Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #1

Mice

This is all new to me and I was told that you have to watch out for mice in your motorhome! Do you need to worry during the season when you will be using it on and off or just during the winter when you will not be using it? Also what do you suggest for keeping these cute little critters away? I hate to kill anything and I heard something about using moth balls. Has anybody done this and does it work? Where do you suggest putting these or any other sort of deterant?
Niesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #2

Many folks use dryer sheets spread though out the basement and cabinets. Mostly a problem during the cooler weather and when in storage.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niesen View Post
This is all new to me and I was told that you have to watch out for mice in your motorhome! Do you need to worry during the season when you will be using it on and off or just during the winter when you will not be using it? Also what do you suggest for keeping these cute little critters away? I hate to kill anything and I heard something about using moth balls. Has anybody done this and does it work? Where do you suggest putting these or any other sort of deterant?
d-Con Mouse Poison.
I leave a few open packages here and there, at all times.....if mice are getting in they are killing themselves.
To save their little lives my wife puts scented dryer sheets as a deterrent.
One or the other is doing the job........we have seen no sign of mice in our coach for 12 years.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #4

I read also that stuffing steel wool around all openings like water hose inlets and power cord openings on the RV will deter them from coming in since the mice will not chew on steel wool.
Stormrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

Has any heard of the plug in electronic devices that claim they emit a frequency that will ward off the critters. Seems like a crock to me but at least one person I know swears they work
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winter storage is the main season for the critters but you don't want them to have a home either. Steel wool will work around the openings. I have heard in the distant past that Irish Spring soap placed around in various places will keep them out as well. I use it and do all the storage areas as well as the main coach, under the sink, everywhere. I buy enough that anywhere I go there's Irish Spring in that space. It smells better than moth balls and soap is always where I need it. Oh, I don't have mice either.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Here is my experience and only my opinions. For the past few years since relocating to NC we have had horrible mice problems expecially during the winter. I tried putting mothballs in all of the side compartments, I put dryer sheets all over the inside I cut up bars of irish Spring soap and put all over the inside of the coach....what I found was that the mice ate the soap and made nests out of the dryer sheets. The coach smelled nice, but still had mouse issues. This winter I put nothing inside, EXCPEPT I bought a Black and decker rodent ultra sonic box and put inside with it turned up as loud as it would go and set on rodents........not a single mouse and not a single sign of a mouse inside. I did go out once and found a couple mouse droppings in one fo the side boxes so I bought a second B&D box and put in the side box as all side boxes are open to each other. in the month since doing that I have seen zero mouse signs anywhere. I leave the boxes turned on all the time. Do they really work?????/beats me. Have they really worked for me?????/ABSOLUTLY.......Will they work every year??????unknown, but I will be finding out. These boxes cost about 45.00 a piece, but if they work like they have this year it is worth every penny, heck I spent that much on soap, moth balls,and dryer sheets, combined with all the stuff they runined.......

Again, only MY OPINION.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used "Fresh Cab" for several years, available on Ebay. I put them in the basement. I use dryer sheets in the drawers inside the coach. This has worked for me. I do this year around. Also doesn't hurt to have stray cats roaming the area.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #9

My RV is kept in a barn with concrete floor. I keep de-con mini logs in the corners of the barn they eat on them and then search for water. They have to go back outside for water. Never had one in the RV except once in Florida. Got him with a sticky strip trap. NOTE: don't let your dog or cats in the barn. That cost me $160 at vet to get my neighbors dog's a shot to clear it's stomach!!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
when in storage I use peppermint oil on cotton balls inside the motorhome, also have 2 ultra sonics plugged in. outside I put mothballs in containers with holes in the top (so they don't spill) by the tires and in each outside storage door, I also have an ultra sonic underneath ( it needs to point up so it has a way to bounce the sound it produces), so far I have had no problems and have been doing this the past 3 years. I will add a few drops of the peppermint oil to the cottonballs every month when I check the batteries.

during the season we take out all the food from the cabinets and make sure there are no crumbs, etc laying around.

I know it may sound extreme but we live next to a corn field!
so far no mice.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #11

If you have electricity available we found loud music with lots of base kept mice away
willie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

Mice aren't the only consideration--Rats and squirrels are also trouble. My daughter just spent 1400 dollars getting her Honda Odyssey repaired after one of the rodents built a nest in the sensor wireing system. Chewed them all up, and she drives the car every day. Parks on a concrete slab under the house. Go figure.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
Has any heard of the plug in electronic devices that claim they emit a frequency that will ward off the critters. Seems like a crock to me but at least one person I know swears they work
Been using them for years have to replace them about every 12 months but yes they work for me NO Mice
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #14

Mice, well no problems here but, what do you do for raccoons? I know they around because they leave there little footprints on the extended steps.