Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

mh with 24 volt system??

Owner says 1995 monaco executive has a 24 volt sytem. Along with the battery challenge isn't that a potential problem in replacing any of the items that use the 24 volts. Should I just forget this one and stick with the tried and true 12 volts systems.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Are you sure the owner isn't confused because he has 2 each 12VDC or 4 each 6VDC batteries?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Are you sure the owner isn't confused because he has 2 each 12VDC or 4 each 6VDC batteries?

Rusty
Easy way to find out: remove a DC light bulb and measure the voltage from positive to negative in the socket...
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would bet two maple bars and a coffee it is not 24 volt.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
What else does the owned not know is my question.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #6

Never heard of anything but 12 volt in a mh. They would have to custom order everything in the coach. My bet is as stated, it has 2 12 volt batteries hooked in parallel or 4 six volts wired 2 sets in series.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #7

Prevost is 24 volt, PO may be confused with 2 12 volt batteries in the bay...

Huge red flag...

If owner has records where they paid for service okay, but if they state no records because they did it themselves. ..

Check anyway, they MAY have a 24 volt power system for inverted power which would be great
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

Owner says needs new batteries which cost $800.00. I question that cost was pretty high and noted that I had never heard of a 24 volt system in this type of MH, but he insisted. It has been sitting for a couple of years and tires are old, plus it is 7 hour drive for me so think I will pass. I know a little bit about batteries in that we replaced two 8Ds on our boat with 6volts in series for the house side and two 12s in parallel for start. (twin 3208 cats). If it were closer I would go look at it and see what it is. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A few older coaches used 24 volt starters for the engine, but the house system and most other chassis components were still 12v. More likley, though, he is merely confused because there are a pair of batteries for the starter (2 x 12v in parallel). Should be easy enough to check.

$800 is not out of line to replace a battery bank. Four Trojan T105's or 27TMH's would run that much in most shops. Maybe more.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #10

A 24V house system can make sense if the entire chassis is 24V as is the case with my MC8 DIY conversion - and there are some advantages in 24V in that situation BUT it is still a pain because everything 24V is dearer than 12V and more difficult to find AND some stuff just isn't available in 24V anyway so you end up with a dual voltage house system.

As for the OP's situation - as others have said, it would be unusual
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #11

Just because a coach is configured in a 24 volt manner, that does not mean that the standard 12 volts are not used in the normal places, just like 120 volts AC come from the DC batteries.

My rig is 24 volts, with 12 volt lighting and towing a 12 volt auto.

As the saying goes, it's not rocket science!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #12

Won't make it a deal breaker, but will need another one to look at in the area before I drive 7 hours to look at it. Thanks for all the posts.