Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mice! Yuck!

Well, another thread about mice!

We have owned our motor coach for 7 years. In those 7 years we have not had any problem with mice. I have always used those electronic buzzer things and felt that was the solution.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, I'm catching 2 mice a night with mouse traps laced with peanut butter. They're getting into the front cabinet under the dashboard, which tells me they're getting up into the dashboard somehow and dropping down onto the floor in that wood cabinet. They're getting under the drawers in the kitchen cabinet, which tells me they're getting up through an opening somewhere into the kitchen cabinets. So far, I haven't caught anything in the basement compartments, which puzzles me.

I think tomorrow night I might try running some high powered lights in those cabinets and check outside if I can see any light leaking out. That might give me a chance of finding out how they're getting in.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

If you find a good solution to keep them out, I am all ears. Thus far, all solutions I have seen haven't worked.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee.. I have a couple of house mates who would just LOVE to have some mice to play with. Do not know if this link will work but if it does.. here is one of them:

https://db.tt/mZjIT6Xe

Not only does she love mice.. She'd invite them to dinner.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
Well, another thread about mice!

We have owned our motor coach for 7 years. In those 7 years we have not had any problem with mice. I have always used those electronic buzzer things and felt that was the solution.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, I'm catching 2 mice a night with mouse traps laced with peanut butter. They're getting into the front cabinet under the dashboard, which tells me they're getting up into the dashboard somehow and dropping down onto the floor in that wood cabinet. They're getting under the drawers in the kitchen cabinet, which tells me they're getting up through an opening somewhere into the kitchen cabinets. So far, I haven't caught anything in the basement compartments, which puzzles me.

I think tomorrow night I might try running some high powered lights in those cabinets and check outside if I can see any light leaking out. That might give me a chance of finding out how they're getting in.

Jim
Good idea about checking for the light from the outside. Let us know how that works out.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

Good luck with the mice thing. I too have had a couple that I caught in traps with peanut butter. I think the little critters are looking for a warm place for the winter. Wouldn't be so bad but they can do lots of damage to wiring and plumbing. Keep the traps set and maybe you will finally get rid of them. Good Luck!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The other frustration is that I have mouse traps set up outside beside each wheel, beside each jack. I caught a couple of mice there the first night. Ever since, the only mice I catch are inside the coach.

Uugh!

Jim
Canada, eh?
Old 09-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

set up under my MH, I think if you feed (poison) them before they enter the MH, they will have no reason to gain entry

When I first put this out, I would have to replace the blocks of poison daily, now I am down too weekly, so they are slowly disappearing and I do not have any rodents inside the RV.

You can also make your own out of PVC, you tube videos show you how
Old 09-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #8

I am having the same problem. Here's my experience over the last week with various potential solutions.

1. Traditional snap trap with cheese and peanut butter as bait - ninja mouse has taken the bait from several traps without setting them off. One under the bathroom sink hit the mouse and it looked like a mini crime scene with a fair amount of blood, but no body.

2. Round traps that you wind and put the bait in the middle from the bottom - no luck.

3. Tomcat poison despenser - not a nibble in over 24 hours.

4. Glue traps with cheese in the middle - mouse walked on, ate cheese, pulled my dogs leash into the glue to make a mess and departed. It must not be big enough to stick in the glue.

I am determined to kill these before the cause big problems.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think I can use poison. We have a yard cat. If the cat eats a mouse that has eaten the poison, I think it will be good-by puddy-tat.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Old 09-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I don't think I can use poison. We have a yard cat. If the cat eats a mouse that has eaten the poison, I think it will be good-by puddy-tat.

Jim
We had a cat, once upon a time, and it only ate the head of mice. I asked a vet and was told the head is non-toxic to cats, Cats smarter than humans? hhmmm
Old 09-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #11

I can't use poison either. I store the coach in a facility that has a cat roaming around and the owner doesn't want his cat poisoned. Used peppermint last year, not sure if it worked or not.

I have the "mouse free" but didn't spray as much as the directions required because I didn't want it dripping on the floor of the storage facility. It is indoor storage.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #12

I have heard Bars of Irish Spring soap place inside deters them. I have just tried, so after a little cleaning I will let you know. I read it on a few other site, so worth a shot.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #13

I always succeed using both regular mouse traps and the rotary traps, both types baited with peanut butter. If you have lots of trap-tripping with no luck, consider where you are placing traps. Along a wall is best and make sure the active part doesn't strike anything on the way down. Think about how the mouse might approach the trap and place it accordingly. In the fall, I keep 2 rotary traps outside my 5th wheel because cats and squirrels can't easily get in trouble with them.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #14

Get both rat size and mouse size traps from amazon in the 10 packs.

Get the ones with the yellow bait holder as they are better trigger and hold more peanut butter which is like crack to mice.

Get a few 2 X 4 and lay them under your mh on edge to form a low wall.

Place them near tires or shore lines.

Place traps 90 degrees to boards with bait at board.

They cannot see too well so they run along walls and the 2 X 4 forms a wall.

Get a bore or inspection camera from harbor freight so you can look behind things.

They may be getting in through where your drains are or a sewer connection.

Place traps along your walls inside and use plenty of peanut butter.

They will not linger in your dash if they smell the "good stuff"

Seal holes with steel wool then spray some foam in and if under topcoat with rattle can bed liner.