Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Michelin 235/80 R22.5 XRV side wall blow outs?

Hi,

I'm researching sidewall splits or blow outs for these tires when they are at 10k miles, less than 4 years old. I haven't had the blow out, yet, but have 2 damaged tires due to air pressure safety checks.

A free air pressure safety check caused the air valve inner spring to not totally close resulting in a slow leak on the inside passenger dual over ~4 weeks of driving & parking. This condition is reversible & can be prevented. I discovered the inner tire was flat when I brought the coach into a tire shop to inspect why the outer tire suddenly developed a 4" split in the sidewall radiating from the hubcab/wheel--over ~200 miles.

The inside tire was coming off the rim, about 3-4" of tread ripped loose, not punctured...and they said it was all cosmetic (presumably because it was their free air pressure check that caused it) and safe to drive but they will not put that in writing.

I am trying to figure out what anyone knows as I wait here until Monday, not going on the road, to call Michelin.

The tire shop has offered to send these tires to a place that will revulcanize the ripped tread and do a "cushion gum" technique to repair the split. That will strand me 7 days.

Your opinions gratefully requested.
tealstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tealstar,
Buy new tires. Based on the information provided I would not trust the tires or the dealer. If you belong to FMCA, a new Michelin tire costs $378.52 Go to http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/p...lin_prices.pdf and check it out. Contact FMCA for details.

Sorry for the expensive recommendation, but this is what I would do.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #3

If it were me, I would get in the motorhome with the split tire and drive to another tire shop

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Can't afford it, Gary. I'm stuck.

I have a call into one of those TV stations that help people solve problems. They will be here tomorrow.

The 2 rear dual tires are right next to my propane tank. I have to stick up my dukes, and fight, again, darn it!

Do guys have this many problems? Or do 'ya walk in with a visible side arm? The company has 199 complaints on The Rip Off Report.com and a class action by their employees against management.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-27_13-07-39_923.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	75112   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-27_08-36-46_57.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	75113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-27_08-36-56_641.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	75114   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-15_16-08-01_531.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	75115  

Old 09-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tealstar,
Now that you have posted the pictures, I stand by my recommendation. Who pays is another question. I can not answer that question. For your family's safety, you have no choice.

Nobody knows what is going on inside the tire. After 8 years and about 88K miles, a thumping developed in a front tire. Had both tires dismounted and inspected by a Michelin dealer. Neither he or I could find a problem anywhere on the tire. I purchased new front tires and the thumping went away.

My last recommendation is to have Santa bring you a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). It would have saved you from this situation. With a TPMS installed you would be negotiating a new Schrader valve for the valve stem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

A sticking valve stem is hardly the fault of someone checking air pressure. If you had checked your tire pressure daily as you're supposed to that damage would have been prevented. That's a nice coach, towing a nice car. I ain't buying the can't afford two new tires.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Chas: What??? Check pressure daily? What Michelin guide are you quoting that from?
The air pressure never deviated from 110# for almost 3 years!
The kid showed me how the stem can stick off center and slowly leak. I watched him do it in the water tub and then fix it.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I've spent half of the last 6 years in 5 major abdominal surgeries and 54 chemo & radiations unable to work. I'm cleaned out of money, esp for new tires, regardless of what few toys are left.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
The coach is 10 years old, the car is 16 years old, the bike is 5 years old...it looks good cuz I take care of things.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an inside dual blow out a couple years ago and that was about $12,000 to repair the damage.

I wouldn't drive on those tires for anything. Period.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
The air pressure never deviated from 110# for almost 3 years!
110#s!?

IMHO, you're way over inflated and your tire damage may have been caused by impact damage.

Michelin says, "Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire’s contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire that’s overinflated for the weight it’s carrying is more prone to a harsh ride, uneven tire wear, and impact damage."

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
TomN: 110# is the fill requirement for these tires. That's what the tire dealer & mfg recommend.

What document are you getting your information from please?
Old 09-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for posting your feedback Arch.
I'm not going to name the tire dealer, who is well known, until I contact the heirs---who are all women.

The guys running the place say this is "cosmetic" which means safe.
So, I say to the CS Director, " safe" & "cosmetic" are 2 different denotations; put in writing the tires are "safe" to drive on with the same "performance guarantee" the late founder built his success on.
Nope. Won't say safe.

I have completely lost all faith and trust in American businesses, particularly in the RV industry. I wish seeing America in this thing was never a dream, because what American businesses do to destroy Americans, is as bad, or worse as those overseas who hate America.

I'm stuck, can't get to the job I was headed to, and money flying out the window for parking.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
TomN: 110# is the fill requirement for these tires. That's what the tire dealer & mfg recommend.

What document are you getting your information from please?
Actually, the manufacturer recommends 110 lbs on order for the tire to safely carry it's maximum load of 4675 lbs in a single configuration or 4410 lbs in a dual configuration. So, if your motorhome tips the scales at 26,990 lbs then you need 110 lbs in the tires. But if your motorhome weighs less you can safely run lower pressures. For your reading pleasure you can peruse the load and inflation table that Michelin publishes here: Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables