Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #1

Mice in the ceiling, maybe?

I had to store my MH outside with cover this winter in Maine. I used moth balls, bounce softener and mouse deterrent from Tractor Supply all over inside and around the chassis to keep mice away. Sure enough I go in the coach to look things over and I hear pitter patter of little feet in the ceiling. I tapped on the ceiling at location of the creature and it made a strange buzzing sound and ran to another location. Each time a tapped at the approximate location the darn thing made the buzzing sound. any ideas what the heck this creature is? Never heard a mouse or squirrel do this. It is in between the ceiling and roof.
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

Maybe try sticking your tongue out close your lips and blow air out your mouth. Does it should like this ? Maybe that's what they are doing... Sorry I couldn't resist...
Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Chipmunks? Anything you have seen running around outside could be up there, but squirrels will hiss.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #4

Maybe a bird. Flopping it wings then moving ?!?!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

I am thinking bird also. I was at a campground this past summer and had a couple of birds land on my extended slide out. It sounded like an animal in the ceiling. When I went outside to inspect the noise, I saw one of the birds fly away from under the slide out awning.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #6

I have no idea what it is, so be sure to tell us all when you find out.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. It definintly was running in the ceiling and on many occaisions when I tapped on the ceiling it made a buzzing sound. After panicking that my wiring will be chewed up I resorted to Decon. I removed a light fixture and set a box of it inside the ceiling then replaced the light. After three days I removed the light. The whole Decon container is gone, box and all! I tried to find it with a mirror, it is gone somewhere up there. Whatever it is, it was big enough to drag it off. No noise the past couple days. Not looking forward to the smell!
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
A possum or a raccoon will growl if confronted, this may be your buzzing sound. They are rather large though so it seems strange that it would get in your ceiling.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #9

This sounds much creepier than my scorpion in the basement story.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #10

So now what???

2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31 BDP
waynesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #11

I pray for your sake that if it was a mouse or a rat, that it died outside of the motorhome. I had a small rat die between the plastic and metal part of the engine shroud of a van that I used to own. I removed the carcass as soon as the flies started swarming. That was how I was able to find it. It took almost 2 years before the decaying smell was gone. I used every kind of cleaner and deodorizer that I could find but the smell kept returning.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I caught 10 mice inside our rig this winter. I used Jiff peanut butter, bird seed, and 4 snap traps at a time set up around the stove and sink, along walls was best. Put a dab on Pb on the trigger then cover in bird seed. Be sure to remove all food from the rig. For fun I made a "Red Neck mouse trap". It got 2. Do a search on you tube. Check every other day. Don't use bait that kills, if the mouse eats the bait and dies in your ceiling, the smell will be awful. I tried the sticky pads, they were a waste of money. Oh, and I tried the dryer sheets, and mothballs, they were useless too.
hoboz2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling