Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
THank you. I'll try it out and see if I can get some mice.
Excellent...be sure to send me a message to tell me when you catch your first critter and overall, how it works out for you.

22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #16

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Excellent...be sure to send me a message to tell me when you catch your first critter and overall, how it works out for you.
I will, but hoping I won't catch any. I stay right on top of it with traditional traps and peanut butter. I usually only catch 2 or 3 over the winter. Seems there might be two seasons for them to move in. In the fall, looking to nest, then I catch some again in spring. I guess unlike humans, mom and dad kick the kids out to get their own place

Seems we had a similar path: 'Nam in the Navy and then law enforcement ! Cool

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #17

They'll get in.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post
They'll get in.

Shure nuff do.....
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #19

Name of Bait

What is the name of the bait and where can yolu buy it?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:36 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I get it at the Tractor Supply near us, it's called TomCat bait blocks. These have the 1/4" hole in them that go's on the threaded rods in the upright. Made the mistake of picking up the wrong ail that had pellets type, ad to return it. Decon pellets works great, the nice eat them and die but, the also take the pellets to store elsewhere and thats when my pooch could find them and she eats everything... In our 5th wheel i put them under the drawers (out of reach f our dog) only to find the pellets had been moved and stored in and under out our pull out bed couch. Not good, if i hadn't done a complete search of the trailer when we 1st opened it i'm sure noisey Sadie would have sniffed it out and had to try it. And dryer sheets? I used to swear by them till i found them chewed up and used for bedding in the bottom drawer of our dresser. See the tread. Tomcat® with Bromethalin Bait Chunx, 4 lb. Pail - Tractor Supply Co.
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 AM   #21

If you have dogs or cats, a better way is the 5 gallon mouse trap:
Bucket Mouse Traps |

Using rv antifreeze kills the smell, so you just have to dump the critters and refill. I built one for my wellhouse and they work perfect.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Funny story. In AZ we have problems with packrats. They will get into anything and are infamous for chewing motor wiring and "nesting" under hoods of standing vehicles. A couple of years ago, one moved into a car we had sitting in the backyard to be renovated. After checking around, we bought a live trap and after a couple of days, caught the little booger. I called the pest control company that advised us about the trap and the suggested we call a local vet that would have the rat taken to the wildlife rehab center. I was aghast! "They rehab rats?" After the guy picked himself off the floor and quit laughing he told me that they use them to feed the birds of prey. Did I feel silly!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
T Gibson What are the dimensions of your trap and what size PVC pipe are you using. I just had to move my RV to a new storage area because I was invaded by mice. Thanks
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I use either 1 1/2" or 2" pipe for all traps. When putting them outside under the 5er and the motor home I use 2" pipe. For the boats that are in storage I use 1 1/2" pipe. Just my thought that out side a bigger size opening would invite a larger pest. The inportant part of the trap is the upright.. It should be tall enough for what ever lenght 1/4" rod you use to let the bait hang in the tee 1/2" to 3/4" from the bottom of the tee. Then the washer on the end to hold the bait from coming off the rod and the wing nut on the end to make replacement easy. I buy the precut 1/4" rods from Lowes and size the upright accordinly to include the fittings on the upright. The 1 1/2" pipe that sits on the outside of my S2000 in the garage something has eaten just about all of the 1 block of Tom Cat so they are eating. I live out in the sticks around a lot of dairy farms so I'm not going to be able to get to away from the field mice. I'M NOT MOVING, my nieghbours don't play their music loud, and everyone owns and uses guns, so no property theft. It's nice...
Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Rick don't move just feed them and they will go away. Use the traps in and out. Heck feed the neighbors as well, let it be a food feast and feed all that want to come before they get in the MH. The traps are low cost to build, and they work.... I buy the 1/4" lock nut bolts in the box by the 100' and the 1" washers by the box full. When I drill the end cap hole I use a 1/4" lock nut on the top of the threaded rod then a 1" steel washer inside with another 1/4" lock nut tightened on to hold the rod to the threaded PVC end cap. They are cheap to make and quick. Make lots, wire tie them in the engine area, basements storage areas, these little guys get into everything.... Hope this helps to take care of the "little friends" lol
Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you, I'm having trouble in one area in a 4 drawer unit next to sink cabinet. Where do you put them in the engine area? I'm going to make some this weekend, the weather is going to be warmer.
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:41 AM   #27

radio playing

An old farmer told me to leave a radio playing in my shop and the mice would be gone. Have had it playing for the last 10 years and no traces of mice. Got the RV last year and the stereo stays on also. I was infested with field mice prior to leaving the radio on. Try it you will become a believer also.
Sapd1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I wire tie them to the air box with the upright at a 15-29 deg angle toward the front, also 2 on the lower front bumper area hanging from small ropes tied to the grill. The eng. area is only when i store it for the season. They don't have to be in a straight position to work. Just the ones I have on leaned up against the tires outside in the weather I don't want the snow or rain to get in so they are positioned straight up or close to it.

Tags
storage