Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Mice

We live on 10 acres in the desert and have been having a big problem with mice, hubby sealed up most all off the access points and we started testing systems in anticipation of taking our first post retirement trip. No power to the water pump or water heater, one light over the sink not working rear view camera not working. (The refrigerator was not working, but found that was just a dirty contact). Today he opens up the wire runs and finds this. The other end of the wires are about a foot away. He is experienced in electrical, so hopefully after that's fixed we can start loading up to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	102536  
Suzque49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Are they mice or pack rats? Either one, traps or bait will prevent nesting, but perhaps not the damage.

If you do a search for "mice" using the Google search box at the top of the page you'll find many 'sure' strategies for getting rid of and discouraging mice from your RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We got some "pestblock" expanding insulating foam and filled in some areas, (it has a bitter taste they don't like) also lined areas around the engine compartment (under the bed) with aluminum, (doesn't reduce airflow or increase heat build up because it is not close to the engine) and closed large holes with aluminum sheeting. Still have a couple of holes to fill and have several mouse traps placed around the rig. Slowed down their entry into the mh, will see what happens after the other openings are closed off. Will keep ya posted as to th overall success of this project.
Suzque49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #4

I've had great success with Shakeaway

http://www.shake-away.com

Fulltiming in a 2012 Newmar Ventana LE 3634
Onegeorge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #5

Was recently told that bars of Irish Spring soap laying around in the basement compartments and or cabinets will keep the mice away! I'm going to try it myself.

"life happens" HE lives..
2008 HR Ambassador DP 360 38'
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
Was recently told that bars of Irish Spring soap laying around in the basement compartments and or cabinets will keep the mice away! I'm going to try it myself.
Rumor probably started by share holders in the company that makes Irish Spring!

We use a sonic pest device the original owner bequeathed to us. He said he never had mice when he used it. I was skeptical. We brought it home, in two weeks we had mice! I turned the thing on, and it's been almost two months, and the mice left and haven't returned. I can't prove it was the sonic thingie, but I'm not going to argue with success either! I wonder if will make in-laws go away?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Rumor probably started by share holders in the company that makes Irish Spring!

We use a sonic pest device the original owner bequeathed to us. He said he never had mice when he used it. I was skeptical. We brought it home, in two weeks we had mice! I turned the thing on, and it's been almost two months, and the mice left and haven't returned. I can't prove it was the sonic thingie, but I'm not going to argue with success either! I wonder if will make in-laws go away?
We have tried two different sonic pest devices and neither worked, what manufacturer and model do you have.
66vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #8

Traps and poison bait are all that work. Science shows that folk remedies don't work, but that doesn't stop the faithful from believing.

I love the 5-gallon bucket trap. Since putting one of these in my RV, I've caught several mice and not had any further issues. I also have some poison and other traps spread around but they haven't been as effective as the 5-gallon. It could be the copious amounts of peanut butter I used to bait it but I'm not complaining.

I also put some PVC 'T' poison dispensers outside of the rig. They are designed to let small animals (rodents) in to let them eat the poison, but they can't take chucks of it with them and it doesn't fall out so other animals can't eat it.

With this mix, we have been able to stop the mice from being in the rig (so far...).
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

Say no to poison, don't need dead mice etc in the coach. Get a cat.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66vette View Post
We have tried two different sonic pest devices and neither worked, what manufacturer and model do you have.
I understand the people who are skeptical about the sonic devices, like I posted, I was too. Then I turned it on, no mice . . . It's hard to argue with success! Attached are pics (I hope) of the device and the box. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonic pest device 001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	103263   Click image for larger version

Name:	sonic pest device 002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	103264  

Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #11

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the internet for this item and found the price to be from $235 to $31 new price. I also found 50% of the reviews to be negative and 50% positive. The negative complaints where that the unit was too loud and didn't keep any mice or other nuisance animals away. Does it seem loud to you and what are your settings.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:43 AM   #12

I haven't changed the settings from what the PO had on it. The volume level is on the "Quiet" setting and I can't hear it from 2 feet away. The medium and high volume ARE loud, and would probably drive ME away too, so I can see why people may not like it if they have it at this setting and are living in it. The sound pattern is set to "C". The price tag on the box is $54.99, but I have NO idea how many years ago that was. Once again, I can't guarantee that turning this on was what drove the mice out, and is the reason that in over two months we haven't seen any new sign of them in the coach, but SOMETHING is keeping them out now!
Old 08-15-2015, 05:19 AM   #13

They may drive pet cats and dogs crazy and they can't get away... something to think about.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I haven't changed the settings from what the PO had on it. The volume level is on the "Quiet" setting and I can't hear it from 2 feet away. The medium and high volume ARE loud, and would probably drive ME away too, so I can see why people may not like it if they have it at this setting and are living in it. The sound pattern is set to "C". The price tag on the box is $54.99, but I have NO idea how many years ago that was. Once again, I can't guarantee that turning this on was what drove the mice out, and is the reason that in over two months we haven't seen any new sign of them in the coach, but SOMETHING is keeping them out now!
The manufacturer has a price that is equivalent to what is on your box. Since I would only be turning it on when I am not in it I don't believe the noise will be an issue unless you can hear it outside of the motorhome.