Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #1

I'm planning on camping in the wilds of Arkansas(hunting ducks in rice country)and am worried about mice/rat damage to 34ft.D.P. while parked in areas where these critters are abundant.I've seen previous threads about using steel wool to plug entrance points but where exactly are rodents able to get in and do damage?(I can plug areas where the lines and hoses enter the RV but where else?)Are there any chemical or similar substances that can be applied on the ground around the RV to deter their presence?Also, I plan on leaving the RV in AR for a short period of time and returning home-how do I find a safe/secure storage facility(probably West Memphis is the closest city of any size)? Thanks in advance

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

There is a lot of evidence that a string of rope lights under the RV and in the engine compartment will repel pack rats. They like the dark, so light it up and they stay away.

Plug any hole under the RV or wet Bay Area that is bigger than a dime. Copper mesh seems to be a preferred material, as it doesn't rust, and rodents can't chew through it.

If you could surround the tires with a Box of glass smooth panels, there would be no way for them to climb up. Some spices also repel them, cinnamon for one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416015775.177405.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	79069
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416016209.622017.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	79070

pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Any RV we ever owned has chunks of "Black Cat" rat poison hidden behind panels, appliances, under floors, anywhere pets can't access. Rodents eat the poison, which makes them thirsty, and go outside to find water (they're hemorrhaging internally), but die instead. I've never had rodent damage to an RV. (it works on squirrels and raccoons too when they get into the engine bay)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only thing I ever had luck with are spring mouse traps baited with peanut butter.
They will find every hole you think you have plugged doesn't need to be a hole a crack will do.
If your a fisherman use them for bait, just get rid of them, good luck.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Only thing I ever had luck with are spring mouse traps baited with peanut butter.
They will find every hole you think you have plugged doesn't need to be a hole a crack will do.
If your a fisherman use them for bait, just get rid of them, good luck.
Been in the pest control business for 44 years and I use spring traps with peanut butter bait around my own property. An effort for exclusion is always good and try to limit harborage areas around what every your truing to protect. I do use bait but on the outside of building and or motorhome. Do not store your grill in the motorhome, that's asking for trouble.

Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
If you have a slideout look at the bottom seal where it joins the vertical seals. My seals are in perfect condition but I could see right in. Also if you leave furnace exhaust and intake opening open they can get in their. I know it sounds crazy but after I plugged their I had no more mice. These mice can walk walls. I agree with the above post about the grill. We vacume all carpets and floors for food crumbs and remove all food in the coach. Good luck in Arkansas.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Dryer sheets with a strong scent will keep them out, we keep them in our basement, sewer manifold area...so far so good.
The Girls & Newman
42' 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder
cfyanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
For long term storage (pet friendly) I built and reuse these every year around all our parked toys. I feed them before they get in.. Lean them up against the inside tires front and back, they crawl in eat the bait block and run off for water and DIE.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416828142.121040.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416828156.753405.jpg
Views: 2405
Size:  82.1 KB
2 of us + 1 rescue, Sadie (not sure who rescued who)
Toad: 11' 2dr Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Fit Sport
11' Bay Star 3302,11' Alpine 3555RL 40' 5er
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #9

Mice that have eaten rodenticide are poisonous to cats and dogs that may eat them.

I have used mouse traps with peanut butter for years set out on a several layers of newspaper or a magazine. I check them every few weeks. Only catch a mouse once in awhile.

I am going to try the dryer sheets.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
DIY Redneck mousetrap...

A previous thread on rodent control here...

And a updated version here.... 5 gal bucket (or a dome lid trashcan with a small access hole), pour a gallon of RV antifreeze in the bottom, a plastic bottle with a coat hanger thru it, some peanut butter on the middle of the bottle, and lean a board up against the side. Works great and no smell.

*Recommended for use only in controlled (enclosed) areas*

'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
I used Mouse Free this year.

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote