Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
when in storage I use peppermint oil on cotton balls inside the motorhome,
+1

Learned that from a m/h dealership. That's what they use on all their inventory and they have million$ at stake. I supplement with dryer sheets in stored bedding and remove all foodstuffs or seal in rodent proof containers.

When I asked the dealership about mothballs the dealership manager said the odor was hard to eradicate and affected resale values. I don't use any kind of poison bait because when you think about it, you're attracting rodents to the bait. Kind of working against yourself as the object is to keep them away. And we do have dogs.

Do be careful with the peppermint oil: it will eat through plastic like Alien saliva Use paper cups for the cotton balls and ensure they don't tip over when you're moving the m/h. I usually cut the cups in half to lower their CG.

We're surrounded by corn and soybeans so we have squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, opossum, raccoons, and all varieties of mice. Skunks and raccoons will chew their way through anything trying to get at salt, including wooden tool handles impregnated over time with sweat.

Happy trails

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
If you have raccoons getting in your coach you need to fix the holes......LOL Sorry, could not resist that one.....:-)

Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If you have raccoons getting in your coach you need to fix the holes......LOL Sorry, could not resist that one.....:-)
Or change the locks!
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #18

i have tried everything with very limited sucess. a couple of weeks ago i statred using peppermint oil and so far no new signs. as far as racoons the only sure cure is a shotgun but only if you live in the woods like i do
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
When using the peppermint oil is it the smell that is repelling the mice or do they try to eat it and then die?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
I was told it's the smell that repels the mice and that you should never use anything to attract them, even if in a trap.
I used to use moth balls on the first trailer and they worked, but it took several weeks to get rid of the smell.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #21

Just do not use moth balls unless you want to have your MH as an asset in your estate.

BTW, your executor will have to give it away as no one in their right mind will buy it.

And no, the odor does not go away in a few weeks, it will stay forever.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutler View Post
Been using them for years have to replace them about every 12 months but yes they work for me NO Mice
Well thats good to know. I will look out for some.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
No problem! They are not inside, just snooping around.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post

No problem! They are not inside, just snooping around.
Well heck then. Their no different than my neighbors cat !! Lol
Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
So the next question that I would have to ask is there a particular brand of peppermint oil that works best and where do you buy it?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan17 View Post
So the next question that I would have to ask is there a particular brand of peppermint oil that works best and where do you buy it?
I buy it through Amazon but many health/gourmet cooking stores stock it. I think it's against Forum policy to post a direct link but PM me and I'll give you the info.

I believe the actual vendor is "Now Foods" and I buy a two pack of spearmint oil. Runs about $5 oz. ($12 for two bottles). An oz. will go a long way.

My RV dealership buys it by the quart and every Fall they have a crew of 4 people go through every RV on the lot planting paper cups with saturated cotton balls in every piece of inventory.

The odor keeps the critters away. They say it won't necessarily evict rodents that are already settled in but it will keep new renters from looking.

Going through the units at my dealership you can only occasionally catch a whiff of the mint smell. But I keep mine smelling like a candycane all winter long. After awhile the smell dissipates. I guess rodents have more sensitive olfactory senses than humans.

All I know is that it works.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try Mice Repel, it's available from Amazon at $20 for 4 smallish containers. I didn't want to trap or use poison (dogs around), the acoustic things didn't do anything ... and also bothered the dogs. Mice Repel is a mint scented gel, you undo the lid and it does its stuff - you might need a bit of trial and error to get the placement right. I was skeptical, but I've been mouse free since the first one I put out. The instructions say good for 60 days per container, mine go 90+. That's a year of no mice for $20.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try fresh cab. Works in my stick built when nothing else did. Just put it in the mh so can't say there but don't see why not. Just have to put new ones out every couple of months.

tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote