opposite side rear inners, rear inners to opposite side rear outers, rear outers to opposite side fronts.
I don't think that radials are supposed to be rotated to opposite side front to rear. I always heard that radials were supposed to rotate front to back on the same side.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't think that radials are supposed to be rotated to opposite side front to rear. I always heard that radials were supposed to rotate front to back on the same side.
I think you have that backwards, randco. It was bias ply tires that were rotated front to back.

You will find all kinds of expert opinions on the right way to rotate and whether rotation is economically justified or even effective for modern tires. My own opinion is that tires should be rotated only if there are noticeable wear patterns and the choice of straight back vs side-side depends on the type of wear. Changing the side reverses the direction of rotation and can help distribute wear to the opposite side of a tire.

If you Google 'radial tire rotation' you will find all sorts of "expert" advice & not-so-exert opinions on tire rotation (or not).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #20

It seems that most articles always recommend following the vehicle manufacturers owners manual.
Here is an article from Road & Track magazine.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
I may have had my "description" backwards. They were careful to put the tires where they would rotate the same direction they always have.

If I had a new MH, and I knew the tires were properly balanced, I certainly would never do a rotation just for rotations sake. I would rebalance every 20k miles though (assuming the tires were not too "old") and would rotate at that time just because.

In my case this time, I'd just bought it, and it seemed good insurance to balance the tires. Rotating them was because of the slight unusual wear.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
JimM68....Nancylactic was correct. Your neighbor deals with truck tires that wear out quickly because of use and they change tires and positions often. On a motor home it's NOT a good idea to mix front and rear tires. The fronts generally wear faster than the rears. When you mix them together, one is actually smaller in diameter (front) and scuffs the pavement as you drive. The scuffing causes heat and heat causes blowouts. Will you get away with rotating them the way you did.....probably....but I wouldn't make a practice of it.

One of the big no no's is to put a new tire on with an old dual. On a six wheel motor home, you should always replace in pairs. Front blowout....two new front tires, right rear blowout.....both right rear duals...etc
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reading this thread I can understand why so many people have tire trouble. Do as you tire manufacture indicates.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote