Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mice and long term storage

Each year I have to store 2 boats and 2 RV's till spring. I use fresh cap in all of the insides and engine areas. The thing that has worked the best is my cheap home made traps. I place these on the inside of front and rear tires leaned up against them and, feed the pests before the get inside. WORKS GREAT.. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416828854.420835.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416828866.383239.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416828884.929250.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  78.6 KB

T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I use the same baits all around my RV and they work. When the bait is still there after several feedings you are good.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Great Idea , I use something similar , with coffee
cans, never had a problem with mice after that.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I like the idea. I see that the baits are threaded thru a rod, thus keeping them in the short portion of the PVC and away from pets, but do the mice ever gnaw thru the baits enough for them to fall off the rod, and then possibly out of the PVC?

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
Each year I have to store 2 boats and 2 RV's till spring. I use fresh cap in all of the insides and engine areas. The thing that has worked the best is my cheap home made traps. I place these on the inside of front and rear tires leaned up against them and, feed the pests before the get inside. WORKS GREAT.. Attachment 79816Attachment 79817Attachment 79818
Okay, I'll admit, I am a little "slow", but how does that PVC trap work ?
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The bait is hollow and threaded on the 1/4" rod. If any does fall off, the 1 1/2" 2' long bottom pipes will keep it contained inside of the pipe away from the pets. The mice can smell the bait and then they crawl into the 2' ends to get at the bait that hangs from the upright PVC. I use them year round on our 5th wheel that sits at a seasonal site year round. Don't have to worry about our dog eating decon pellets and she can't get at the bait.
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks,
I might steal your idea.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
The bait is hollow and threaded on the 1/4" rod. If any does fall off, the 1 1/2" 2' long bottom pipes will keep it contained inside of the pipe away from the pets. The mice can smell the bait and then they crawl into the 2' ends to get at the bait that hangs from the upright PVC. I use them year round on our 5th wheel that sits at a seasonal site year round. Don't have to worry about our dog eating decon pellets and she can't get at the bait.
Me again, the "slow" one...

So to be sure I understand this, the horizontal pipe has closed ends. The mice somehow get to the open end vertical stack and begin to nibble on the bait, then fall in ?

I apologize for taking the post up for this.

Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Me again, the "slow" one...

So to be sure I understand this, the horizontal pipe has closed ends. The mice somehow get to the open end vertical stack and begin to nibble on the bait, then fall in ?

I apologize for taking the post up for this.

Ken
No. The horizontal pipe has open ends so the mice can get in at the vertical pipe and chew on the bait in it.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

DOH

Okay.....now I see. Told ya I was slow......

That is to protect other animals from the poison. I was assuming it was a trap.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #11

Be very very careful with rat/mice bait. I placed similar pieces in my yard, down a chute, behind a lattice fence...well away from any pets access and far enough away, birds couldn't even crawl into. The next day, I found a half eaten 3/4 inch square piece of the very poison I carefully hid away sitting on the ground in the middle of my patio. By that afternoon, my dog became very sick. I spent $2,000 on emergency treatment suspecting he nibbled on the piece the rat dragged out onto the patio. It was never determined if he ate part of it...it never showed up in his blood. It was actually a blood clot in his throat from a previous throat surgery that had surfaced at the same time I discovered the rat poison. I learned my lesson about using poisons. Rats will eat part and attempt to drag part of it to their lair (or wherever their 'hood is) I now use electric zappers. They cost more but work on batteries and deliver an immediate lethal shock. No mess, no hunting down the stinker. You just tip it in the trash and out he comes. When we take possession of our newly ordered RV, I will certainly do my best to plug up holes with steel wool and I will definitely deploy the zappers.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Be very very careful with rat/mice bait. I placed similar pieces in my yard, down a chute, behind a lattice fence...well away from any pets access and far enough away, birds couldn't even crawl into. The next day, I found a half eaten 3/4 inch square piece of the very poison I carefully hid away sitting on the ground in the middle of my patio. By that afternoon, my dog became very sick. I spent $2,000 on emergency treatment suspecting he nibbled on the piece the rat dragged out onto the patio. It was never determined if he ate part of it...it never showed up in his blood. It was actually a blood clot in his throat from a previous throat surgery that had surfaced at the same time I discovered the rat poison. I learned my lesson about using poisons. Rats will eat part and attempt to drag part of it to their lair (or wherever their 'hood is) I now use electric zappers. They cost more but work on batteries and deliver an immediate lethal shock. No mess, no hunting down the stinker. You just tip it in the trash and out he comes. When we take possession of our newly ordered RV, I will certainly do my best to plug up holes with steel wool and I will definitely deploy the zappers.
Did you purchase those zappers on the internet? If so, could you put a link here so I can see those ?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Did you purchase those zappers on the internet? If so, could you put a link here so I can see those ?

Thanks,
Ken
Ken, actually, I got them at Home depot. You put a bit of peanut butter all the way inside then just turn it on and leave it. I use them to catch rats that run along my fence outside. You can also go on youtube and watch them work where some posters mounted a video cam next to them to document it. What I like about them is it is humane (if there's really a humane way to kill a rat) but no spring traps to smash bodies or heads...it's fast and according to documentation, they never know what hit them.

Victor Electronic Rat Trap-M240 at The Home Depot
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Ken, actually, I got them at Home depot. You put a bit of peanut butter all the way inside then just turn it on and leave it. I use them to catch rats that run along my fence outside. You can also go on youtube and watch them work where some posters mounted a video cam next to them to document it. What I like about them is it is humane (if there's really a humane way to kill a rat) but no spring traps to smash bodies or heads...it's fast and according to documentation, they never know what hit them.

Victor Electronic Rat Trap-M240 at The Home Depot
THank you. I'll try it out and see if I can get some mice.

Tags
storage